Bought some Flytanium Copper scales from a user but cant get the lanyard tube to fit. Ideas?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
plshelpme

Bought some Flytanium Copper scales from a user but cant get the lanyard tube to fit. Ideas?

Post by plshelpme »

Hey all! Bought a set of flytanium copper scales second hand and for some reason, the lanyard tube will NOT fit on one side of the scales. Its as if one set of the scales has a very slightly smaller hole. Do you have any ideas on how to get it to fit? A C-clamp didnt help. Freezing the tube didnt help. Flytanium recommended I buy a Ti backspacer without flared ends but to be honest I dont want to spend anymore money, haha. Thank you!

*EDITED - Buying, selling, and trading is not allowed on our forum. - TazKristi*
TenGrainBread

Re: Bought some Flytanium Copper scales from a user but cant get the lanyard tube to fit. Ideas?

Post by TenGrainBread »

If it's less than a millimeter of material that needs to be removed, some 200 grit sandpaper or thereabouts should be able to remove some material relatively evenly inside the hole.
If it's more than that that needs to be removed, drill it out (mill or drill press best, handheld if you're desperate).

Copper is pretty soft as metals go, so you're in a good position here to modify it.
Evil D

Re: Bought some Flytanium Copper scales from a user but cant get the lanyard tube to fit. Ideas?

Post by Evil D »

The factory lanyard tube has been flared on the ends to fit tightly in the scales/liners so the ends of the tube are bigger than the tube itself. Maybe you can sand the outside edge of the flare down a bit so it fits? I'd try to gently chuck it in a drill and sand it a little at a time and test fit it until it works.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
plshelpme

Post by plshelpme »

Thanks guys, i'll give it a shot tonight! Should I use like a dremel or just hand sand it? Also, there seems to be a little bit of copper on the outside of the holes (which has no interference with the lanyard tube). Any suggestions on how to remove that and smooth it out? Here's a picture https://i.imgur.com/PQ2UMzX.jpg. I really appreciate your help!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Those burrs on the lanyard holes look like it was drilled through from the other side with a dull bit and no backing plate. A drill press with a countersink can remove the burr, but will most likely leave a small chamfer. To enlarge the hole a reamer is the tool of choice, with the scale centered and clamped firmly to the mill or drill press.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Wow, can't believe those passed QC with those massive burrs. Easy fix with a deburring tool or sandpaper or dremel, but still, might be worth returning.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Looks to me like someone has driven an oversized drift through the softer copper.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

If possible, I would return them. Too expensive to get that poor a specimen!