Large fixed blade- s35vn vs 3v

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Large fixed blade- s35vn vs 3v

Post by Ankerson »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:14 am
Would love a blade like this in lc200n, which I’ve never tried actually but sounds perfect. Doesn’t seem to exist at the moment.

Interesting Ankerson. I guess it’s a question of a blade that is maximally tough to handle just about anything, most of which fictional, or another that is more than likely enough for what it will actually be used for. With better corrosion resistance.

Thanks for everyone’s takes.

Yes, S35VN will work fine, no real need to even worry about it. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Would love a blade like this in lc200n, which I’ve never tried actually but sounds perfect. Doesn’t seem to exist at the moment.

Interesting Ankerson. I guess it’s a question of a blade that is maximally tough to handle just about anything, most of which fictional, or another that is more than likely enough for what it will actually be used for. With better corrosion resistance.

Thanks for everyone’s takes.
There are steels that do both. H1 Aqua Salt or, if you can find one, Rock Salt. Rust proof and tough as nails.
:unicorn
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Lucabrasi wrote:
WATERWAY. WATERWAY. WATERWAY.

Tough as nails. Comfortable in any position, with enough grip for anything from fine woodcarving to batoning. 100% rust proof. Nearly perfect sheath.

WATERWAY. WATERWAY. WATERWAY.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I’ve wanted a waterway for a while. But it’s a different type of blade. Thin stock, inch and a half shorter. It appeals to me very much, but isn’t the type of knife I’m currently looking at.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

to the original question- I would pick S3V. If the buyer was very interested in corrosion resistance then S35VN wouldn't be a bad choice.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:58 am
I’ve wanted a waterway for a while. But it’s a different type of blade. Thin stock, inch and a half shorter. It appeals to me very much, but isn’t the type of knife I’m currently looking at.
Out of curiosity, what would this knife be used for a Waterway and $25 Fiskars hatchet wouldn't do better?

I've tried a lot of knives in this class and I've ended up parting ways with them all. For my uses I found a thin, lightweight fixed blade with 4-5" of blade cuts better, while a hatchet or machete is more purpose built for their respective roles.

I have hung on to my 9" Scrapyard Dogfather made from S7 jackhammer bit steel. It's a really fun knife. But it is also a $250 knife with an $80 sheath that is outchopped by my $25 Fiskars, despite putting a hair popping sharp convex edge on it.

Things I liked the 6" range for over a Waterway sized knife are they baton better, but I find I don't do that much when it isn't snowing.

I'd be interested to hear your perspective. I'd love to justify another fixed blade for my collection :D
:unicorn
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Hey I’ll be honest about it. It’s all fiction. I’m a collector. A decade ago I got really into free hand sharpening as a way to distract from law school and branching out in to all types of blades gave me new things to sharpen. So I collect blades because I like them. I do pretty much always have a knife on me outside of the courthouse, though, so I do use them. When I am in the woods I always have a folder and a fixed blade. I never have my hatchet. While I concede it’s the better tool for chopping it would just about never be the tool I’d have if I found myself stranded. I just might have a 6 inch fixed blade horizontal on my belt though.

So yes, it’s going to baton better. But will still give me the possibility of chopping even though not ideal. The smaller things I can do with my folder.

I do have a Cold Steel Master Hunter in 3v at 4.5 inches that does what I ultimately want the Waterway for, and does it well. But, the more knives the better I say. A rust proof option would be nice in winter.

I have a Bravo2 in 3v I find to be a bit too cumbersome on the belt. And I used to have the A1 and I miss it. But don’t want VG10 again.

So at this moment for my fictional scenario, I’m looking for the bigger blade. At another moment the Waterway will be what I need to complete the picture.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v