Large fixed blade- s35vn vs 3v

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lucabrasi

Large fixed blade- s35vn vs 3v

Post by Lucabrasi »

So I will start off by saying what I’m considering here doesn’t involve Spyderco models. If that’s bad form here please delete this.

I’m curious for any more experienced steel folk’s take on what the better steel is in a large (6inch) fixed blade. Heavy blade, over .2 inch stock, convex ground. I can go 3v or s35vn. I have experience with both, but none with s35vn in any kind of hard use scenario. By hard use scenario I mean some type of last ditch, save your life type scenario where it needs to chop wood, possibly defend against a wild animal, almost certainly entirely fictional scenario.

I have a blade in 3v that developed a bit of pitting over a single days use in muddy wet conditions. And as with folders, I find it likely that me sweating on the blade on my belt would be a source of potential damage. I know that 3v is tough, and some say it is barely more corrosion prone than stainless but I don’t know if that’s true.

Is s35vn even in the ballpark of toughness? Would the trade off of corrosion resistance for toughness be even kind of worthwhile in a blade like this? Or am I better off just taking care to wipe down the blade, as in use hitting the dirt with the s35vn will be it’s demise?
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
Lucabrasi

Re: Large fixed blade- s35vn vs 3v

Post by Lucabrasi »

I’m sorry I clearly should have posted this in the off topic forum. I don’t know how to delete this, Will a forum please delete it?
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Have you considered putting a coating on your fixed blade?

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife ... uide--3368

This may answer your question
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
carrot

Post by carrot »

If you look at the Toughness graph here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/06/03/ ... uff-steel/

And the Edge Retention graph here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/05/01/ ... fe-steels/

You can see that S35VN has slightly better, but similar edge retention to 3V, but 3V is way off the charts in terms of toughness.

If this is going to be a slicer I would choose S35VN, but if you are gonna baton and swing this sucker through some big tough materials, I'd 100% choose 3V.

The one place I might choose S35VN is on cutting a lot of abrasives, but it doesn't sound like that's this knife for you.

I have a bushcraft knife in 3V. You really have to try to rust it, aside from putting it away wet. If you wipe it down and put it dry in the sheath, you should be just fine.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I had a Fallkniven A1 in VG10 which is fairly widely beloved in that world that I sold because I felt like raising some money. Now of course I was never in any survival scenario, but I beat that knife up pretty good with wood and never had any failures with it. I have to think s35vn is as tough as vg10 at least, but maybe I am mistaken. But that’s probably a dumb way to look at it. Probably should be looking for the best steel for the job.

Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

For me a 6” FB is a tweener and not a size I ever actually reach for, but for your described uses I vote 3V all day.

I’ve got a 10” FB in 3V and I can tell you it’s my favorite “large” FB for any kind of wood/fire prep and really replaces my hatchets and small axes most of the time. Preferably this will always be paired with a sub 5” FB (or even a 4” folder.)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Here, I'll make it Spyderco relevant:

Look into the Spyderco Province - 6.75" blade of CPM 4V!!

All is cool and hope this helps,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

CPM-154 is supposed to be a fairly tough stainless.

Give Spyderco a little Respect as they may have a large fixed blade in this steel???? :D

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

[quoteWould the trade off of corrosion resistance for toughness be even kind of worthwhile in a blade like this? Or am I better off just taking care to wipe down the blade, as in use hitting the dirt with the s35vn will be it’s demise?[/quote]

That is what only you can decide. For me I'd go with 3V everyday of the week. The real key is you can keep it thinner and sharper with the extra strength and toughness. It is so easy to keep corrosion free it wouldn't figure into the equation. I just seal the blade with wax and if I get corrosive stuff like sap or blood on it I'd just clean it and reseal it when I got home. Sure you can rust a 3V knife but honestly the same conditions would probably begin rusting the stainless. It just might not proceed as quickly. With paste wax I really don't have corrosion issues but my conditions and willingness to maintain the knife is different from yours. If I do get the beginnings of corrosion on any knife I just take care of it. I grew up with knives with much less corrosion resistance than 3V so it is never really been a concern for me.

Joe
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd prefer 3v to s35vn in this application. I actually own two identical BRK's in these two steels.

Given a broader choice, I'd go with 4v, though. And the Province is a beast. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd go with 3V. I wouldn't consider S35VN forthe knife and role you describe.

Rusting fixed blades is tougher than folders in my experience.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've never had any real rust issues on fixed blades. Folders have lots of places where it's hard to clean, and where rust can hide. Fixed blades really don't. It's easy to clean them up and easy to spot rust if any gets started.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:55 pm
Here, I'll make it Spyderco relevant:

Look into the Spyderco Province - 6.75" blade of CPM 4V!!

All is cool and hope this helps,

CG
As others have said, the Province will take anything you can throw at it. It’s not stainless, so take the best care you can and don’t worry about any rust spots. Spyderco sells the Boltaron sheath for it as well if that’s what you’re looking for.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

By this time next year, I am willing to bet that most (51% or more) high end fixed blades are either 4V or S45VN.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

There's a real place for 3v in that area. I think it would be a shame if it went away entirely. I prefer 4v for many things, but for something like a machete, 3v is definitely a better choice (I do actually own a 3v machete).
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

3v.

Love my saber GNS
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

S35vn isn’t nearly as tough, more suited for outdoors use than s30v but still I wouldn’t smack it too hard. If you have trouble with corrosion then go with lc200n. I swapped my hiking companion from a bm puukko to a spydie waterway for that reason

Lc200n is on par with 1095 in terms of toughness, not quite absolutely indestructible like 3v but more than adequate for even reckless outdoor use. Plus it’s edge retention is on par with s30v.

And hey I swooped it back around to spyderco! Buy a waterway already! That goes for all of you!

edit: but I suppose if you’re set on one or the other then go with 3v, it’s a spectacular steel.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I see you love the same steel as I do. A thick stock sharpened pry bar of a knife out of LC200N would be quite something now wouldn’t it? 1/4”? Heat treat with a softer spine?

I’ll settle for a LC200N Province Bowie
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05 pm
S35vn isn’t nearly as tough, more suited for outdoors use than s30v but still I wouldn’t smack it too hard. If you have trouble with corrosion then go with lc200n. I swapped my hiking companion from a bm puukko to a spydie waterway for that reason

Lc200n is on par with 1095 in terms of toughness, not quite absolutely indestructible like 3v but more than adequate for even reckless outdoor use. Plus it’s edge retention is on par with s30v.

And hey I swooped it back around to spyderco! Buy a waterway already! That goes for all of you!

edit: but I suppose if you’re set on one or the other then go with 3v, it’s a spectacular steel.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:40 pm
So I will start off by saying what I’m considering here doesn’t involve Spyderco models. If that’s bad form here please delete this.

I’m curious for any more experienced steel folk’s take on what the better steel is in a large (6inch) fixed blade. Heavy blade, over .2 inch stock, convex ground. I can go 3v or s35vn. I have experience with both, but none with s35vn in any kind of hard use scenario. By hard use scenario I mean some type of last ditch, save your life type scenario where it needs to chop wood, possibly defend against a wild animal, almost certainly entirely fictional scenario.

I have a blade in 3v that developed a bit of pitting over a single days use in muddy wet conditions. And as with folders, I find it likely that me sweating on the blade on my belt would be a source of potential damage. I know that 3v is tough, and some say it is barely more corrosion prone than stainless but I don’t know if that’s true.

Is s35vn even in the ballpark of toughness? Would the trade off of corrosion resistance for toughness be even kind of worthwhile in a blade like this? Or am I better off just taking care to wipe down the blade, as in use hitting the dirt with the s35vn will be it’s demise?

6" blade?

S35VN all day long, wouldn't even have to think about it.

It's more than tough and strong enough to handle and use you would actually need it for.

When I was doing the testing for the Province I tested both 10V and S30V in prototypes.

I beat the crap out of the S30V blade doing things well above and beyond any reasonable abuse and it came out fine, no issues. I even ponded it into a tree and flexed the blade a lot and it didn't snap.

S35VN is good enough believe me. ;)
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Would love a blade like this in lc200n, which I’ve never tried actually but sounds perfect. Doesn’t seem to exist at the moment.

Interesting Ankerson. I guess it’s a question of a blade that is maximally tough to handle just about anything, most of which fictional, or another that is more than likely enough for what it will actually be used for. With better corrosion resistance.

Thanks for everyone’s takes.