Blemish or not? PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FreeGolf

Blemish or not? PM2

Post by FreeGolf »

Hey guys and gals,

My new PM2 k390 from Bento Box showed up today and I finally got a chance to take a peek at it. Everything I thought was good and I was about ready to make it my new work knife until this (pic) caught my eye. Hopefully you can see it in the pictures. There's some light knicks by the designer signature to where my fingernail can catch them a bit. This being a k390 blade should I be worried about that area with the knicks becoming a corrosion "hot spot" ? I live 20 mins from Spyderco and can have them check it out but am I over analyzing this? Should I just rock on? OR would this be considered blemished?

Thanks!
20201027_203533.jpg
SpyderGrill

Re: Blemish or not? PM2

Post by SpyderGrill »

I would "rock on"
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Relax, don't worry, go slice some stuff.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I wouldn't worry about it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

If it's going to be a work knife then those are probably just the first of many battle scars, right? On the other hand I do understand wanting to receive a perfect knife when you pay $200. If it makes you feel better, my k390 pm2 is probably my favorite pm2, and it's steadily accumulating it's share of dings and scratches. Character.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I certainly wouldn't worry about it. You should be able to do worse than that in the first week or two.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Technically yes, it is blemished but it's a very minor blemish. I have bought factory seconds with similar scratches to that.

If you plan to use the knife, my suggestion would be to not worry about it.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it was bought to be a collection piece and never used I'd be upset about it but if you actually use your knife it'll probably get worse scratches than that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, obviously a blemish. If it is a collector piece send it back. If it is a user then use it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

Thanks to everyone who responded. I should have named the title of the thread to something better. I'm not worried about the aesthetics of the "blemish" but about the potential of a oxidation/rust trouble spot there. This isn't my first stainless but my first in k390.

I do feel better since I slept on it and no one here mentioned a fear of oxidation as well. I knew you guys and gals would say if there was a potential issue here.

Now that being said, I don't really like knowing I paid full price for what could be considered by some a "blemished" knife. Definitely subjective I get it. Especially since I live so close to SFO and do commonly frequent the second sales. But there is no guarantee I would find a k390 pm2 of similar quality anyways and it was part of last years manufacturing. I actually put one back last years second sale. Oh well, it must be destiny this one ended up with me now. I'm happy.

Thanks again.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Oxidations attacks surfaces, and little scrapes like that do mean greater surface area, but I wouldn't really be any more concerned about that than a perfectly flat surface. What could happen, however, is that those little indentations might trap and hold little quantities of moisture, and that could lead to surface corrosion (probably faster than increased surface area by itself). Personally, it wouldn't bother me though.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Here are scratches on a factory second.
Attachments
281AEB0F-DB43-4F4C-9BA5-F99FD89415F2.jpeg
4EDDB44E-5F81-42C8-B65C-034D163E829E.jpeg