Choosing the Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tgmr05

Choosing the Chaparral

Post by Tgmr05 »

Most of the time I prefer to carry in the pocket, not clipped. I am older, so I suppose the term pocketknife stuck. I admit I sometimes carry fixed blades, multitools, and even some larger folders clipped or in a sheath, but am always looking for that optimal pocketknife. The Chaparral appears to be the current Spyderco solution for that quest.

The Chaparral is a tough small lightweight thin slicer with a deceptively long cutting edge for it’s size. Some photos may help, though I am not the best at taking photos.

First one just shows how much a clip adds to the thickness of a knife, hence why I remove them for pocket carry. On the Chaparral, it really adds quite a bit in comparison.

Next photo shows one way to see the size of their footprint. This shows how close the Dragonfly, Lil Native, and Chaparral are - from this viewpoint.

This one shows thickness, and also how efficiently the blade length fits in the handle. Notice the Chaparral and Manbug blades use almost all the space in the handle, vs the Delica/Dragonfly/Native/Lil Native.

Which is why, as this photo shows, the Chaparral cutting length is very, very close to the same length as the Native. While the Chaparral is thin and slicey, it also has liners which give a little extra strength and weight for those times when a little extra is needed. It is a deceptively tough little knife, though it is not a pry-bar.

This last photo shows not only blade thickness, but also lockbar thickness. This helps show why some have an issue with the way it feels to operate the backlock. It is simply very thin with no detent. There are mods to help, either moving the spring or smoothing out the edges, but usage and time also help overcome that initial feeling of discomfort. The Chaparral does not feel like a fidget friendly knife, but it definitely grows on you.

FrenchBlob

Re: Choosing the Chaparral

Post by FrenchBlob »

Nice review, very informative for size comparisons ... As I have a FRN Chaparral, I was hesitating buying a DF2. I was afraid of a too short grip for 4 fingers. It seems that the grip length of the DF2 is very similar to the Chap's one...

I made my choice, I will definitely try the upcoming DF2 Salt (hope so fingers crossed :) )

And due to all those threads about SE, i think I'll try my first Serrated Edge .. thx PeaceInOurTime, Wartstein and all other SE aficionados

Thank you,

My 2 apples, Frenchblob
Last edited by FrenchBlob on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

A picture ... in this case ... is worth a million words! Thanks

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Good choice. Enjoy !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Great comparison and review! :)

You practically mentioned all I too Iove in that perfect little knife and better than I could (resp. than in fact I DID mention a lot of times here already... :rolleyes: )

I may add what a great, rock solid backlock the Chap has (internal stop pin) and emphasize what you said about the construction and built quality: This is actually a very solid little knife, capable of real, hard work. No one should hesitate to use it for any knife task, in quite a few it will perform better than many other Spydies, due to the thin, slicey blade.

I put it once that way: The Chap FRN could never be my number one folder, but would most likely always be my number two, regardless whatever number one might be (some large, serrated one). So if I could only have TWO folders, the Chap would be one of those two.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:36 pm
Nice review, very informative for size comparisons ... As I have a FRN Chaparral, I was hesitating buying a DF2. I was afraid of a too short grip for 4 fingers. It seems that the grip length of the DF2 is very similar to the Chap's one...

I made my choice, I will definitely try the upcoming DF2 Salt (hope so fingers crossed :) )

And due to all those threads about SE, i think I'll try my first Serrated Edge .. thx PeaceInOurTime, Wartstein and all other SE aficionados

Thank you,

My 2 apples, Frenchblob
You will be quite happy with the Dragonfly, a great ‘little big knife’. Unless you have x-large hands, a four finger grip is what really makes the knife feel so good.

A se Dragonfly in AUS-8 was my first Spyderco. Sold me on se.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:36 pm

Just a quick sidenote, don´t want to derail the thread: I am sure you know that there IS a serrated DFLY Salt already, right (sabre hollow grind H1) ? So I assume you´re talking about the (hopefully upcoming) LC200N ffg version, right? (Good idea in my book, especially in SE!)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:42 pm
Great comparison and review! :)

You practically mentioned all I too Iove in that perfect little knife and better than I could (resp. than in fact I DID mention a lot of times here already... :rolleyes: )

I may add what a great, rock solid backlock the Chap has (internal stop pin) and emphasize what you said about the construction and built quality: This is actually a very solid little knife, capable of real, hard work. No one should hesitate to use it for any knife task, in quite a few it will perform better than many other Spydies, due to the thin, slicey blade.

I put it once that way: The Chap FRN could never be my number one folder, but would most likely always be my number two, regardless whatever number one might be (some large, serrated one). So if I could only have TWO folders, the Chap would be one of those two.
I have definitely enjoyed and agree with the enthusiasm for the Chaparral and all the incredible scenery/photos you post. They always inspire. I took a day off today and figured to start a thread, for once. I must admit the first photo above - I actually took when I misread the title of your thread on - easy to sharpen/high edge retention pairs... Then I saw how it clearly showed how much the clip sticks out on the Chap...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:42 pm
I have definitely enjoyed and agree with the enthusiasm for the Chaparral and all the incredible scenery/photos you post. They always inspire. I took a day off today and figured to start a thread, for once. I must admit the first photo above - I actually took when I misread the title of your thread on - easy to sharpen/high edge retention pairs... Then I saw how it clearly showed how much the clip sticks out on the Chap...

Thanks for your kind words, I feel honored and am glad if you find things you like in my posts! :)

You should definitely start threads more often, your write up, thoughts and comparisons are of high quality imho.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nice selection of knives! I happen to like them all! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Nice photos and comparisons!

Chaparral is one of my favorites
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I've never handled a Chaparral but always wanted to. I'm a Dragonfly guy thus far as that's really the only Spydie that has stuck around for a significant period of time. These comparison photos are top notch by the way. Great post!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great breakdown! The Chaparral is still pocket perfection! Here's a similar shot I took: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 9#p1148774
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I did similar comparison shots in the past with the Dragonfly, Urban, Chap, UKPK. In my opinion... UKPK takes the cake when it comes to smaller models with wire clips. It's a masterpiece. The Chap is definitely a nice knife though, a bit too slim in hand for my preferences.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I too, love the chaparral clipless, dropped in the pocket. It is an actual pocket knife, as you said! Extremely solid and well built, with a nice thin, slicey blade. What a novel idea! I’m so glad I gave it a shot. It is definitely one of my all time favorites.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kobold

Post by kobold »

Also removed the clip from my raffir noble. Added bonus: the pattern is much nicer on that side.

Keeping it on the FRN though.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I only carry my Chaparrals clipless. It is the epitome of pocket knife design.

Why is there no Salt version?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 pm

The Chaparral series has always been a knife series with a certain level of integrity, from my observations at least. The design and blade steel remain consistent but each model showcases a new handle material or texture. My guess is that adding a Salt version would have been a departure from that consistency.

The Sage series was similar to the Chaparral series in a certain way but a Maxamet Sage 1 was introduced in Reveal V6, so it wouldn't surprise me if we see a Salt Chaparral eventually.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:14 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 pm

The Chaparral series has always been a knife series with a certain level of integrity, from my observations at least. The design and blade steel remain consistent but each model showcases a new handle material or texture. My guess is that adding a Salt version would have been a departure from that consistency.

The Sage series was similar to the Chaparral series in a certain way but a Maxamet Sage 1 was introduced in Reveal V6, so it wouldn't surprise me if we see a Salt Chaparral eventually.

Yes, as far as I know the Chaparral series was meant as a platform to display various handle naterials, just like the Sage series to display various locktypes - while the steels - XHP resp. S30V - remain the same in each version.

But since Sal hinted that the Sage 5 LW could come in other steels either in the future: Maybe there is hope for the Chap too (though I personally am more than just fine with XHP)
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Like Wartstein, I really like XHP, but would not turn down a lw salt Chap or maybe an s90v version. A thin slicey supersteel, hmm..