Spyderco pre-order question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DDK

Spyderco pre-order question

Post by DDK »

Just a quick question in regards to spyderco pre-orders. (more specifically from blade HQ if that makes a difference) I have the LW P4 k390 on pre-order, and don't mind the wait, but is there any typical timeframe spyderco goes by to drop pre-orders? (Super excited to rock k390 in a huge folder 😬)
TazKristi

Re: Spyderco pre-order question

Post by TazKristi »

DDK wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:51 pm
Just a quick question in regards to spyderco pre-orders. (more specifically from blade HQ if that makes a difference) I have the LW P4 k390 on pre-order, and don't mind the wait, but is there any typical timeframe spyderco goes by to drop pre-orders? (Super excited to rock k390 in a huge folder 😬)
Hi, DDK:
We don't offer pre-orders, so there's no special protocol from us related to those. Many dealers offer pre-orders, but we have no insight or guidance as to how those are handled from one dealer to another. I'm sure some of our members will chime in with their own experience.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

There's no typical time frame. You just have to be patient and wait it out
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It's a mystery to us all!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

For knives announced in the Reveals, Spyderco's goal is to release them within 90-120 days of the Reveal. The Police 4 lw k390 was in Reveal 6 in early September, so that means in a perfect world it'd be shipping to dealers like BHQ by December or January. Obviously 2020 has thrown a wrench in a lot of plans, though, so we just have to wait and see.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:39 pm
For knives announced in the Reveals, Spyderco's goal is to release them within 90-120 days of the Reveal. The Police 4 lw k390 was in Reveal 6 in early September, so that means in a perfect world it'd be shipping to dealers like BHQ by December or January. Obviously 2020 has thrown a wrench in a lot of plans, though, so we just have to wait and see.
And on the other side of that coin, the green Pacific Salt 2 and Atlantic Salt from Reveal 6 are on the shelve at the SFO. So, there's no telling. I was surprised when they showed up. :)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DDK wrote:
Just a quick question in regards to spyderco pre-orders. (more specifically from blade HQ if that makes a difference)
I've dealt with Blade HQ in the past and found them to be a straight-up company. I was ready to place a pre-order with them after the latest reveal, but their non-refundable five dollar deposit rubbed me the wrong way. Instead I ordered from one of their competitors (knifecenter) that also allows preorders. They don't charge me until they fill the order. I think that's a little more fair.
Last edited by RustyIron on Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Just beware. A pre-order is not a guarantee. I believe the dealers make their best effort not to take more pre-orders than they can fulfill, but things are not entirely in their control. What you want to avoid is waiting for a preorder for something you really want and then waiting and watching knives available for sale come and go, only to be disappointed. You can play this game any way you want and your mileage may vary. Indeed BladeHQ has always been a stand up outfit with me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:57 pm
Just beware. A pre-order is not a guarantee. I believe the dealers make their best effort not to take more pre-orders than they can fulfill, but things are not entirely in their control. What you want to avoid is waiting for a preorder for something you really want and then waiting and watching knives available for sale come and go, only to be disappointed. You can play this game any way you want and your mileage may vary. Indeed BladeHQ has always been a stand up outfit with me.
This is why I usually only do pre-orders when I know I'm getting in line early enough that I'll be pretty much guaranteed my order will be fulfilled. Sometimes if it's questionable, I'll go ahead and place the pre-order. When the knives start to drop I have the option of buying one from another dealer if they're available before my pre-order with first company is filled. Then I'll go ahead and cancel my pre-order once I get my shipping notification. This is also why I won't usually place a pre-order with a dealer that requires a deposit.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

In this case it is a regular production item so I’m sure you will get it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DDK

Post by DDK »

Sorry I couldn't respond any sooner! I appreciate the clarification a lot, this makes a ton of sense. Now on to choosing a different spyderco for the time being 😬 any suggestions? Going for something that prioritizes edge stability.

Thank you all for the replies!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Not even Spyderco know when it's coming but I can't wait!

I've done the preorders before, usually always get the knife but I also usually end up buying it else where because they have it first and I'm impatient.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
DDK

Post by DDK »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:54 pm
DDK wrote:
Just a quick question in regards to spyderco pre-orders. (more specifically from blade HQ if that makes a difference)
I've dealt with Blade HQ in the past and found them to be a straight-up company. I was ready to place a pre-order with them after the latest reveal, but their non-refundable five dollar deposit rubbed me the wrong way. Instead I ordered from one of their competitors (knivecenter) that also allows preorders. They don't charge me until they fill the order. I think that's a little more fair.
That's actually good to know (about knifecenter) I appreciate that but of info.. I would far prefer not to spend five bucks (even if it's not much money) for something I don't know I'll even get or not...
Danke

Post by Danke »

I pre-ordered a Swayback from Blade HQ. They didn't fill my order in the first run but the second one. It was fully seamless but I did not get an email about it. I only knew is was there because I also had the in stock alert tagged.
DDK

Post by DDK »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:40 am
Not even Spyderco know when it's coming but I can't wait!

I've done the preorders before, usually always get the knife but I also usually end up buying it else where because they have it first and I'm impatient.

Hahaha that sounds something like I would do that's hilarious 😂