How has SG2/Supergold treated you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

How has SG2/Supergold treated you?

Post by awa54 »

I have the Massdrop Endura and so far it hasn't really impressed... not that SG2 is a *bad* steel, but it just doesn't seem to go above and beyond the "competent mid range stainless" level of performance.

I'd be interested in your opinions and any tips for getting the best out of SG2.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JMM

Re: How has SG2/Supergold treated you?

Post by JMM »

I've got the (Mass)Drop SG2 Delica and I think it's a perfectly good performer, seems pretty comparable to S30V in terms of edge retention and ease of sharpening, it's better than I thought it would be, certainly better edge retention than I have experienced using Vtoku2.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Only use is in kitchen knives where it’s great. I imagine it is hardened significantly higher in my Kurosaki, but sharpens easier than S30v to me, with a stickier edge. Since it’s a kitchen knife, where I’ve never used S30v I can’t speak to edge retention, but it has been a very stable edge. Doesn’t seem to require frequent stropping to keep its sticky edge.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I had a Fallkniven F1 in 3G (SG2) and it seemed like a decent mid-range steel, that had nice sharpening response, and a somewhat dull edge could be stropped back to shaving sharp with absolute ease. I never experienced any edge damage, but primarily used the knife on softer woods. I even stropped the edge back with bare leather, which really impressed me, because I hadn't (at that point) seen a steel react so positively to bare leather (aside from the more basic steels).

Performance probably isn't the same with Spyderco’s SG2, but I doubt there's much of a difference between what Spyderco and Fallkniven put out. The basic behaviors of the steel shouldn't differ dramatically between makers, unless one had a bad heat treat, so I feel the comparison has validity.

For a folder, it seems like a steel that could be maintained for long periods of time, with just a little stropping here and there, with sharpenings much less often. I've done this with VG10 and had success.

SG2 is tougher than S30V and is run harder as well, so it should be able to handle lower edge angles, which would boost cutting performance.

With frequently stropping and a lower edge angle, the steel might be more enjoyable for you.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

In my use SG2 has pretty much been comparable to s30v. I don't have any really thin edges in it though. My most used SG2 is a Fallkniven, but I do own the (Mass)Drop Delica as well.