How About A High Caliber Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BLUETYPEII

Re: How About A High Caliber Hawkbill?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:40 am
Carbon fiber is wonderful stuff, but I doubt we’ll see it on a Salt series Spyderco. The reason is galvanic corrosion. Carbon is so electrically noble that type 316 stainless fasteners on CF hulls need to be regularly replaced due to corrosion in salt water.
The Superhawk isn’t a Salt series: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C116/312

However if a high end Salt hawkbill is what’s wanted. I think a Spiderhawk in LC200N with a titanium handle would be the way to go. You could get it customized to any color if desired.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:52 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Carbon fiber is wonderful stuff, but I doubt we’ll see it on a Salt series Spyderco. The reason is galvanic corrosion. Carbon is so electrically noble that type 316 stainless fasteners on CF hulls need to be regularly replaced due to corrosion in salt water.
The Superhawk isn’t a Salt series: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C116/312

However if a high end Salt hawkbill is what’s wanted. I think a Spiderhawk in LC200N with a titanium handle would be the way to go. You could get it customized to any color if desired.
I’d like that, so long as the titanium was milled to provide grip when wet. No sense having a high-dollar Salt that slips out of the hand when wet.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:52 am
Bill1170 wrote:

It's a common but honest mistake. It's the Spyderhawk model that they did a Salt Series version of. The Spyderhawk and Superhawk models are very frequently mistaken. Now many people either were not here at the time or just don't remember that very first run of the Spyderhawk model was first a VG-10 bladed model that was first introduced in the main line up back in 2003 ( dating myself :o ).

No the Superhawk was a really unique model and I believe it might have been the result of that big Hawkbill thread that myself and Dr. Hannibal Lecter M.D. both started back in 2005. The big Hawkbill thread still pops up from time to time ( Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill). We ran that thread for almost a solid year and the Superhawk came forth afterwards. I still to this day can't for the life of me understand why they never offered the SUPERHAWK in full SE :confused: . When all the other Spyderco Hawkbill models sold far more units in SE than they did in PE. I think with the Harpy model for instance it's probably about 97% SE and there were only about 3% in PE. It's darn hard to find a PE Harpy unless you go directly to that Japanese distributor of G-Sakai>> Not sure they even still sell here in the USA.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 am

I would love a locking and a slip joint hawk billed blade with the spidie hole towards the tip where the fingernail groove is.
Spyderco could do something similar by creating a Swayback with a hawkbill blade. Slysz design would be cool for a new hawkbill.

But what I would actually prefer is a SpyderHawk sprint with FRN scales and an upgraded steel. I feel that Spyderco pretty much nailed it with the original SpyderHawk design.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Great minds...
I mentioned earlier the roadie/swayback love child with the hawkbill shape blade.
Maybe a Harpy/Swayback could be a Franken-knife? Harpsway? Now I am really getting out there. OK, back to the Hawksbill...
Last edited by Fireman on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

It would not need the cut out in the handles obviously if the blade was a Hawksbill blade. I still like the Falcon name, maybe the falcon could be a modified Harpy blade? Retro knife nerds will love this knife. I had a Hawksbill knife as a kid and just loved that knife. What would be better for this fantasy knife, a leather pouch with two clips on the pouch and a lanyard or pocket clip on the knife?

Last edited by Fireman on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

samdasnake wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:14 pm
Fireman wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 am

I would love a locking and a slip joint hawk billed blade with the spidie hole towards the tip where the fingernail groove is.
Spyderco could do something similar by creating a Swayback with a hawkbill blade. Slysz design would be cool for a new hawkbill.

But what I would actually prefer is a SpyderHawk sprint with FRN scales and an upgraded steel. I feel that Spyderco pretty much nailed it with the original SpyderHawk design.
If a Slysz Hawkbill had the same handle set up as the Slysz Bowie did I would be all for that. Yeah I really beefy, stout Hawkbill would make perfect sense.

I'm also think along the same lines remembering the old Chinook III model>> that would also make a very stout Hawkbill folder too. :cool: