How About A High Caliber Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M Sea

Re: How About A High Caliber Hawkbill?

Post by M Sea »

Yes please on the Micarta. That would be really cool!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Not so much for me... i value the salt hawkbills. Linerless FRN is preferable for my uses.

Kobold's idea about something with a SpydieChef-like build could be cool, though pretty small-niche like the Tusk. I probably wouldn't spring for it tho.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Stop making micarta handles. I already have more knives on my to buy list than I can handle (pun intended). I am not sure that I can resist a micarta handled hawk billed locking knife with the spidie hole towards the tip.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:15 am
IMO, a G-10 hawkbill with FFG, LC200N blade would be awesome. With the less-aggressive serrations, like on the Endela. As far as I’m concerned, the G-10 could even be without liners. That would make it almost a Salt knife.

Unfortunately, G-10 Seki models tend to be overly-expensive. And they would most likely have to be made by Moki; I don’t know if G. Sakai (Spyderco’s main Seki maker) even works with G-10 or not. A better option might be to have them made in either Golden or Taichung.

Jim
There was a thread I started over a year ago trying to see how many of you guys who have liked to had a GOLDEN made Hawkbill. Even Sal chimed in and asked what we wanted>> but for some strange reason the thread went dead after that.

I would be all over a Hawkbill made at the GOLDEN, CO plant. I have an affinity for models made in GOLDEN,CO USA and I usually put most of the GOLDEN made users in my EDC rotation.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I could go for a cru-carta Superhawk :) . I've only ever user hawkbills with a PE never a SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:14 pm
I could go for a cru-carta Superhawk :) . I've only ever user hawkbills with a PE never a SE.
Interesting? Because at least 90% to 95% of the people I talk to like Hawkbills in SE far more than they do in PE. But you must use it for cutting chores where PE has advantages? If you could be so kind to give us a couple of uses that you use your PE Hawkbill models for?
Kale

Post by Kale »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:00 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Interesting? Because at least 90% to 95% of the people I talk to like Hawkbills in SE far more than they do in PE. But you must use it for cutting chores where PE has advantages? If you could be so kind to give us a couple of uses that you use your PE Hawkbill models for?
I've been meaning to start a topic on this... Spyderco users seem to like SE Hawkbills for gardening tasks, but traditional Hawkbill-shaped garden tools are generally plain edge (sickles, billhooks, etc.). I'm not sure what to make of that, but I'd like to hear what people think.

If we see a new Spyderhawk in lc200n, I just hope it's not green! For what people are using these for, green is the last color I would choose.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

What are your thoughts on a flipper action Hawksbill with the Roadie double concave grip in the fat part of the blade with the non functional smaller spydie hole near the pivot? I would want one with or without the flipper but a flipper would be a new spin (pun intended) on an old design. A fidget Hawksbill would be fun and useful while offering something new.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JD Spydo wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
I used to install carpets years ago. I think cutting carpet works better with a hawkbill. I never had a SE hawkbill to judge its usefulness.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:25 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
I used to install carpets years ago. I think cutting carpet works better with a hawkbill. I never had a SE hawkbill to judge its usefulness.
That's an interesting subject you bring up. Because I've got two good pals that are carpet layers and have been for years. They only use plain edged blade hawkbill knives and I've tried to get them to try out one of SE Spyderhawks and they aren't at all interested in even trying for whatever reason :confused: .

Oh I do know for a fact that plain edged Hawkbill blades have their legitimate uses. But for the jobs I use my Hawkbill blades on I've found that Spyderco's SE Hawkbills serve me the best by a long shot. But that's not at all saying the PE Hawkbills are of no use because I know for sure they do excel at certain jobs. But it's been weird here on this forum that most people I talk to only want SE Hawkbill blades.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I think making hawkbill versions of existing US models would be neat, if possible. Lil' Native, Para 3, Manix 2, Shaman, UKPK?

A Native Salt Hawkbill would likely be on my list. (Wharncliffe versions would be acceptable, too :) )

Aesthetically, I really like the titanium handle on my Byrd Hawkbill/Meadowlark blade swap, but titanium is generally too pricey for me in the Seki and US models.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:29 pm
I think making hawkbill versions of existing US models would be neat, if possible. Lil' Native, Para 3, Manix 2, Shaman, UKPK?

A Native Salt Hawkbill would likely be on my list. (Wharncliffe versions would be acceptable, too :) )

Aesthetically, I really like the titanium handle on my Byrd Hawkbill/Meadowlark blade swap, but titanium is generally too pricey for me in the Seki and US models.
Well I've heard in the past that the Spyderhawk for instance is a Hawkbill version of the Endura model. I think there is a lot of truth to that because they use the exact same handle. Also there were a few of the Spyderhawks that they made and they mistakenly used an "ENDURA" handle that had the name ENDURA stamped on it instead of the correct model name "SPYDERHAWK". Collectors and serious Spyder-heads call this special model "The Endura-Hawk". That Endura-Hawk was only made in VG-10 as far as I know.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

Well I've heard in the past that the Spyderhawk for instance is a Hawkbill version of the Endura model. I think there is a lot of truth to that because they use the exact same handle. Also there were a few of the Spyderhawks that they made and they mistakenly used an "ENDURA" handle that had the name ENDURA stamped on it instead of the correct model name "SPYDERHAWK". Collectors and serious Spyder-heads call this special model "The Endura-Hawk". That Endura-Hawk was only made in VG-10 as far as I know.
The Matriarch and the Pacific Salt (though linerless) also have the same handle as the Endura. The entire "Endura line" of knives uses the same handle with different blade shapes in all the different sizes. I like that they do this -- there are so many options for blade and handle swaps.

Since the Para Military 2 (possibly the only locking US model to get a different blade shape?) just got a tanto option, maybe it would be a good model to try out a hawkbill (and wharncliffe, reverse-s, recurve, etc.)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

If I can have FFG, CPM 4V I'm in. I don't care what the handle is.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:33 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

Since the Para Military 2 (possibly the only locking US model to get a different blade shape?) just got a tanto option, maybe it would be a good model to try out a hawkbill (and wharncliffe, reverse-s, recurve, etc.)
That would be most interesting. I would like to try a Para2 Hawkbill. Heck they could do a Hawkbill version of the C-36 Military model as well and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Last night I was thinking that a love child of the Swayback and the Roadie would be good. Hawkbill shape blade with the double dimples and signature non functional spydie hole of the Roadie with a contoured titanium handle of the Swayback would last several lifetimes. The steel? I can see S30V, Rex and my favorite LC200N for a knife that would last a millennium (The Millennium Falcon sprint run? I would buy one in less than 12 parsecs). I like the Falcon as a name though :). Spydie Falcon! Falcons cut through the air faster than a hawk. Thin BTE?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When you think about it there are certainly a lot of possibilities considering taking classic Spyderco models and making a Hawkbill version of them. I heard that they now have a tanto version of the Para2. If they are going to that extreme they can certainly do a couple of classic models with a Hawkbill version.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

On a similar note, I'd like to see a reverse S blade given the Superhawk treatment. But serrated of course!
Thinking a Super Matriach :)

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I can’t help but think a high end Superhawk would be awesome.

Marbled carbon fiber handle maybe?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Carbon fiber is wonderful stuff, but I doubt we’ll see it on a Salt series Spyderco. The reason is galvanic corrosion. Carbon is so electrically noble that type 316 stainless fasteners on CF hulls need to be regularly replaced due to corrosion in salt water.