Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Yes, I would like either UKPK, Urban or both
80%
No, I prefer the already leaf shape
16%
No, the UKPK or Urban models don’t interest me
4%

Total votes: 69

foofie

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Post by foofie »

So if I would buy at least three, do I get three votes :D
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Sal I'm glad you're watching this, the UKPK is a fantastic design and really is begging for a wharnie blade in whatever steel you deem best. I think it would be such an elegant gentleman's folder that would be light and just disappear in the pocket. Wish I had photoshop skills to do a mock up.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:51 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm
I woukd not mind seeing this happen on the UKPK. However I’d prefer a regular wharncliffe without that over rounded style.

Do you think the Urban had an over rounded style? I’d imagine the UKPK wouldn’t look much different.

Its okay, but I would drop the spine down a bit.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:22 pm
Dazen wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:51 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm
I woukd not mind seeing this happen on the UKPK. However I’d prefer a regular wharncliffe without that over rounded style.

Do you think the Urban had an over rounded style? I’d imagine the UKPK wouldn’t look much different.
Its okay, but I would drop the spine down a bit.

That would look good! I wish I was proficient at photoshop to be able to do a mock-up of both the Urban and UKPK. Anybody out there with the skills?!

While I’m fine with FRN in theses models, I would like to see at least G10 due to the spinning pivot.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

foofie wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:22 pm
So if I would buy at least three, do I get three votes :D
I don’t think you’re the only one!

As far as the backspring, I like both, but I do think the full length one looks more refined. I guess it just comes down to whatever they are tooled up for.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Glad to see Sal is watching this one! It's well known that the UKPK is loved by many around here, myself included. I'd be all for this as well. I've had the AEB-L Urban and that was also a nice design. I'd prefer to see the UKPK as the wharncliffe...but I certainly wouldn't turn down the Urban. Not picky, nor a particular preference in the steel used.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Rab

Post by Rab »

I rotate carry the orange g10 wharnie urban with my AEB-L Urban as my edc blade here in the UK.
I would absolutely LOVE a UKPK wharncliffe.
My preference for handle would be FRN to keep things light but I could go G10 with a nice hard wearing steel.
I think colour of handle is important on a legal carry knife in the UK, I don't want anything too tactical looking. Light grey or denim blue would be nice, or a brown or pakkawood version would be amazing
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

If it’s the UKPK CPM SPY27 could be a steel choice as it’s a Golden model. Plus the Cobalt blue frn... :)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Definitely count me in for a wharncliffe ukpk with a steel upgrade.

Seems there is a lot of interest for these special ukpk versions but we are still waiting for something to happen. Remember the ukpk salt?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:29 pm

Seems there is a lot of interest for these special ukpk versions but we are still waiting for something to happen. Remember the ukpk salt?
Yes. *Patiently waiting* using my Native Salts in the meantime.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:48 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:29 pm

Yes. *Patiently waiting* using my Native Salts in the meantime.

How awesome would an LC200N Green FRN Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe be! Don’t all the peeps in the UK need a Slippy Salt with all that dreary weather! ;)
Dane

Rab

Post by Rab »

Yep, I'd have one of those too, be nice to see the drop point blade shape in the new Salt option. Was there ever a sheepsfoot UKPK ?

Edit.
Just found pics of the rescue version, yeah a new salt version of that in either PE or SE as well please ;)
jdw

Post by jdw »

I would definitely buy a UKPK and have felt the tug towards more Wharncliffe blades myself. The UKPK would do more for me than an Urban. A Wharncliffe blade in an UKPK would be a cool homage to the blade's roots and Golden just killed the HH version of the UKPK, while the last Urban that I bought (AEB-L) wasn't the best quality.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I would absolutely prefer a wharnie UKPK over an Urban.

I’m actually not super interested in seeing another SE rescue version only because of a recent bad experience with one of my UKPKs when I was using it a bit too “hard” and forgot it was a slipjoint. While trying to pierce open a hard plastic jug, the blade slid off, snapped close and drove itself to the bone right above the top joint of my middle finger on my right hand. I’ve “knicked” myself plenty of times with my knives but this one was a doozy, and six weeks later it’s still not quite healed and the muscle in that spot doesn’t quite “operate” properly :rolleyes:.

The only reason I bring this up is that I think folks might similarly try to “overuse” a SE wharnie or rescue UKPK and do something similar. To me, that type of blade just begs for harder use, and dopes like me might forget every so often they don’t have a lock and end up with a similar outcome (or worse). Now that said, I did cut myself with a PE leaf blade one, so I guess I shouldn’t have any UKPKs :p :D. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:05 am
I would absolutely prefer a wharnie UKPK over an Urban.

I’m actually not super interested in seeing another SE rescue version only because of a recent bad experience with one of my UKPKs when I was using it a bit too “hard” and forgot it was a slipjoint. While trying to pierce open a hard plastic jug, the blade slid off, snapped close and drove itself to the bone right above the top joint of my middle finger on my right hand. I’ve “knicked” myself plenty of times with my knives but this one was a doozy, and six weeks later it’s still not quite healed and the muscle in that spot doesn’t quite “operate” properly :rolleyes:.

The only reason I bring this up is that I think folks might similarly try to “overuse” a SE wharnie or rescue UKPK and do something similar. To me, that type of blade just begs for harder use, and dopes like me might forget every so often they don’t have a lock and end up with a similar outcome (or worse). Now that said, I did cut myself with a PE leaf blade one, so I guess I shouldn’t have any UKPKs :p :D. Cheers, Radioactive

One of the reasons I enjoy the Urban so much is that it is one of the few knives that rides clipless in my suit pants daily without too much bulk. The UKPK does the same in all other pants and shorts I wear.

I see your point on SE and Slip Joints, and that Spyder Bite sounds nasty. I’ve never had a SE Slip Joint, and I tend not to push my Slip Joints too hard. The only thing I can compare it to is the Manbug Salt, which I love and wish that other knives I have packed that kind of punch. If you’re resentful to your Rescue UKPK at all you’re more than welcome to send it my way! :D
Dane

Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Count me in for a Wharnie UKPK...
Rab

Post by Rab »

Ok, I hear you. Let's go with a PE sheepsfoot as well. :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wharnie UKPK with something akin to a scaled up Air blade would be the bees knees.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Voted for the UKPK Wharnie. Maybe blurple G10 scales?
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:41 am
Wharnie UKPK with something akin to a scaled up Air blade would be the bees knees.

This would be an awesome blade profile, especially with that little bit of swedge! I guess it would be kind of like a Drop Point Wharncliffe.

Dane