Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Yes, I would like either UKPK, Urban or both
80%
No, I prefer the already leaf shape
16%
No, the UKPK or Urban models don’t interest me
4%

Total votes: 69

Dazen

Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Post by Dazen »

I see all this new talk on Wharncliffe blades shapes and what seems to be enthusiasm behind them. What do y’all think of bringing back the Urban Wharncliffe or producing a UKPK Wharncliffe, in either FRN or some other scale material?

I personally would love to see an S90V smooth CF version of each!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Woodpuppy

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m in. The Urban wharnie looks awesome. I’ve got it in AEB-L, a wharnie version with the same steel would be great. It would be great in BD1 (no N) too, that steel gets sticky sharp with basic ceramics and a strop. Heck I’d be happy with ye olde VG10. Or clad hap40! Just make it slicey! I’d need to see a UKPK mockup, but I bet it would be a crowd pleaser.
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

I’d be interested in an Urban version for sure. AEB-L please!
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’ll honestly take any steel/scale combo, I’d even love a SE option as well.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have always been a big fan of the Urban Wharncliffe. I'd definitely be in for another run of G10 Urban Wharnies!
-Nick :bug-red
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

For sure, another Wharny Urban would be great.

K390 would make a perfect pair with the leaf bladed K390 version.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm with Dazen on this.

But Woodpuppy why your preference for BD1 over BD1N. I've got a few Byrds and a LW Manix in BD1 and a couple other Spydies in BD1N and see BD1 as a step down in steel. Maybe I'm missing something?
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:41 pm
For sure, another Wharny Urban would be great.

K390 would make a perfect pair with the leaf bladed K390 version.
I like this idea!
-Turbo
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I woukd not mind seeing this happen on the UKPK. However I’d prefer a regular wharncliffe without that over rounded style.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I would like a UKPK Wharnie, preferably G10 handled.

I did vote yes, honestly though I'm really hot for a drop point UKPK with a G10 handle.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I would be happy with either. But would prefer the UKPK if there were only one model made.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm
I woukd not mind seeing this happen on the UKPK. However I’d prefer a regular wharncliffe without that over rounded style.

Do you think the Urban had an over rounded style? I’d imagine the UKPK wouldn’t look much different.

Dane

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:44 pm
I'm with Dazen on this.

But Woodpuppy why your preference for BD1 over BD1N. I've got a few Byrds and a LW Manix in BD1 and a couple other Spydies in BD1N and see BD1 as a step down in steel. Maybe I'm missing something?
I’ve never used bd1n, so I can’t compare. I was impressed with the sharpening response of the BD1. It’s easy to make it just sticky sharp. Does the bd1n preserve that?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I voted yes because I have basically every variant of both models. No offense to CTS-BD1N (it’s OK), but I’m really hoping any new variation would be S30V (or better), similar to the recent HH red G10 exclusive UKPK. A G10 model of either the UKPK or Urban deserves something more special than a value-minded steel. Another point nobody has mentioned is that UKPK has been made in Golden; the Urbans have been made either in Japan or Maniago. Depending on which model is chosen, this history may affect the steel choice. Of course just making it in K390 will solve all that! ;) :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I own the original Urban Wharnie, the only real knock against it in my book is that the thicknes behind the edge (on mine at least) was both inconsistent and very thick.

Before I'd buy another wharnrcliffe version of either pattern I'd buy a Titanium or G10 handled M390/Sleipner/Elmax leaf shaped Urban.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:26 pm
I voted yes because I have basically every variant of both models. No offense to CTS-BD1N (it’s OK), but I’m really hoping any new variation would be S30V (or better), similar to the recent HH red G10 exclusive UKPK. A G10 model of either the UKPK or Urban deserves something more special than a value-minded steel. Another point nobody has mentioned is that UKPK has been made in Golden; the Urbans have been made either in Japan or Maniago. Depending on which model is chosen, this history may affect the steel choice. Of course just making it in K390 will solve all that! ;) :)
S30v would really sink it for me. K390- yeah. Hap40, aeb-l, Cruwear, even good ol’ vg10. Just not s30v please.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

K390 with G10 in the same dark turquoise as the rest of the Seki line would be awesome! FRN, SE or even the same grey as the K390 Urban would all be great options as well.
Dane

sal

Post by sal »

I'm watching. I'd like to see where it goes?

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:59 pm
Bemo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:44 pm
I'm with Dazen on this.

I’ve never used bd1n, so I can’t compare. I was impressed with the sharpening response of the BD1. It’s easy to make it just sticky sharp. Does the bd1n preserve that?
In my experience yes. No weird gummy burr issues like 8cro13Mov and easier than s30v.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Yes, yes and yes please!
The urban can obviously be made with a wharncliffe. The orange g10 sheepsfoot ukpk shows that the ukpk handle can also accomodate a wharncliffe blade without any change.

Two easier options I see - an exclusive/sprint, or regular production.
- If regular production, I would hope for s110v wharncliffe with the same blue frn handles as on the leaf shaped blade. BD1N is probably more likely.
- if exlusive, then the HH s30v might be a nice prototype - ie g10 scales with s30v blade?

Sorry to introduce yet another variable - I love the half-length tuning fork (like on the frn) rather than the full length backspring. Just my preference. This would not stop me from purchasing multiples either way.