Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Yes, I would like either UKPK, Urban or both
45
79%
No, I prefer the already leaf shape
9
16%
No, the UKPK or Urban models don’t interest me
3
5%
 
Total votes: 57

User avatar
Dazen
Member
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Texas U.S.A. Earth

Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Dazen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:21 pm

I see all this new talk on Wharncliffe blades shapes and what seems to be enthusiasm behind them. What do y’all think of bringing back the Urban Wharncliffe or producing a UKPK Wharncliffe, in either FRN or some other scale material?

I personally would love to see an S90V smooth CF version of each!

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2293
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Woodpuppy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:27 pm

I’m in. The Urban wharnie looks awesome. I’ve got it in AEB-L, a wharnie version with the same steel would be great. It would be great in BD1 (no N) too, that steel gets sticky sharp with basic ceramics and a strop. Heck I’d be happy with ye olde VG10. Or clad hap40! Just make it slicey! I’d need to see a UKPK mockup, but I bet it would be a crowd pleaser.
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

jkurtz7
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby jkurtz7 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:30 pm

I’d be interested in an Urban version for sure. AEB-L please!
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize

User avatar
Dazen
Member
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Texas U.S.A. Earth

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Dazen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:03 pm

I’ll honestly take any steel/scale combo, I’d even love a SE option as well.

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 3094
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Mushroom » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:15 pm

I have always been a big fan of the Urban Wharncliffe. I'd definitely be in for another run of G10 Urban Wharnies!
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1385
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Cambertree » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:41 pm

For sure, another Wharny Urban would be great.

K390 would make a perfect pair with the leaf bladed K390 version.

Bemo
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:00 pm

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Bemo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:44 pm

I'm with Dazen on this.

But Woodpuppy why your preference for BD1 over BD1N. I've got a few Byrds and a LW Manix in BD1 and a couple other Spydies in BD1N and see BD1 as a step down in steel. Maybe I'm missing something?

User avatar
bbturbodad
Member
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby bbturbodad » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:06 pm

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:41 pm
For sure, another Wharny Urban would be great.

K390 would make a perfect pair with the leaf bladed K390 version.
I like this idea!
-Turbo

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 10008
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Doc Dan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm

I woukd not mind seeing this happen on the UKPK. However I’d prefer a regular wharncliffe without that over rounded style.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


https://www.facebook.com/fallplanet Author page

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Enactive » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm

I would like a UKPK Wharnie, preferably G10 handled.

I did vote yes, honestly though I'm really hot for a drop point UKPK with a G10 handle.

User avatar
Ngati Pom
Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:37 am
Location: Un Zud

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Ngati Pom » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:06 am

I would be happy with either. But would prefer the UKPK if there were only one model made.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson

User avatar
Dazen
Member
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Texas U.S.A. Earth

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Dazen » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:51 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm
I woukd not mind seeing this happen on the UKPK. However I’d prefer a regular wharncliffe without that over rounded style.

Do you think the Urban had an over rounded style? I’d imagine the UKPK wouldn’t look much different.

Image

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2293
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Bemo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:44 pm
I'm with Dazen on this.

But Woodpuppy why your preference for BD1 over BD1N. I've got a few Byrds and a LW Manix in BD1 and a couple other Spydies in BD1N and see BD1 as a step down in steel. Maybe I'm missing something?
I’ve never used bd1n, so I can’t compare. I was impressed with the sharpening response of the BD1. It’s easy to make it just sticky sharp. Does the bd1n preserve that?
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

User avatar
RadioactiveSpyder
Member
Posts: 4039
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: Lost in space

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby RadioactiveSpyder » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:26 pm

I voted yes because I have basically every variant of both models. No offense to CTS-BD1N (it’s OK), but I’m really hoping any new variation would be S30V (or better), similar to the recent HH red G10 exclusive UKPK. A G10 model of either the UKPK or Urban deserves something more special than a value-minded steel. Another point nobody has mentioned is that UKPK has been made in Golden; the Urbans have been made either in Japan or Maniago. Depending on which model is chosen, this history may affect the steel choice. Of course just making it in K390 will solve all that! ;) :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

User avatar
awa54
Member
Posts: 2401
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 am
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby awa54 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:37 pm

I own the original Urban Wharnie, the only real knock against it in my book is that the thicknes behind the edge (on mine at least) was both inconsistent and very thick.

Before I'd buy another wharnrcliffe version of either pattern I'd buy a Titanium or G10 handled M390/Sleipner/Elmax leaf shaped Urban.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2293
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:44 pm

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:26 pm
I voted yes because I have basically every variant of both models. No offense to CTS-BD1N (it’s OK), but I’m really hoping any new variation would be S30V (or better), similar to the recent HH red G10 exclusive UKPK. A G10 model of either the UKPK or Urban deserves something more special than a value-minded steel. Another point nobody has mentioned is that UKPK has been made in Golden; the Urbans have been made either in Japan or Maniago. Depending on which model is chosen, this history may affect the steel choice. Of course just making it in K390 will solve all that! ;) :)
S30v would really sink it for me. K390- yeah. Hap40, aeb-l, Cruwear, even good ol’ vg10. Just not s30v please.
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

User avatar
Dazen
Member
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Texas U.S.A. Earth

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Dazen » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:08 pm

K390 with G10 in the same dark turquoise as the rest of the Seki line would be awesome! FRN, SE or even the same grey as the K390 Urban would all be great options as well.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13985
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby sal » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm watching. I'd like to see where it goes?

sal

Bemo
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:00 pm

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby Bemo » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:19 pm

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:59 pm
Bemo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:44 pm
I'm with Dazen on this.

But Woodpuppy why your preference for BD1 over BD1N. I've got a few Byrds and a LW Manix in BD1 and a couple other Spydies in BD1N and see BD1 as a step down in steel. Maybe I'm missing something?
I’ve never used bd1n, so I can’t compare. I was impressed with the sharpening response of the BD1. It’s easy to make it just sticky sharp. Does the bd1n preserve that?
In my experience yes. No weird gummy burr issues like 8cro13Mov and easier than s30v.

foofie
Member
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Urban/UKPK Wharncliffe

Postby foofie » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Yes, yes and yes please!
The urban can obviously be made with a wharncliffe. The orange g10 sheepsfoot ukpk shows that the ukpk handle can also accomodate a wharncliffe blade without any change.

Two easier options I see - an exclusive/sprint, or regular production.
- If regular production, I would hope for s110v wharncliffe with the same blue frn handles as on the leaf shaped blade. BD1N is probably more likely.
- if exlusive, then the HH s30v might be a nice prototype - ie g10 scales with s30v blade?

Sorry to introduce yet another variable - I love the half-length tuning fork (like on the frn) rather than the full length backspring. Just my preference. This would not stop me from purchasing multiples either way.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abbazaba, Bing [Bot], Enactive, GarageBoy, JMM, JRinFL, Mr Blonde, StuntZombie, tbdoc4kids, TenGrainBread, tyd450 and 45 guests