TkoK83Spy wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:01 am
Wartstein wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 pm
Well, then just lengthen the blade about the 4 mm that would fit into the handle? That would give the otherwise exact same model a pm2-ish cutting edge. Don´t think that would make the knife more cumbersome in any task, but more versatile in some... (and the blade gets shorter anyway over time due to sharpening)
Honestly...when have you EVER used a knife and cut something from tip to ricasso/choil and weren't able to cut whatever it was you were cutting?? Or get to the ricasso/choil and thought "this knife would have been so much better with 4 more mm of edge" I'm willing to bet NEVER. Come on now...it's getting VERY OLD, day in and day out multiple times a day across almost every model imaginable.
I could understand asking about an inch or a half inch, but nitpicking these couple mm's on so many models or favoring a model because of it is ridiculous. You might as well carry a sword or at minimum something like a Z Cut in a small little sheath and you'll have more than enough cutting edge. A Z-Cut is also a lot lighter than most of these LW folders (which is a big deal to you as well) Problem solved
Reply about the values of a longer edge see post above.
) a friendly reply to your imho a bit unreflected remarks and way of putting those:
- This is a thread Vivi obviously started with the intention, that people could voice whatever they´d potentially like to see in a "Manix 3". One of my (and several others) suggestions is a longer cutting edge, without changing much else
- I´ve pointed this out to you several times already: This forum mostly IS about discussing rather little details, that may make a (more or less) slight difference for one, and not for the other: Of course a few more mm cutting edge is not a big deal, but just a small difference (and a small advantage for many) - but this is NO DIFFERENT to you yourself for example preferring G10 over FRN (practically, you could really do any task with an FRN knife as well as with a G10 knife), or even you preferring a Manix over a PM2 (practically both can do most tasks equally well). Still, no one ever says it´d be "ridiculous" that you prefer G10 or the Manix (cause there is 1.) no reason for that and 2.) this is not the tone people communicate in here normally)
It is a bit strange that you sometimes seem to believe it is on you to decide which little details matter and are ok to be discussed, and which are not...
- You saying I´d ask for more cutting edge (quote) "day in and day out multiple times a day across almost every model imaginable" IS indeed ridiculous though and I may ask you in all friendliness to be a bit more thorough with such statements. Again, this forum is not about you and also not about you and me discussing. There are many new members and many who read threads and posts just occasionally and to put other members (in this case me...
) in a bad light in a totally exaggerated way is not what I see people do here normally ever.
To put that out of the way once and forever:
- Yes, like many others here I see the advantages of longer cutting edges
- This is nothing theoretical, but based on my real use of knives in various tasks
- So sometimes (for example with the Manix) I mention that I love everything in a model, but just miss a bit more cutting edge from time to time (like you might say you like everything in a model but sometimes would like it to have a G10 instead of FRN handle or whatever)
- I assume that you just don´t do the knife tasks I do, cause if two models are equal in any other aspect, sure I´d prefer the one that gives me "a few mm more of edge", cause this makes it a bit more versatile in my use
- Still: I really don´t advocate for more edge "on almost every model imaginable". I like most models just as they are. Still, when comparing or deciding between two models, length of cutting egde is one (of several) factors I do consider and do point out.
And the Manix for me personally
would be just-a-tad-even-better if the blade would be a bit longer. Again, based on many years of real use and real experience. If I cut an apple with my Stretch 1 (81mm of edge) and then with my Manix 2 LW (74mm of edge) I DO notice the (slight, but still) advantage of the Stretch concerning edge length
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40