nerdlock wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:08 pm
I've been struggling with making a thread for an updated Manix for months now, but I was apprehensive that I still do not have enough forum cred to garner attention and maybe even offend people who are already content with the current Manixes. I love the Manix but like you say, it has flaws in the design and if an updated version can correct these flaws, they would have another stellar product that will sell out Sprints and Exclusives like the PM2 /Para3 platform. I've actually done some mockups in Photoshop on some ideas on how to make the Manix better - like reducing the folded footprint and making it less of a pocket hog, to increasing the blade length while retaining the handle size, although your idea of removing the choil seems like a much, much better idea overall (i never used to choil part, too uncomfortable). I'll try to dig in my laptop if I can still find that photoshopped mockup later.
Funny, like you I also began to start a thread about an updated Manix several times ("Manix 2.0"), but never really finished one...
Some points generally and specifically concerning the ideas in this thread (Yours, Vivis...) so far:
- Though I sligthly prefer the backlock over the CBBL (my Nr.1 and Nr.2 locktypes), I would like to KEEP the Manix a CBBL knife - just cause there are so few of those out there
- IF the Manix remains to be a CBBL knife: I am pretty sure it has to have some kind of choil technically, due to the space the CBBL requires inside the handle? (And so, Vivi, a Manix like in your mock up probably could not be made, unless it would get a backlock?)
- Though I am generally more of an "edge all the way to the handle"-guy, in the Manix I like the choil anyway. I use my lightweights choked up on the choil about 90% of the time I´d say - and in a work knife that one might use continuously over a long period of time, being able to change the grip from time to time can be a good thing concerning comfort
What I DON`T like though (and this of course IS a consequence of the choil) is the short cutting edge of the Manix - this clearly reduces its versatility, and I carry the Manix not really as a general EDC folder, but more like a smaller work knife with superior ergos and grip options, but limited due the short edge in some tasks
- So: I´d give the Manix a longer edge just by l
1.) Lengthening the blade (there´d be space for that in the handle, and it has not even reached the 3.5" "legal limit" yet)
2.) Perhaps reducing the blade part of the choil a bit and lengthen the handle part of the choil (make it more "kapara-ish") - by that it could get more edge in a blade of the same length.
In order to keep the grip area behind the choil the same length, the "beak" at the end of the handle would then have to be moved back a bit (like in the Stretch)
- The "No choil backlock Manix" should come true then in the form and shape of a "Rock Jumper XL with mellower thumb ramp"...
- I would not like to see the width of the Manix to get reduced!! This wide handle and wide blade are exactly what I like in this model and what make for the handfilling grip.
Furthermore, for me personally a LONG folder in the pocket can bother me, but not a WIDE folder - actually, the lightweight Manix carries so amazingly well exactly because
it is so light relatively to its size
. Exactly this makes it very "stable" and "unbouncy" in thinner, wider pockets: Not a perfect comparison (especially since folders have pocket clips), but think of it like this: If you have two balls of the exact same weight, but in one the mass is concentrated in a ball of just 1" diameter, in the other in a ball of 10" diameter. Now which ball would bounce around more and stabilize itself less when put in a pack on your back and you run with it?
- Vivi, 3mm blade stock at max (or actually 3.2 with the Manix), I am totally with you
- There absolutely should be an LW version of the XL!
- There even more so absolutely should be a full ffg SE version, at least in the LW BD1N versions!
- The S30V G10 "base model" of a Manix 3 (whatever this would look like) should get the milled out liners and the lighter weight of the other G10 versions.
I have more thoughts, but little time at the moment...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40