Chaparral Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TSINGA

Chaparral Lightweight

Post by TSINGA »

Today I received a knife that I have had my eye on for awhile. I hadn't pulled the trigger on the purchase because of all the reviews that mentioned the uncomfortable back lock release. Mine is firm, but not exactly what I'd consider uncomfortable. This knife feels perfect in my hand. I have several Spyderco's that are still new in the box that will be on eBay next week!

If anyone has both the FRN and the CF model can you comment on the differences in hand? If you could only keep one which one would you keep? Are the scales the same as the Sage 1?
sal

Re: Chaparral Lightweight

Post by sal »

Hi Tsinga,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've never found the lock bar uncomfortable on any of my Chapparals. I prefer the Boye dent on my back lock knives, but it's not a deal killer for me, and I have never really understood the folks who think the Chap lock is uncomfortable.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I don't have a Sage 1 or a Chaparral LW but I can tell you the Chaparral CF and RN are two of my very favorite knives. Very slicey.

The CF is a nice middle ground between grippy for hands and slick for pockets, and tough as you know for daily carry.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I tend to use/carry the lw more than the cf. Mostly due to the difference in weight, plus it does cost a little less. Between the two, I definitely like the looks of the cf more than the lw, though. Hard to say which I would keep, if limited to one.

The lw may feel slightly more grippy under hard use as the frn is done very well.

The cf is very similar to the sage 5.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

The Chaparral LW is an excellent knife!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:52 pm
The cf is very similar to the sage 5.
The CF on the Chap is identical to what's used on the Sage 1. It does feel similar to what's used on the Sage 5

I agree with your observations. I like the utility of the Chap LW but the CF version is pretty much the ideal gents knife for me. Both have room in my collection and neither is going anywhere. I'd have a hard time parting with either. That might change when I get the maple one
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My Chaparral LW is one of my favorite work EDCs. The thin blade is super sharp, and the wireclip & light weight makes it disappear in my pocket.

I've thought about getting the Raffir Noble version just because I like how it looks. Just haven't yet because there are other knives on my want list.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I’ve never found the lock bar on my Chap LM uncomfortable. It is narrow but it’s not so stiff as to be hard to use. One issue I have with my Chap LW is that the slots for the wire clip aren’t quite deep enough - the clip slipped out and damaged my scale. But as I understand it this has been fixed in CQI so this is likely no longer an issue.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Mine is perfect.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

If I could only keep one ... it would be the Sun/Moon. It just clicks with me - visually and in hand (G10). There really is something special about it!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

I carry the Chaparral LW as my EDC. It's in my pocket at least 90% of my days, and that's a conservative estimate. My back lock release is a total non issue for me; I don't find it difficult or uncomfortable to operate whatsoever. While I do agree that my (non CQI) clip grooves are shallow, I've not had any problems with my clip (I'm admittedly probably quite easy on it though).

I can't comment about other Chaparral models, but for me, this knife is excellent.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

No issues with the back lock here. I tote my chap LW clipless, dropped in the pocket. It’s a fantastic knife that I almost didn’t give a chance. I’m so glad I did! I actually haven’t carried it with a clip on it so I can’t comment on that but it seems like it was designed to not have one. I can even drop it in one of my shirt pockets at work in the shop and it’s comfortable there too.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TSINGA wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:25 pm
Today I received a knife that I have had my eye on for awhile. I hadn't pulled the trigger on the purchase because of all the reviews that mentioned the uncomfortable back lock release. Mine is firm, but not exactly what I'd consider uncomfortable. This knife feels perfect in my hand. I have several Spyderco's that are still new in the box that will be on eBay next week!

If anyone has both the FRN and the CF model can you comment on the differences in hand? If you could only keep one which one would you keep? Are the scales the same as the Sage 1?

Congrats! :)

I only have the FRN version and it is the most perfect little knife I have ever used...

Only "problem": After using a Chap, most other folders, even Spydercos, feel unnecessarely thick-bladed and hindered in their performance by that. And I never felt like I could break the Chap blade, despite using it for any tasks I´d use a thicker folder for (so also in more "hard use").
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

For me, the thicker the handle, the better. I am even hoping for a fluted version one day. But no matter which one you pick, they are all good enough to be used, and used hard.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10