Is my Para 3 Maxamet legit? (Photos)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TitaniumBarbell

Is my Para 3 Maxamet legit? (Photos)

Post by TitaniumBarbell »

Hi folks! I bought this Para 3 in May and I'm trying to figure out if this is a genuine knive. Why I'm suspecting? In only 5 months the edge has changed, it does not have the same sharpness. Now is very hard to cut a regular amazon box now even shipping tape. I'm using 1 or 2 days per week maximum, very light use, only cardboard and tape mostly.

I bought this on amazon: seller: Stash Man (he change his stores name to: Wolf Trail Outdoors from Florida.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.
Attachments
2B70BE3F-2A04-4D69-857D-FAF45FAB2117.jpeg
7F14E3A1-B8D9-43E7-8CEA-B46BFF80C3E3.jpeg
6493454C-D253-4A55-9710-81AE691F7B9F.jpeg
410DDAE7-9B77-401E-93DE-E3FC873CFEE5.jpeg
JRinFL

Re: Is my Para 3 Maxamet legit? (Photos)

Post by JRinFL »

Hi, welcome.
I do not have the same model to compare against so I cannot directly help you. I would call Spyderco and they will have you check a few things and possibly have you send it in for inspection.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Based on your pictures and comparing them to my para3 in 204p, it looks legit to me.

Edit to add: the factory edge sometimes has fatigued steel, so will not perform as well initially as it will after you sharpen that surface layer away. And even maxamet will get dull eventually.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TitaniumBarbell

Thanks for your observations.

It costs me $200.00 and really feels solid and well constructed.

Any other observation will be appreciated.

I'm thinking send to factory for a sharpened.
Do I need to register the Para 3 to get this service?

I attached another photo.
Attachments
B9806C91-4323-4B45-B188-74B77D8AA442.jpeg
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

really only Spyderco can give a definitive answer on legitimacy questions, but that said, there's nothing odd that jumps out at me
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Are you sure the edge is clean of glue and tape residue from cutting boxes?

What do you have to sharpen with?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sounds like it needs sharpened. Cardboard dulls things pretty fast, even Maxamet.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You don't need to register to send a knife in to Spyderco. There is info on the website. I'm sure they will confirm if it is authentic, and sharpen it well for you.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Welcome to the forum!

All steel dulls with use and needs to be resharpened to perform at its best.

Maxamet is no exception to this.

The way you cut can have a strong influence on the way a knife wears. I mean you can set two people to the same tasks with identical knives and the edge of each could be in quite a different state afterwards.

The speed at which you cut cardboard will increase micro impacts from silica and various other inclusions. Also the angle at which you cant the blade off vertical has an influence as well - most people have a slight sideways cant to their cutting technique due to the natural asymmetry of using one dominant hand.

So I’m just saying that it’s not really possible to say that x steel should last for x amount of time in a sharp state.

Also as Julia said, most factory edges will perform better after being properly sharpened a few times.

Having said that, my Maxamet Para 3 came with a very nice edge and yours seems the same to me, just based on your pics.

Spyderco will sharpen it for you if you send it in.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Blade finish and patina look legit to me. If you've been using it for 5 months I would expect it to need a sharpening. As others have mentioned you can send it to Spyderco for sharpening or if you want to keep it sharp look into getting a Sharpmaker and touch it up when you feel it beginning to lose sharpness.
-Turbo
TitaniumBarbell

jpm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:07 pm

I cleaned it today with Hoppes gun cleaner and applied Hoppes oil. Lets see if this helps.

No, I never sharpen my knives, although I remember I bought early 2020 a Cutco Kitchen knife set block which includes a sharpener. Can I use it with no risk of damaging the knife?

Thank you all for the comments and helpful tips. I was very discouraged with my Maxamet regarding quality per value.
vivi

Post by vivi »

there's no more reason to be discouraged with your knife than there is being discouraged after buying a new car and 5 months later discovering it needs gas :)

I would not use the kitchen knife sharpener. Those are designed for softer steels common in kitchen knives.

There is a lot of sharpening info here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84678

It's a lot, so here's a few options for you:

1. Sharpmaker. Its a very simple system that takes a lot of the guess work out of sharpening. The sharpmaker will leave a very fine, sharp edge on your knife. This is one of the best options if you don't already know how to sharpen.

2. Sandpaper. Very economical option. You can get a variety pack and have different grits to work with, but you'll need to find a way to secure it, like clamping it to a desk or gluing it to scrap wood.

3. Harbor Freight four sided diamond stone. I use these and love them. They will work fast on any steel, even Maxamet. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-sided-d ... 92867.html

If you haven't learned how to sharpen yet I would recommend practicing on a cheaper knife before trying to sharpen your $200 Spyderco.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

TitaniumBarbell wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:48 am
jpm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:07 pm

I cleaned it today with Hoppes gun cleaner and applied Hoppes oil. Lets see if this helps.

No, I never sharpen my knives, although I remember I bought early 2020 a Cutco Kitchen knife set block which includes a sharpener. Can I use it with no risk of damaging the knife?

Thank you all for the comments and helpful tips. I was very discouraged with my Maxamet regarding quality per value.
Like Vivi says, I advise not using the pull through scraper, if that’s what it is, it will leave a damaged edge. I suggest you throw it in the trash.

And yes to the sharpmaker, it will be some of the best knife related money you ever spend. Get the diamond or cbn rods, they are extra.
TitaniumBarbell

I will buy the 4 sided diamond stone next week.

Thanks for your advices.

This is what I have here.
Attachments
DD7B07D3-928F-4A50-892D-5EA05AB25103.png
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

TitaniumBarbell wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Thanks for your advices.

That thing is not good, for any knife, especially for a high carbide steel. Use a sharpmaker or some bench stones to properly sharpen it and give it a good enough edge, if not you'll be very frustrated and better off with a low alloy steel.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I would suggest a Sharpmaker as your first purchase, even though it is more expensive than the diamond block. I had no sharpening skills before I got one, and I, and it, can make my knives sharp now. It is good for beginner sharpeners, good to learn with, and even our expert sharpeners still use and recommend it.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Beside all the other info and good advice already given by forum members, something else to consider is knives even unused can dull due to moisture. When I lived in Tennessee, I'd have to sharpen everything much more frequently than anywhere else I have lived, and pepper rust spots occurred easily as well. I don't know how many times I pulled out a knife to carry that had been put away sharpened and had lost its razor edge.

Definitely some areas are much better about this than others, however.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ti Barbell,

Welcome to our forum.

It is just my opinion, but I would suggest that you throw away that sharpener and get a Sharpmaker.

sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Sharpmaker with CBN or Diamond rods - Diamonds to set the edge and apex, fine to refine the coarse edge a bit
That pull through sharpener thing will chip out your edge, if it can cut it (maxamet is HARD)
vivi

Post by vivi »

emanuel wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:38 am
TitaniumBarbell wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Thanks for your advices.

That thing is not good, for any knife, especially for a high carbide steel. Use a sharpmaker or some bench stones to properly sharpen it and give it a good enough edge, if not you'll be very frustrated and better off with a low alloy steel.
I would completely disagree. Its a benchstone and it can properly sharpen knives.

I have used that stone to get shaving sharp 200-300 grit edges on H1, S110V, K390, A2, LC200N, M4, VG10 and others. I have a sharpmaker with diamond rods that I barely use on PE knives these days while that diamond stone is my go to. Also own DMT and Venevs, and I choose it over them.

I would still highly suggest Titanium Barbell practices on cheaper knives first. You do not want to try to sharpen a $200 knife on a coarse diamond stone for your first attempt at free hand. Watch some youtube tutorials, ask questions here, and practice on less expensive knives.