Power Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: Power Lock

Postby p_atrick » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:06 am

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:11 am
Is there anyone who ever broke a Spyderco backlock? Functionally, the PowerLock appears no different. What is the advantage? Could the PowerLock be an expensive solution to a non-existent problem?
You can have a stop pin along with the backlock. I know that configuration has tested well. Surely the Triad lock is encumbered with patents, so the PowerLock is a way of approximating its behavior. I started this thread because I was hoping to see some shots of the lock itself and maybe a video of how the locks functions when engaging and disengaging. The thread took an unexpected turn when Sal asked which model would be a good candidate for the lock. I am mostly just curious about the mechanics of the lock and not necessarily advocating its return.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Postby Doc Dan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:08 am

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:11 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:03 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Get enough sand and grit in that gap and it could prevent the lock from locking by jamming the toggle.
The gap is closed when the knife is open and locked, so a simple wipe with your thumb before working the lock would be enough to prevent problems.

Yes, that gap between the toggle and the lock bar concerns me. That well could be blown out, but this joint at the toggle/lockbar seems to me to be a potential problem. I am not saying that it is, but it looks like getting gunk in there could pose a problem with lockup.
Yep. And using lugnuts to hold the wheels on your car instead of welding them on could lead to wheel loss on the road. The gap is closed when the knife is closed or open. If wiping your thumb down the spine of the handle to the lock release is too much effort for you, by all means avoid this lock.
I am sorry you are offended. I have an honest question regarding this lock. I have no experience with it and I have yet to see a test on it, except the one done by Cold Steel, of course.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

curlyhairedboy

Postby curlyhairedboy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:59 am

I'd be curious to see this on some of the more defense-oriented knives. I know many of them already have the sturdy compression lock, but stuff like the civilian/matriarch line still relies on a conventional lockback. I could see the added strength of the power lock doing a lot to assure peace of mind - the matriarch is not a knife you want closing on you.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

navin johnson

Postby navin johnson » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:08 pm

The ricasso will protect your hand if the lock fails been there done that.

What are lockbacks not strong enough for?

The debris in my area consists of course sand and clay based dirt it f**** up compression locks liner locks and ball locks. Mostly it locks the knife open so it is unclosable. Lockbacks are the easiest to clean out and easiest to close in this environment

Axis locks are terrible in debris also. Never use one for food prep either while you're camping as botulism is only a day away..... Very difficult to clean the debris from food out of the mechanism without disassembling.

If perceived lock strength is more important than steel and ergonomics and quality then go get a cold steel

A $35 Phil Wilson copy made by Spyderco is stronger than any folder out there and safer.

Tools for the job.....

Bill1170

Postby Bill1170 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:33 pm

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:59 am
I'd be curious to see this on some of the more defense-oriented knives. I know many of them already have the sturdy compression lock, but stuff like the civilian/matriarch line still relies on a conventional lockback. I could see the added strength of the power lock doing a lot to assure peace of mind - the matriarch is not a knife you want closing on you.
The way the reverse-S blades are meant to be used (slashing cuts) doesn’t place a heavy burden upon the lock. These are not for thrusting cuts. The simple mid lock seems totally adequate on these models.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”