ROCK JUMPER - Mr. Janich's Opinion for Yojimbo's Backup

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Julien Viapiana

ROCK JUMPER - Mr. Janich's Opinion for Yojimbo's Backup

Post by Julien Viapiana »

Hi Mr. Michael Janich. Love Spyderco knives and your work in the defense field. Simply admirable.

I've got a Yojimbo 2 that I carry in my pocket in my daily basis. I was looking for a "backup", to carry in my other pocket. Delica Wharncliffe was my first choice, but due to my mid/large hands, I can't get a strong grip with it and feel confident. However, since the Rock Jumper came up, I was wondering how suitable it could be for a self-defense situation, comparing to a Delica? Is it a good option?

What is your opinion?

Thank you and Stay Safe!
JRinFL

Re: ROCK JUMPER - Mr. Janich's Opinion for Yojimbo's Backup

Post by JRinFL »

Hello and welcome!

I'm obviously not Mr. Janich, but this thread from earlier might answer your questions. There are some good comparisons pictures as well. https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86533
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Julien Viapiana

I'll take a look for sure.

Thanks a lot mate!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Julien,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Canis?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Julien Viapiana

Hey Sal. Thank you! Hey y'all..

About the Canis. I haven't tried it yet. In Brazil it's kinda tough to find it. I'm lucky to be an owner of an Yojimbo blackout though. I'm looking forward to try Canis out.

However, for a "backup knife", I was looking for a more pocket friendly one. That's why I went with the Delica Wharnie. After realizing it's too small for my hands (can't get a strong grip), I put my eyes on the Rock Jumper. Also thought about the Endura, too long for the back pocket though.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Julien:

I apologize for the slow response--I'm on the road doing some MBC-related stuff.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Yes, the RockJumper is definitely a worthy back-up to a Yo 2. It doesn't offer a lot more grip length than a Delica, but it's wider grip is definitely more at home in larger hands.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Julien Viapiana

All the solid and reliable words I needed. Just made my decision and I'm looking forward to grab my new knife!

Thank you very much!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Julien Viapiana,

My comment has little to do with the Rock Jumper or Yojimbo 2, although they are fine knives. I have a few Yo 2's myself!

This comment is slightly off topic. Have you seen the movie "A Grande Arte" also known as Exposure? It was filmed in Brasil! There are some bad copies on YouTube that require the patience of Job to watch but the movie is really good, even though it barely covers knife self defense.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101834/

I don't know what your knife laws are where you live, but I've started carrying a folder and the backup is often a small fixed 3 to 4.5 inch blade.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Great cringe worthy flick seeing as how I'm so paranoid of getting stabbed or badly cut. Became a Peter Coyote fan after that.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Great movie... Not always technically accurate, but way better than most movie depictions of knife tactics. The action scenes were choreographed by Chris Kent, a respected practitioner of the Filipino martial arts and Jeet Kune Do and certified instructor under Dan Inosanto.

Stay safe,

Mike
Julien Viapiana

Hey Napervile, thanks for the recommendation! Never heard of it. Just watched some scenes on youtube though... It looks very interesting and I admit that knowing that it's filmed in Brazil makes me even more curious about it. Will take a look for sure! Yea, Rio de Janeiro is not a "playground". Tough... But if you take some good advices in advance, you can have a great time during vacations ;)

About the law here. Complicated. I could say that there is "no law". I mean, while carrying a blade, you are either right or wrong. It depends on the police officer's interpratation of the situation. If I was busted with a knife cancealed, like a Delica, for instance, the officer can atest: "So this is your EDC blade. No prob"... Or, he could think: "This guy is planning to stab somebody, I'll bring him to the station". I'll not be under arrest, but he can retain my knife, give me a hard time with the Police and "register" me. Only Rio de Janeiro has some especific "rule" regarding the length. Longer blade than 10cm would be instantly ilegal, however a shorter one would insert you in the same situation regarding "interpretation" that I described above. Btw I live in São Paulo.

So, it doesn't matter if I carry a Yojimbo, Karambit or even a Swiss Army Knife, there is no rule. It's about the interpretation.

So, everytime I go out carrying my knife, I am automaticly taking a risk. However, I do it anyway 'cause I am not 100% wrong, and I am a knife lover, either for protection (what we expect to never be needed) or tasks.