Manix 2 Lightweight Translucent Series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Manix 2 Lightweight Translucent Series

Post by cycleguy »

I would like to see a Manix 2 lightweight translucent series; something other than the BD1!

One that comes to mind, a translucent neon green lc200n. Another, would need to be an exclusive, translucent purple and black cruwear; translucent red and 4V, translucent forest green and 204P.... oh, well that wasn't only one. ;)

Translucent burnt orange and rex45...

Dreaming is fun; do I have to come down?????? :spyder:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
vivi

Re: Manix 2 Lightweight Translucent Series

Post by vivi »

Translucent green, LC200N, full screw construction, XL and regular sized runs.

Bet it'd be a home run.
:unicorn
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Translucent "Smoke" series with 10v :cool:
•• Beau
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Bet it'd be a home run.
ditto
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I do think the translucent scales are really cool. I could be interested in a sprint model, but it'd have to be something pretty special, and probably something I don't already have on a g10 manix.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:18 pm
I would like to see a Manix 2 lightweight translucent series; something other than the BD1!

One that comes to mind, a translucent neon green lc200n. Another, would need to be an exclusive, translucent purple and black cruwear; translucent red and 4V, translucent forest green and 204P.... oh, well that wasn't only one. ;)

CG

(Just as a sidenote and I am sure you know this anyway: The Manix 2 LW meanwhile comes in BD1N, which for me performs noticeable better than I recall BD1 does).

Great idea! I seem to recall that one of the properties of FRCP, which distinguishes it from FRN, is that FRCP CAN be made trainslucent (and FRN not), so why not make use of this more often?

If they ever manage to make a real Salt Manix 2 LW (there were discussions if the CBBL spring can be made fully rustproof), translucent green would be very cool! Furthermore, I´d hope that with LC200N we´d finally see a fully serrated Manix 2 LW... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:40 pm
vivi wrote:

Bet it'd be a home run.
ditto
would also like to see this
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:13 am
cycleguy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:18 pm

CG

(Just as a sidenote and I am sure you know this anyway: The Manix 2 LW meanwhile comes in BD1N, which for me performs noticeable better than I recall BD1 does).

Great idea! I seem to recall that one of the properties of FRCP, which distinguishes it from FRN, is that FRCP CAN be made trainslucent (and FRN not), so why not make use of this more often?

If they ever manage to make a real Salt Manix 2 LW (there were discussions if the CBBL spring can be made fully rustproof), translucent green would be very cool! Furthermore, I´d hope that with LC200N we´d finally see a fully serrated Manix 2 LW... :rolleyes:
the tusk has a bbl with a spring for the marline spike and is considered a salt, so it must be possible.

that said, i really don't find the translucent scales attractive, personally. it makes it look like a cheap toy to me. even so, i'm not completely turned off to the idea with the right color and steel combination. all of that is irrelevant, though, until the m2lw has screws. i love my xhp version, but won't buy another unless it has screws or is a salt.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I’ve been wanting to see this for years. Hopefully.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

vivi wrote:

Bet it'd be a home run.
I swear this has been discussed here several times and with good reason. It would be amazing. Do it in PE and SE (XL preferred). Screws please! No more pinned construction. I could carry/use this for the majority of applications except maybe office/gents knife purposes.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

this is the only way i would own a lw manix is screw together construction, it is the only reason i have not tried one. no more of this inaccessible pinned stuff.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
juggler

Post by juggler »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:27 am
I swear this has been discussed here several times

It has :)
Attachments
manix_clr.jpg
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We’ve been asking for this for a few years, now. Bright translucent orange and the new LC200N green in translucent woukd be great with SPY27 and LC200N respectively.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Post by kobold »

Translucent AND glow in the dark! :cool:
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Reminds me of a bowl of Jolly Rancher hard candy! Apple green is what comes to mind, but it does work for many of the other colors.

I wonder where Sal & Eric got their inspiration??? Once upon a time, JR and Spyderco were neighbors .... hmmm?

CG
juggler wrote: It has :)
Attachments
manix_clr.jpg
manix_clr.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
So many knives - so little funds!!!
olywa

Post by olywa »

The real question is how do we re-inspire them? I'm guilty of asking for more translucent FRCP many times over the years, but these suggestions/requests just never seem to get any traction. Thanks for the pic above, I especially like the orange one.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

olywa wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:21 pm
The real question is how do we re-inspire them? I'm guilty of asking for more translucent FRCP many times over the years, but these suggestions/requests just never seem to get any traction. Thanks for the pic above, I especially like the orange one.
The manix lightweight is getting a bit more love lately: rex45 sprint, new spy27 production model, a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive. And they've done well so far. So I think it'd be a good time to bug dealers about new translucent exclusives. For example: that translucent purple in the picture about with dlc cruwear from DLT would be killer!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Agreed, and though I too would like to see pinned construction on the Manila 2 LW, I'm also cool with it staying pinned. I have used my two hard over the years and they are as tight as the day I bought them.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 am
this is the only way i would own a lw manix is screw together construction, it is the only reason i have not tried one. no more of this inaccessible pinned stuff.
olywa wrote: Agreed, and though I too would like to see pinned construction on the Manila 2 LW, I'm also cool with it staying pinned. I have used my two hard over the years and they are as tight as the day I bought them.

I´d certainly prefer screw together construction too, but on the other hand I have to say: No problems whatsoever with the no three Manix 2 LW I had / have, I never even thought of having to take them apart, they work perfectly and, as olywa says, are also "as tight as the day I bought them"...

Sure, one can´t maintain the knife as well (especially tool steel blades in the pivot area) and blade swaps are almost impossible (custom scales are not an option anyway with the linerelessFRCP handles) - but other than that:
- Are there actually any reports of real problems with the pinned construction?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
carrot

Post by carrot »

I have used my one M2LW quite hard, carried it everywhere, gotten it quite wet. Pinned is just fine for me. I actually quite prefer it in the field- there's no chance of screws falling out by surprise.