Spyderco's Designated "Beaters"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Spyderco's Designated "Beaters"

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:34 pm
The Caribbean is the answer. :D
The Caribbean and Autonomy both are on my priority list for new SE units to add to my User arsenal. I'm hoping I can snag a couple of used units to save a little dough.

And I also agree with VASH about the Spyderhawk being an ideal folder for hard use jobs. I've sure used two of my full SE Spyderhawks on some really mean jobs over the years. It's incredible how the SE Spyderhawk just goes through vines, reeds, cattails, hemp, arrowhead plants and just about anything that grows in wetlands, rivers lakes and ponds.

Again there are just some Spyderco models that are destined for brutal work. Most serrated Spyderco knives invite it and love hard work.
I'm looking forward to the SE Autonomy. Had the PE, but the Caribbean was better for carrying all the time.

The SE gives me am excuse to have both :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:57 pm
For those who like a little bit of knife on their dirt. :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

My original PM2 in S30V was my "anything goes knife" and it is still in top shape. But I put some CF scales on it recently and it will no longer be "beater class" around here. Now it is my Rex45 Manix LW. No limits on what I do with it, other than doing totally stupid things. I expect it will hold up nicely, but I am carrying it regularly and have no intention of babying it.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Monty wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:49 pm
If I have the opportunity to reach for a "footlocker" or toolbag, toolchest, car bag, etc... I am most likely grabbing a fixed blade for a tough task. Otherwise whatever I'm carrying in my pocket it getting used. My car bag includes my old combat tomahawk and a Mora, between the two just about anything is doable.
I was going to write almost exactly this. If I have the opportunity to switch knives, I’m going to go with a knife with no moving parts.

So, if I’m limiting myself to Spyderco, the answer would be the PMA11 Mule. But if the task is certain destruction, I’m going to use the worst knife I have that can still accomplish the task, and that’s not likely to be one of the Spydercos. It’s not like I’m insulting the knife gods with a lesser sacrifice.

Is it? ‘Cause that would be bad.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm
Cambertree wrote:
LOL! :D

Yeah, that was after a day of making soil mixtures and repotting my chilli pepper plants!

My Tasman Salt’s the only other knife I’d treat that way. ;)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My China Mules and my Manix LW S110V are my Spyderco beaters. The Mules I made handles for and the Manix was modded by a pal and gifted to me. Any knife I’m using might see hard use, but I am careful with my tools so “beating” seldom occurs.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

H1 Hawkbill Dfly, Tasman salt SE, Hap40 Wharncliffe Delica, Vg-10 Waved Dfly, AEB-L Urban. To a lesser extent my LC200N Native, K390 Police 4, Rex45 Para3 and S30V Shaman.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Shaman/Caribbean mostly, with Spyderhawk, tanto PM2, and maxamet manix coming into play for specific jobs.

Then of course there's the stuff that has a very high chance of not just edge damage, but blade damage. Used a Resilience to cut free the bound up weeds/dirt/roots off a rototiller a few times. Plenty of rocks, plenty of steel, lots of blind cutting.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:12 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Cambertree wrote:
LOL! :D

Yeah, that was after a day of making soil mixtures and repotting my chilli pepper plants!

My Tasman Salt’s the only other knife I’d treat that way. ;)
That's how I treat my Caribbean. It's the designated "whatever" knife. It functioned as a door knob the other day. I walked into a room to measure a window and the door closed behind me. I went to leave and there was no knob, lol.

Flick, jab, twist and I'm on to the next one! :D
(Zero damage)

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not that a $200 knife should really be a "beater" But the Shaman is more than capable of doing such tasks.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Cambertree wrote:
I also like to mix in a little shovel and spade with my knifey dirt.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've always been a firm believer in "the right tool for the job," which usually keeps me from doing those "stupid" (abusive) kind of things to my knives.. if there's a better tool for the task at hand, that's what I'll use. That said, I'm always more comfortable pushing my less expensive knives.. just in case.. though truth be told, when using a knife as a knife (not a pry-bar, screwdriver, etc, etc.), I can't think of a cutting task I've put any of them up against that they haven't handled with ease.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:46 am
I've always been a firm believer in "the right tool for the job," which usually keeps me from doing those "stupid" (abusive) kind of things to my knives.. if there's a better tool for the task at hand, that's what I'll use. That said, I'm always more comfortable pushing my less expensive knives.. just in case.. though truth be told, when using a knife as a knife (not a pry-bar, screwdriver, etc, etc.), I can't think of a cutting task I've put any of them up against that they haven't handled with ease.
I truly see exactly what you're saying. But do consider that the Spyderedged blades have truly proven to be very useful and effective at doing some really hard chores>> particularly gardening and landscaping work. And there just isn't hardly any way you can do those types of jobs without getting your tools dirty.

The one Spyderhawk that I use a lot doing those type of jobs looked like it came out of a World War even with just two months of work. It seems to take a lot less time on the job for a Spyderedged knife to become a "beater" than it does for a plain edged unit to start really showing horrible wear and tear.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:12 am
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:46 am
I truly see exactly what you're saying. But do consider that the Spyderedged blades have truly proven to be very useful and effective at doing some really hard chores>> particularly gardening and landscaping work. And there just isn't hardly any way you can do those types of jobs without getting your tools dirty.

The one Spyderhawk that I use a lot doing those type of jobs looked like it came out of a World War even with just two months of work. It seems to take a lot less time on the job for a Spyderedged knife to become a "beater" than it does for a plain edged unit to start really showing horrible wear and tear.
I agree JD, I think SE blades are especially capable of tough work and would consider the Spyderhawk to be "the right tool for the job" for a lot of gardening/landscaping tasks. Definitely a great tool for cutting away vines, small roots/limbs, etc. I don't have a Spyderhawk, but have used my SE Salt 2 for such tasks and it has performed very well.

I think taking a knife's design into consideration is important in determining it's effectiveness as a "beater." Some designs will perform better for certain tasks than others and that's how I tend to use my knives.. in a really purpose-driven way. X knife for Y task, etc. Hahah sometimes though I think that I tend to almost baby my knives.. I forget that they are all tools first. It's always nice to let loose and see how capable they really are!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
James Y

Post by James Y »

IMO, the Salt series in H1 are great “beaters” or “dirty job” knives. Also, H1 scratches up especially easily, so it really isn’t a blade steel that keeps its ‘beauty’, appearance-wise, for very long. It’s all function. Though so are Spyderco’s other steels as well. But my designated dirty knives are H1 Salts.

Jim
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Straight Spine Stretch, Cruwear Native 5, and my Police 4 are the knives I reach for when I know ill be getting into some heavy use. If it's something I think might severly damage the blade or edge I'll use the cheapest p.o.c I can find.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:57 am
That's how I treat my Caribbean. It's the designated "whatever" knife. It functioned as a door knob the other day. I walked into a room to measure a window and the door closed behind me. I went to leave and there was no knob, lol.

Flick, jab, twist and I'm on to the next one! :D
(Zero damage)
JuPaul wrote: I also like to mix in a little shovel and spade with my knifey dirt.
Nice one, SDG and Julia! :)

Yeah it’s pretty cool to have a high quality knife you can use without any real concern for wear and tear.

The SE Salts are pretty awesome knives in that way. I won’t hesitate to dig around in the soil to cut out roots, or prise shellfish off rocks, or dozens of other tasks with my Pac Salt and Tasman, that I’d never consider using another good knife for.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:57 am
IMO, the Salt series in H1 are great “beaters” or “dirty job” knives. Also, H1 scratches up especially easily, so it really isn’t a blade steel that keeps its ‘beauty’, appearance-wise, for very long. It’s all function. Though so are Spyderco’s other steels as well. But my designated dirty knives are H1 Salts.
There is no argument that virtually every model in the Salt Series should be viewed as a "hard use" knife. And most "Hard Use" knives at some point do indeed become "beaters". But do understand that you have to go through a tumultuous "Rite Of Passage" to earn the privilege of being labeled a "beater". Just because a certain knife is capable of harsh use and harsh environments doesn't necessarily make it automatic by any means.

There is something to be said about any knife being dependable during harsh treatment. Knowing where your limits are with certain type of materials is essential.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:37 am
James Y wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:57 am
There is no argument that virtually every model in the Salt Series should be viewed as a "hard use" knife. And most "Hard Use" knives at some point do indeed become "beaters". But do understand that you have to go through a tumultuous "Rite Of Passage" to earn the privilege of being labeled a "beater". Just because a certain knife is capable of harsh use and harsh environments doesn't necessarily make it automatic by any means.

There is something to be said about any knife being dependable during harsh treatment. Knowing where your limits are with certain type of materials is essential.

Yeah, I agree. For me, the Salts that I consider beaters are my SE Pacific, SE Tasman, and my first SE Salt 1. Interestingly on my Salt 1, it looks as if the serrations were slightly flawed during the grinding process, as the very tips are very slightly ‘doubled’. This actually made the teeth a bit stronger and less snaggy than some SE.

I chipped the very tip off of my first Tasman. Even though H1 is tough, a thin, narrow tip is still fragile and could accidentally break off fairly easily. It didn’t affect the function of the knife, though, and was easy enough to fix into a slightly more rounded tip using my SM.

Jim