New member and Native Chief scales question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TenGrainBread

New member and Native Chief scales question

Post by TenGrainBread »

Hi all - new member here. I've owned a few Spydercos for a while now but finally joining the board.
My current rotation is: M4 Manix XL, Rex45 Shaman, S110V PM2, Native 5 Salt, M390 Para3, FRN Chaparral
My background is in welding/fabrication and quality engineering.

As you can see, I like lockback and compression lock knives. And while I have a few smaller knives, I tend to like carrying larger folders. I like the more unique steel alloys. And I prefer the grip and feel of G10 and FRN scales. Not really into CF, titanium, or wood scales.

Given the above, I think my next purchase will be either a Police 4 or Native Chief (I'll probably end up with both eventually, out of curiosity). I'm interested in the S90V sprint coming for the Native Chief but would prefer G10 scales. Does anybody know of a source for custom scales for the Native Chief?

If not I might just wait for a later Native Chief sprint or exclusive or grab the new K390 P4 when it's available.
sal

Re: New member and Native Chief scales question

Post by sal »

Hi TenGrainBread,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:40 am
Hi all - new member here. I've owned a few Spydercos for a while now but finally joining the board.
My current rotation is: M4 Manix XL, Rex45 Shaman, S110V PM2, Native 5 Salt, M390 Para3, FRN Chaparral
My background is in welding/fabrication and quality engineering.

As you can see, I like lockback and compression lock knives. And while I have a few smaller knives, I tend to like carrying larger folders. I like the more unique steel alloys. And I prefer the grip and feel of G10 and FRN scales. Not really into CF, titanium, or wood scales.

Given the above, I think my next purchase will be either a Police 4 or Native Chief (I'll probably end up with both eventually, out of curiosity). I'm interested in the S90V sprint coming for the Native Chief but would prefer G10 scales. Does anybody know of a source for custom scales for the Native Chief?

If not I might just wait for a later Native Chief sprint or exclusive or grab the new K390 P4 when it's available.

Historically, the CF from Golden have been peel ply. So identical texture as the G10, but on a solid slab of CF.
Peter
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

anycal wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 pm
Historically, the CF from Golden have been peel ply. So identical texture as the G10, but on a solid slab of CF.
Thanks anycal. That's good to know and might change my decision...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi TGB, welcome to the forum. I'm a huge custom scale fan but have not seen anyone offer up custom scales for the Chief. Not to say some of the talented scale makers couldn’t handle the job, but you’d have to send them to the maker to have them properly spec the dimensions using the stock scales and that would run you at minimum $100 (if not more). The best bang for your buck would definitely be the upcoming burnt orange G10 scales on the Rex45 model (which you could RIT dye a darker shade like dark brown or black) or the sweet CF scales on the upcoming S90V sprint. Hope that helps. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King