Knife categories

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ykspydiefan

Knife categories

Post by ykspydiefan »

"nycone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:15 am

Hello,

A bit of background here. I like to build things. When my oldest son wanted his first camping knife, I discovered Spyderco Mules."

This post triggered me a bit. I have sons, I have knives, and I intend to hand them down in time. For the record, daughters need knives too, I just do not have any daughters.

I have read many lists of knife categories like, beater, safe queen, EDC, large/med/small, bush craft, folder, fixed... In these lists I rarely see Heirloom included. Is Heirloom so obvious that people just do not include it? I have not thought to include it in my knife lists but I do include it when I am buying a second of the same model. I tell my wife, "I do not need two, the boys need one each so there will not be any arguments about who inherits what in time."

One son has acquired a mermaid/merboy/merperson fascination. He put an unreasonable amount of time into a cold lake learning to swim well enough that Mom would buy him a merboy tail/costume. I bought him a Boker Rainbow Mermaid.

Anyway, do you buy knives with Heirloom in mind? Do you buy specific knives for specific kid? Do you buy for you and justify for them? Kids are just like a knife hobby, they grow in time and become their own.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)