Fruitless search, it was right there the whole time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bobnikon

Fruitless search, it was right there the whole time

Post by bobnikon »

PM2.JPG
I will admit, I obsess about things. Most of my hobbies and interests have resulted in an over-abundance of spending and collecting. The same is true of knives. I got my first spyderco about 10 years ago, an Endura. I really liked it, but at the time I didn't love it. Then about 8 years ago I picked up a PM2, after seeing one when I bought the endura and lusting after it. At that time, it was a crazy amount for me to spend on a knife. At that point, I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. Then I got obsessed with archery and sold a bunch of stuff to buy more bows, including both my Spyderco knives. I had a number of other low/mid end knives but nothing that stood out. I then picked up a second-hand PM2, in a trade for some archery equipment I wasn't using. I have bought and sold a lot of knives from a number of manufacturers since then. I have also ammased a significant number of premium folders, mostly from two different manufacturers. My Spydies are in the top drawer, my other maker in the second drawer and then a bunch of misfits in the third drawer.

Most of these knives have been bought looking for "the one". As it turns out, I already had it. And now it has two twins with slight metalurgical differences. Yet my EVERY DAY carry remains my old camo S30V PM2. The scales have been dyed midnight blue, with just a hint of camo showing through. The aftermarket clip rides a little lower in the pocket. But aside from those two mods, this knife is just right. All the things I was looking for, I have found in that knife. Granted I swap for a N5 Salt when jogging, but aside from those times, it is this old beaten up PM2. It is slick, sharp, and just fits. Will I stop buying knives... not likely. But now it is just out of interest and appreciation for design, material, form and function, and not looking for something I probably will never find... a replacement for perfection.

Cheers
Erik
sal

Re: Fruitless search, it was right there the whole time

Post by sal »

Hi Erik,

Thanx for sharing your story. It sounds like you have the OC gene, as many here do. As we walk through our lives, we learn, change and grow. It's a valuable asset you have to recognize and accept this.

sal
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Thanks Sal,

Yes the OC is strong in this one.

Cheers
Erik
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Funny how that works, isn't it? I've gone through the same exploratory phases, and am still going through them.

As Sal mentioned, it does sound like you have "the OC gene", and you certainly aren't alone in that regard. I’ve got it pretty bad. My wife just shakes her head at this point. As an example, I have our book and movies organized by size(books), genre, and in alphabetical order (within each category).

Organizing things and assigning categories or roles, is important to me, but tends to over-complicate things. If a knife is assigned to a certain role, and doesn't perform as I would like, it goes to another home. The problem is that sometimes a knife seems like it should fill a specific role, but doesn't, and never gets a chance to prove itself with other tasks. I’ve been actively trying to push myself to try new grip techniques, different cutting tasks, etc.

I’ve found my favorite models, but steel options added so much more complexity, and further tested my obsessive personality. Though, if not for a ridiculous obsession with cutting tools, my energy might be wasted on political nonsense. Knowing this, my wife is happy that I'm into knives. :p

I do envy your knife obsession status: satisfied with what you have, and willing to aquire more, but for enjoyment, instead of an obsessive search for "the one". The grass is always greener...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny how different we all are. PM2 was one of my firsts, I have a couple of them. I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread...until I dabbled into a bunch of other models. Now the PM2 is towards the bottom of my preferences and won't be seeking anymore unless they come in some kind of awesome scale material.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

Good story, Erik.

For me, I don’t know if the ‘perfect’ knife even exists. There are a few that seem to come close; G10 Manix 2, Endela, and some others. Perhaps even the new LC200N SE Pacific Salt might be “the one”. But so far, there has always been something, often even undefinable, that has kept these great knives from being my ‘perfect‘ knife.

I got my first PM2 in 2011. It was also my first compression lock. I thought it was a good knife, but for whatever reasons it didn’t ‘wow’ me like all the online hype that was surrounding it. After an initial try-out period, it sat on a desk for a few years, untouched. Then one day I decided if I have it, why not use it. I made it my regular EDC for awhile and found I liked it a lot more than before.

A couple (few?) years ago, I also got a DLC-coated, S35VN PM2, which I also like. While I cannot say they are my ‘perfect’ knife, I like them and occasionally rotate one or the other into my uses. I have no plans to pick up any more PM2’s, but I’m happy with the ones I have.

Jim
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am
Organizing things and assigning categories or roles, is important to me, but tends to over-complicate things.

The grass is always greener...
This was my approach for a long time. I needed this model to do something, and this steel would be better for something else, and ...

But at the end of the day, I like sharpening and I like this knife. So if I dull it, I will sharpen it. If I chip it, I will re-profile it. I don't use knives as hammers or chisels or axes, I have all of those things. But I also don't hesitate to use my knife anymore when I want or need. And instead of buying dozens of knives looking for the right knife for the job, I use the knife I already have and know. If I destroy it (not so far), all of that money could just be spent replacing the one that I know works.

Like the saying goes "Beware the man with one gun. He can probably use it." I know without a doubt the heft and feel of the knife and how it is going to perform in most situations. While I will obviously never only have one knife, I mostly carry one... so close enough.

Now I don't need to find excuses to carry something else or anguish about what I should carry. It is my old blue/camo s30v PM2.

For me the grass was really greener. This was my thing, because I didn't actually know what I was looking for. Then I decided to look at what I had. Turns out the grass is pretty green where I am standing.

Cheers
Erik
Last edited by bobnikon on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:04 am
Good story, Erik.

For me, I don’t know if the ‘perfect’ knife even exists. There are a few that seem to come close; G10 Manix 2, Endela, and some others. Perhaps even the new LC200N SE Pacific Salt might be “the one”. But so far, there has always been something, often even undefinable, that has kept these great knives from being my ‘perfect‘ knife.
Jim,

I just recently got the G10 Manix 2. It is an awesome knife. It is a tank. It is impressive. But it isn't my PM2.

I have tried a bunch of others based off reviews, recommendations, and frankly good deals.

I have been jonesing for a flipper, so I got an Amalgam on a reasonable deal. I flipped it giddily for a half hour and then picked up my PM2 and spydie flicked it. Couldn't remember why I so badly needed the flipper.

Cheers
Erik
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:44 am
PM2.JPG

I will admit, I obsess about things. Most of my hobbies and interests have resulted in an over-abundance of spending and collecting. The same is true of knives. I got my first spyderco about 10 years ago, an Endura. I really liked it, but at the time I didn't love it. Then about 8 years ago I picked up a PM2, after seeing one when I bought the endura and lusting after it. At that time, it was a crazy amount for me to spend on a knife. At that point, I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. Then I got obsessed with archery and sold a bunch of stuff to buy more bows, including both my Spyderco knives. I had a number of other low/mid end knives but nothing that stood out. I then picked up a second-hand PM2, in a trade for some archery equipment I wasn't using. I have bought and sold a lot of knives from a number of manufacturers since then. I have also ammased a significant number of premium folders, mostly from two different manufacturers. My Spydies are in the top drawer, my other maker in the second drawer and then a bunch of misfits in the third drawer.

Most of these knives have been bought looking for "the one". As it turns out, I already had it. And now it has two twins with slight metalurgical differences. Yet my EVERY DAY carry remains my old camo S30V PM2. The scales have been dyed midnight blue, with just a hint of camo showing through. The aftermarket clip rides a little lower in the pocket. But aside from those two mods, this knife is just right. All the things I was looking for, I have found in that knife. Granted I swap for a N5 Salt when jogging, but aside from those times, it is this old beaten up PM2. It is slick, sharp, and just fits. Will I stop buying knives... not likely. But now it is just out of interest and appreciation for design, material, form and function, and not looking for something I probably will never find... a replacement for perfection.

Cheers
Erik
Very cool, thanks for sharing. I am also extremely obsessive, even passionate or OCD about my knives and all that entails. Its nice to know there are others out there with the same affliction🍻
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:17 am
Albatross wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am
Organizing things and assigning categories or roles, is important to me, but tends to over-complicate things.

The grass is always greener...
This was my approach for a long time. I needed this model to do something, and this steel would be better for something else, and ...

But at the end of the day, I like sharpening and I like this knife. So if I dull it, I will sharpen it. If I chip it, I will re-profile it. I don't use knives as hammers or chisels or axes, I have all of those things. But I also don't hesitate to use my knife anymore when I want or need. And instead of buying dozens of knife looking for the right knife for the job, I use the knife I already have and know. If I destroy it (not so far), all of that money could just be spent replacing the one that I know works.

Like the saying goes "Beware the man with one gun. He can probably use it." I know without a doubt the heft and feel of the knife and how it is going to perform in most situations. While I will obviously never only have one knife, I mostly carry one... so close enough.

Now I don't need to find excuses to carry something else or anguish about what I should carry. It is my old blue/camo s30v PM2.

For me the grass was really greener. This was my thing, because I didn't actually know what I was looking for. Then I decided to look at what I had. Turns out the grass is pretty green where I am standing.

Cheers
Erik
I think this is one of those things that gets better with age, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

While it wasn't really your point, the idea of owning just one knife is very appealing. I was a minimalist, until I got married.

I currently own 10 Spyderco folders, but only 3 of them are in the rotation of daily carry knives. Of those three, two are carried significantly more than the third. Two daily carry knives to rotate between seems like plenty to me, but if I could work my way down to owning only 2 knives in total (a daily carry and a smaller travel knife) I think my appreciation for those knives would have more room to grow. I've been trying to push myself in this direction, but I put up a fight and don't make it easy. :D

Thank you for your reply and perspectives. Maybe by reading about your philosophy on the "one" knife, the idea will seep into my subconscious and influence my own behavior. Realistically, none of us need more than one knife anyway, but then again... :p
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 am

While it wasn't really your point, the idea of owning just one knife is very appealing. I was a minimalist, until I got married.
Whoa!!!

Don't go getting me kicked off the forum for preaching minimalism and some one knife malarky. :D

But seriously, I almost feel like I am there. I don't know that I would get rid of all my others (like you say a reserve travel knife is smart), but I am seriously contemplating a major reduction.

My issue is my sickness is cyclical. Or perhaps my resolve is...???

I know at some point I will buy a bunch more, but with all the knives I have had the joy of using in the last 40+ years, the PM2 is the most complete and satisfying for me. Anything it may lack, is made up for in familiarity and comfort.

Wow, reading back through all this, it looks like I married the darn thing.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think I'm the same way with the Shaman, at this point. I'd love it in additional configurations, but the pattern itself feels more at home in pocket and in hand than anything else I've tried.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Albatross wrote:

I think this is one of those things that gets better with age, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I currently own 10 Spyderco folders, but only 3 of them are in the rotation of daily carry knives.
With only 10 Spydercos, I'm still calling you a minimalist!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:23 am
James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:04 am
Good story, Erik.

Jim,

I just recently got the G10 Manix 2. It is an awesome knife. It is a tank. It is impressive. But it isn't my PM2.

I have tried a bunch of others based off reviews, recommendations, and frankly good deals.

I have been jonesing for a flipper, so I got an Amalgam on a reasonable deal. I flipped it giddily for a half hour and then picked up my PM2 and spydie flicked it. Couldn't remember why I so badly needed the flipper.

Cheers
Erik

Erik,

The funny thing is, if ANY one of the Spydercos I own were my only knife, period, I would be happy with it, regardless. I would no longer obsess over whether it’s perfect, or over any small thing that makes it imperfect for me. It would just be ‘my knife’. Like back in the mid-‘80s to late-‘90s, the one and only knife I carried was a Victorinox Spartan SAK. During that period, it was simply “the knife I have.” My ‘knife life’ wasn’t nearly as rich, but it sure did simplify things. :)

Jim
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:30 am
Albatross wrote:

I currently own 10 Spyderco folders, but only 3 of them are in the rotation of daily carry knives.
With only 10 Spydercos, I'm still calling you a minimalist!
I guess you're right, compared to some here, I'm definitely a minimalist!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

There are knives that I like for design & aesthetics, and there are knives that I like for what one might call sentimental reasons, and there are knives that I like because they "just work". For me, the PM2 falls in that last category.

Maybe it's because I don't feel any sort of special attachment to it, but I use the PM2 hard, perhaps harder than any other knife in my work rotation. I've used it to peel the wrap off of long bundles of aluminum baling wire—this is a task that done repeatedly would render the edge almost unusably dull or ragged in many other knives—and it's only come away with a chip or two easily repaired with a coarse diamond plate (this is also a testament to the Golden factory's "Goldilocks zone" heat treat of S30V). I've dropped it on asphalt and concrete, and the supposedly fragile-looking tip has remained intact (although the handle scales have gotten a couple of dings here & there).

And through all this hard use, the action remains great and the lock-up is still solid with just regular lubrication & compressed air blow-throughs.

I have Spydercos that I "enjoy" more, but I don't see the PM2 ever leaving my work knife rotation.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:05 am
Albatross wrote:

Whoa!!!

Don't go getting me kicked off the forum for preaching minimalism and some one knife malarky. :D

But seriously, I almost feel like I am there. I don't know that I would get rid of all my others (like you say a reserve travel knife is smart), but I am seriously contemplating a major reduction.

My issue is my sickness is cyclical. Or perhaps my resolve is...???

I know at some point I will buy a bunch more, but with all the knives I have had the joy of using in the last 40+ years, the PM2 is the most complete and satisfying for me. Anything it may lack, is made up for in familiarity and comfort.

Wow, reading back through all this, it looks like I married the darn thing.
We can all pretend minimalism was never discussed here. :D

I plan to stick with what I know and love, while trimming the fat. I'm using the term, "plan" rather loosely, to give me a possible out (which will probably be needed) for later on.

Ha! Yes, you do convey a certain amount of love for the PM2. You've come to the right place though!

I think any good tool eventually becomes an extension of ourselves, and if lost or broken, it feels like losing much more than a mere tool. Knowing you can rely on the tool and enjoy using it, helps create a bond for sure.

Good luck to you. Hopefully you have more success than I've had, when it comes to thinning the herd.