A Spyder With A "Sintered" Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

A Spyder With A "Sintered" Blade?

Post by JD Spydo »

This might just be an exclusive "Larrin" question. But regardless I've still considered it to be a remote possibility. Because I've been thinking about some really strange scenarios lately. With all the talk lately about these newly proposed blade materials I've wondered just how practical a blade with "sintered" steel or some other type of "sintered" material would be for a hard use, EDC blade?

Or would "sintered" materials be too hard to be practical? With all the new materials that have come forth in the fields of metallurgy and ceramics I've wondered if there is a super blade material about to come forth as a result?

I sure hope Larrin will help me out with this one :rolleyes: . Because I know he'll shoot straight with us no matter if it's a good idea or just completely out of reason.

Tungsten Carbide is a sintered material just to give you all some insight. Albeit I've never heard of any blade or edged tool made from TC. LARRIN I hope you didn't leave the building yet :D
Michael Janich

Re: A Spyder With A "Sintered" Blade?

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, JD:

Technically, I believe it's already been done. The Spyderco Bi-Fold was comprised of MIM (metal injection molded) parts. Once molded, MIM parts are generally sintered to remove the binding agent.

That knife was before my time as a Spyderco employee, so I don't have all the details, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

Stay safe,

Mike
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Funny you mention this Joe, I just read a little (very little) about this and Larrin does have an article on it. I guess (maybe wrong?) "sintered" and "cemented" tungsten carbide are the same thing? It's really interesting but I'm outa my depth, per usual :)

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/11/18/ ... hat-is-it/

Maybe one of these days we'll get a blade material that never dulls or needs sharpening (and can afford it).

...I'm still waiting on hoverboards to get here :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Technically, aren't PM steels sintered? They start out as a powder and under heat and pressure they're formed into a billet.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Pokey, you’re correct. Powder metals are much finer, with less porosity, essentially it’s the same process.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Pokey wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:53 am
Technically, aren't PM steels sintered? They start out as a powder and under heat and pressure they're formed into a billet.
This exactly. Sintering is consolidating a powder into a solid via heat and pressure, without melting the material. Examples include particle metallurgy, cemented carbides, Masonite panels, graham cracker pie crust, etc.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:36 am
Hey, JD:

Technically, I believe it's already been done. The Spyderco Bi-Fold was comprised of MIM (metal injection molded) parts. Once molded, MIM parts are generally sintered to remove the binding agent.

That knife was before my time as a Spyderco employee, so I don't have all the details, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

Stay safe,

Mike

Wasn't sure myself, and I have one, but the C108 Bi-Fold appears in the S&S Restricted Items section of the 2011 Spyderco Product Guide and the caption makes it sound like only the handle was MIM, although the blade and handle have an identical finish. OTOH, the C109 "S" was advertised as having an MIM blade. So it's true that they have made at least one knife with an MIM blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!