Native 6: expectations thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pantagana23

Native 6: expectations thread

Post by pantagana23 »

Since search turns 0 results when searching for "Native", and I see no threads on the first 10 pages, decided to create a new thread.

If anyone knows of a smiliar thread, please link.

After carrying the LC200N Native for quite a while now, and for the past week a Delica, I notice that Native just fills my hand better, as its handle shape is more neutral (Delica squeezes my index and middle finger).

However, the thickness of Natives handle can only be compared with a brick, making it stick out of the pocket, plus the square edges might make a Native trademark, but have no functional use.

The goal of this thread would be your ideas and wishes for the next iteration of the Native.

The first 2 changes that I would personally like:

- Slim line: even if the handle shape would remain the same, the thickness of the handle could be 30% thinner. I mean, look at CS American Lawman.

- Round edges: please just round them. I doesn't have to be 3D handle shape, just a bit less square

Bonus change :D : make the front of the handle Rock Jumper alike, adding the lost length from the front to the back of the handle, and make the spear bladed edge come right to the handle itself.
Wartstein

Re: Native 6: expectations thread

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am

Bonus change :D : make the front of the handle Rock Jumper alike, adding the lost length from the front to the back of the handle, and make the spear bladed edge come right to the handle itself.

This.

- The Native is a knife that I had to use with the finger in the choil (L to XL hands), the grip area behind the choil is too short for me and held there the knife does not feel good in my hand.

- Now: Choked up on the choil, the Native feels great in hand when just held or in light cutting.
But used a bit "harder" (whittling, slicing thicker cardboard) it gets unstable and tends to shift and roll in my hand (this is not the case with the even smaller Chaparral for example).

The cutting edge of the Native is a bit short anyway.

So: Making BOTH the grip area on the actual handle longer AND giving it a longer cutting edge (by getting rid of the (blade- and handle part of the) choil would be a welcomed change for me personally.

Though I have to admit: It would not be really a Native anymore in that shape... :o

/ Another thing I´d like to see: Thinner blade stock, 2.5mm like the Delica or even better 2.00 like the Chaparral.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would only support the rounding or contouring of the handles to be more Shaman like. The Native was always meant to be a knife with a usable choil, so if choils are not your thing, then the Native is not your knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

Compression Lock or Button Compression Lock please.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:54 am

Though I have to admit: It would not be really a Native anymore in that shape... :o

Oddly, the Native's cutting edge is exactly how long Sal designed it to be.

To the other point, people want all these changes, and if made would always result in in brand new design. If everyone wants something NEW in the Native family, I'm sure Sal can make that happen. Just look at the Lil Native and the Native Chief.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:54 am

Oddly, the Native's cutting edge is exactly how long Sal designed it to be.

To the other point, people want all these changes, and if made would always result in in brand new design. If everyone wants something NEW in the Native family, I'm sure Sal can make that happen. Just look at the Lil Native and the Native Chief.

You are right of course and I actually said myself that a Native with longer edge and no choil would not be a Native anymore... ;)

I just wanted to reply on the thought experiment of the OP, and for me personally the Native in the current shape does not work too well:
I stated in other threads, concerning the Manix 2 LW, that for me generally a relatively short cutting edge due to a choil, but on the flipside the bonus of at least two great grip options (behind the choil and finger in the choil) can make for a great work knife.

But, just for me, differently to the Manix the Native does not offer this: It is awkward and too short to grip behind the choil; The choked up grip (in the choil) feels unstable; Plus, this design that offers not much bonus for me additionally results in a short cutting edge.

But I am more than happy with Chap and Delica, and also happy that there is the Native in the current shape for all who find it perfect as it is! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 am
I would only support the rounding or contouring of the handles to be more Shaman like. The Native was always meant to be a knife with a usable choil, so if choils are not your thing, then the Native is not your knife.
Replied already in the post above, but this is not generally about "if choils are your thing (or not)".
Choils can be a great design feature, but depending on the particular hand-size and hand-"geometry" work for a certain person in one design and not so much in the other.

As said, the Native choil in my use is great for lighter tasks, but as soon as the knife is used "harder" it gets a bit "unstable" in my hand. Did not experience that with other "choil"-designs I tried.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't make the handle any thinner, just rounding off the corners a bit will significantly reduce the footprint in your pocket and greatly improve the feeling in your hand.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Another vote for only rounding the corners
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The shape of the Native 5 handles don't bother me at all. I'm perfectly happy with it as is. I little more radiused might be ok but I honestly don't think it'll make much of a difference. Unless there's other significant changes I'm not sure Spyderco will go through the expense of creating new molds for the LW models and create a version 6 of the Native. Time will tell I guess
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:33 pm
I also agree whith that.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:53 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:33 pm
I also agree whith that.
From what I've seen during dissasembly of my FRN model, even the rounding of edges would require reengineering, because the backlock shaft is not screwed in, but rather plugged into the FRN.
If you would round the edges more than now, this would make the shaft housing in the FRN too fragile, as there would not be enough material around the shaft
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I would love thinner stock. It's a smallish, linerless knife, 2.5mm would be more than adequate for any use i put it to.

More rounded edges could be nice, though the ergos are already great for me.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I rounded out the corners on my FRN Native, inside and out, and it makes a big differentce in how it feels during use. Same with one of my PM2s. It really doesn't take much to notice a significant difference. I have yet to try it on my G10 Native.

So yes, rounder corners.

Other than that, different clip on the FRN would be my preference. Either wire clip, or the standard clip, like on the G10.

Everything else is good in my book. The thicker blade stock fits my use for this knife just fine. For thinner blade, there are other models out there.
Peter
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Since search turns 0 results when searching for "Native", and I see no threads on the first 10 pages, decided to create a new thread.

If anyone knows of a smiliar thread, please link.

After carrying the LC200N Native for quite a while now, and for the past week a Delica, I notice that Native just fills my hand better, as its handle shape is more neutral (Delica squeezes my index and middle finger).

However, the thickness of Natives handle can only be compared with a brick, making it stick out of the pocket, plus the square edges might make a Native trademark, but have no functional use.

The goal of this thread would be your ideas and wishes for the next iteration of the Native.

The first 2 changes that I would personally like:

- Slim line: even if the handle shape would remain the same, the thickness of the handle could be 30% thinner. I mean, look at CS American Lawman.

- Round edges: please just round them. I doesn't have to be 3D handle shape, just a bit less square

Bad ideas all around.

DO NOT thin the Native. DO NOT remove the front finger choil. The combination of strength, concealability, and cutting ability is rare.

If you dont like the way the Native is, use another Spyderco. Use the Rock Jumper.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

The Native (in various versions) has been my longest-serving work knife and honestly, there's not much I would like to see drastically changed in a presumptive "Native 6". Things like a choil-less blade, or a longer blade, or a radically thinner blade stock or handle, or a compression lock, I can find in other Spydercos that already exist, and would take away from the Native design's original character and would just serve to genericize it in the product line-up.

I do think the handle can stand to get a bit more rounded and contoured, similar to the Para 3 Lightweight's handle.

I'd love to see a Wharncliffe or "reverse-S blade" version (although I'm not sure if that would be possible with the existing handle design), but that would be a variant of the existing generation rather than a next-generation change.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

pantagana23 wrote:

I don't think this is in line with the design concept of the Native which always had the large choil. It would be another new knife totally if this design change is considered for the future.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Chiming in with more rounded edges like the Shaman and Delica/Endura. That change alone will make this knife 100% much better. I'm not using my N5 LW anymore because the square edges are uncomfortable for me during long term use.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:34 pm
Bad ideas all around.

DO NOT thin the Native. DO NOT remove the front finger choil. The combination of strength, concealability, and cutting ability is rare.

If you dont like the way the Native is, use another Spyderco. Use the Rock Jumper.
Ok, disregard the finger choil thing.
But you can't tell me that American Lawman isn't a **** of a strong knife, even being 30% thinner than current Native. I'm not saying to thin the blade width, just the scales.

Even without thinning it, just rounding would make its footprint smaller, while still being a small beast.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

A native 6 saltwater in something other than yellow, maybe a shade of green, or a blackout saltwater native 6 would be slick, and a lot more subtile to carry in the pocket and i reckon plenty would sell..
cheers and thanks