Pac salt green frn lc200n shipping to dealers!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Pac salt green frn lc200n shipping to dealers!

Post by prndltech »

I’ve never ordered from knifejoker, but since the others sold out and I’m impatient, I went for both edges, 1 of each.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

Are these considered sprints or regular production? They sure are moving fast!
:unicorn
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:01 pm
I’ve never ordered from knifejoker, but since the others sold out and I’m impatient, I went for both edges, 1 of each.
I've ordered from him a couple times... No complaints.
•• Beau
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:06 pm
The plain edge are for sure, I noticed some of the places that sold out of the PE, still had SE. I believe they’re regular production, but who know when the next batch will be made? Several models have had that happen....
Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:25 pm
prndltech wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:01 pm
I've ordered from him a couple times... No complaints.
Oh I’m not worried about it, the names been around long enough and with the exclusive/sprints, I know it’s legit from others experiences.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

vivi wrote:
They're regular production, for sure.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:56 pm
vivi wrote:
They're regular production, for sure.
Good. Looking to stock up on these.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:20 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:00 am

Man, seeing you posting here, for a moment I hoped the ffg Pac Salt would have hit European stores... :rolleyes:

But no, actually we haven't even seen the Rock Jumper yet, let alone the new Pac Salt... :o
Where do you buy knives from Wartstein?
Coutellerie Tourangelle? Lamnia?

Why not just order from a US site which delivers to Europe.

My favourite option isusually White Mountain Knives (over eBay or directly), I see now that Knifejoy also delivers.
Yes, usually from European online dealers like the ones you mentioned (also knivesandtools and lately I discovered com2you-biwak.de. A smaller, but imho very good store. Perhaps a tad higher prices, but one can reliably PREorder sprints there for example) - since there are no brick and mortar stores that carry Spyderco where I live.

I did order from US (ebay-) dealers either (eastcoastblades for example was very nice to do business with) if I could not find a certain knife in Europe at all (like my HAP 40 sprints).

Generally though I prefer to "buy European" - admittedly on the one hand for "selfish" reasons (should there go anything wrong (never happened with Spyderco though!) it is easier to deal with more local dealers (returning and so on)), and prices are about the same if one calculates tariffs and taxes (about 1/3 higher than one would have to pay in the US)
On the other hand I like to support more "local" economy if possible - but tbh, if we have to wait TOO long till the green Pac Salt SE will hit our European stores I´ll certainly order from the US eventually... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:57 pm

Yes, usually from European online dealers like the ones you mentioned (also knivesandtools and lately I discovered com2you-biwak.de. A smaller, but imho very good store. Perhaps a tad higher prices, but one can reliably PREorder sprints there for example) - since there are no brick and mortar stores that carry Spyderco where I live.

I did order from US (ebay-) dealers either (eastcoastblades for example was very nice to do business with) if I could not find a certain knife in Europe at all (like my HAP 40 sprints).

Generally though I prefer to "buy European" - admittedly on the one hand for "selfish" reasons (should there go anything wrong (never happened with Spyderco though!) it is easier to deal with more local dealers (returning and so on)), and prices are about the same if one calculates tariffs and taxes (about 1/3 higher than one would have to pay in the US)
On the other hand I like to support more "local" economy if possible - but tbh, if we have to wait TOO long till the green Pac Salt SE will hit our European stores I´ll certainly order from the US eventually... ;)
I found catch 22 over Coutellerie; they exclude VAT when shipping to Croatia, and I don't get charged (so far) here :D

US prices at a glance :)

Don't order much from them though, french postal service is one of the worst I've encountered so far
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I was quite set on making this my first full size SE knife, but now I’m starting to doubt it.
It will primarily be an outdoors knife for me, and I think I will enjoy PE more for all the times I prepare food than SE can make up for the few times I need to cut fibrous materials. And now that @vivi has reminded me how course sharpening a PE knife can give some of that SE bite in a PE knife, it feels like PE makes more sense.
Maybe a SE will follow when I get some more hands on with the PE... and maybe even in another size when their introduced.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:55 am
I was quite set on making this my first full size SE knife, but now I’m starting to doubt it.
It will primarily be an outdoors knife for me, and I think I will enjoy PE more for all the times I prepare food than SE can make up for the few times I need to cut fibrous materials. And now that @vivi has reminded me how course sharpening a PE knife can give some of that SE bite in a PE knife, it feels like PE makes more sense.
Maybe a SE will follow when I get some more hands on with the PE... and maybe even in another size when their introduced.

did you follow the quite many SE threads of lately?

It seems that for most who actually tried (me 100% included) "non aggressive" SE in ffg works better than PE in a majority of tasks (for me in practically all, or at least not worse). Food prep is certainly one area where I´d prefer SE over PE by a lot,,,

Plus: Add the ease of sharpening (with a Sharpmaker!) and that SE stays sharp longer than PE...

Maybe you´d still like to get the Pac Salt in SE and find out for yourself? I´d be very interested in your experiences with it! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I am also thinking between PE or SE.
One thing that I am not happy even after many times sharpening my Pacific Salt 1 is the level of sharpness that I am getting. It should be very sharp after white rod, but I think it is a bit lacking. So that's why I am not sure about another SE Spyderco.
No, I don't have Sharpmaker, but I have a fixed setup with 20° angle. Gonna try harder 😂
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 am
aicolainen wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:55 am

did you follow the quite many SE threads of lately?

It seems that for most who actually tried (me 100% included) "non aggressive" SE in ffg works better than PE in a majority of tasks (for me in practically all, or at least not worse). Food prep is certainly one area where I´d prefer SE over PE by a lot,,,

Plus: Add the ease of sharpening (with a Sharpmaker!) and that SE stays sharp longer than PE...

Maybe you´d still like to get the Pac Salt in SE and find out for yourself? I´d be very interested in your experiences with it! :)
I did try to catch up with some of those threads, and that's mainly what opened me up to SE in the first place, but time has been a scarce resource lately so I haven't been able to submerge myself in all the SE praise. Maybe that's why I'm starting to fall back to old habits :)
You know, the whole idea was to get this knife with SE, just so I could gain some experience with it, so you're absolutely right. Thanks for keeping me on track!
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

I have a half dozen or so serrated knives and find them useful only for certain tasks.

Every time I buy one I think it will be different and it's not. Sure you can EDC it but a plain edge works better for most of the things that I do with a knife. I do carry both while I work but only use the serrated for really nasty crap. And now use a utility knife for those type of tasks more often.

Besides,. H1 should have better edge retention. And it's hollow ground so I don't think you're giving up much to FFG
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It could be nice to see someone doing food prep irl before jump in with both feets.
Any videos out there showing food prep with spyderedged knives?

Obviously slicing tasks like slicing bread could be significantly improved with good serrations, but there’s a whole lot of chopping going on as well. I have some difficulties picturing how matter separation can be completely achieved by chopping when there isn’t an uninterrupted line of contact with the surface you’re cutting against.
It could be just me overthinking this, so seeing someone else doing it could help close the gap between reality and my limited imagination.
vivi

Post by vivi »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:42 pm
It could be nice to see someone doing food prep irl before jump in with both feets.
Any videos out there showing food prep with spyderedged knives?

Obviously slicing tasks like slicing bread could be significantly improved with good serrations, but there’s a whole lot of chopping going on as well. I have some difficulties picturing how matter separation can be completely achieved by chopping when there isn’t an uninterrupted line of contact with the surface you’re cutting against.
It could be just me overthinking this, so seeing someone else doing it could help close the gap between reality and my limited imagination.
Its easy to dice an onion with a SE Pacific Salt. You just finish the cuts with a little slice. I have no issues doing food prep with them.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I figured I was overthinking it a bit. Going to give it a try either way, but nice to have some indication of what to expect.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:52 pm
I figured I was overthinking it a bit. Going to give it a try either way, but nice to have some indication of what to expect.
Expect great separation of matter
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

navin johnson wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:34 pm
I have a half dozen or so serrated knives and find them useful only for certain tasks.

Every time I buy one I think it will be different and it's not. Sure you can EDC it but a plain edge works better for most of the things that I do with a knife. I do carry both while I work but only use the serrated for really nasty crap. And now use a utility knife for those type of tasks more often.

Besides,. H1 should have better edge retention. And it's hollow ground so I don't think you're giving up much to FFG
Of course I respect your experience and findings on SE, but still they are very different to mine.

May I ask: Are you sure you are not comparing rather dull SE to pretty sharp PE? Don´t know about you, but I have a feeling many people do exactly that.

If both a PE and an SE ffg Endura / Endela are sharp at let´s say cleanly-phonebook-slicing-level, in my use SE beats PE in almost every task easily.
And there are clear reasons why this is, here just a some:

1.) Not related directly to the serrations, but to the fact that Spydercos SE knvies come in a much more acute edge angle due to the chisel grind (so for example 15 degrees per side (=30 degrees inclusive) like in PE, but around 15 degrees inclusive for SE) - much "slicier" of course

2.) The points of the serrations initiate a cut much easier than a PE knife could, cause they (the points) penetrate material: Try for example a plastic bottle without using the tip of the knife: Much easier with SE, while PE will almost slide of the material

3.) In the cut the curves of the serrations "attack" the material from multiple different angles, PE can´t do that.

/ To your last points:
- In my use H1 in SE actually has amazing edge retention
- Serrations in ffg work better for me in "normal" tasks than in hollow sabre
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:55 pm
Try for example a plastic bottle without using the tip of the knife: Much easier with SE, while PE will almost slide of the material
Try it with a PE knife sharpened on a 200 grit diamond plate :D

https://streamable.com/fxz3tz

Notice how there's zero sliding, just like with a sharp SE.

This edge is like a cross between SE and more polished PE. I've fallen in love. I had to go to my lowest grit stone to finally get that aggressive feel SE offers on a PE knife, but I finally got the cutting action I was after.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:55 pm
Try for example a plastic bottle without using the tip of the knife: Much easier with SE, while PE will almost slide of the material
Try it with a PE knife sharpened on a 200 grit diamond plate :D

https://streamable.com/fxz3tz

Notice how there's zero sliding, just like with a sharp SE.

This edge is like a cross between SE and more polished PE. I've fallen in love. I had to go to my lowest grit stone to finally get that aggressive feel SE offers on a PE knife, but I finally got the cutting action I was after.
Thanks, Vivi, that´s impressive!! :eek:

But: Am I right that you can achieve that easily or even still better with an ffg SE knife, that STILL ALSO has a polished edge (so the spikes of the serrations ensure the penetration and "not sliding off" the material, while the scallops can still be sharpened for lets say optimal phone book paper slicing)?

So in a word: SE can offer the best of both worlds, but with PE one has to decide either for a coarse edge with all its pros and cons or a more polished edge with all the pros and cons there?

/ Anyway, I´ll try a really coarse edge on a PE knife - as a matter of fact I am in the process of really thoroughly reprofiling a Stretch 1 (PE of course) to a consistent 30 degree incl. bevel on my CBN rods. That´s the coarsest I can go with my limited equipment, and so I´ll have a 30 degree coarse bevel (before I´ll continue with the brown rods)
Do you happen to know what would be the equivalent grit to the CBN rods on a diamond plate?