Pac salt green frn lc200n shipping to dealers!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Pac salt green frn lc200n shipping to dealers!

Post by JuPaul »

I decided to enlist the new pac salt in the perpetual battle against my jungle of a backyard. I used my seasoned vet (the H1 pac salt 2) for the front/side yard, then the new recruit (the lc200n pac salt) for the back. Full disclosure: it wasn't a completely fair comparison because the h1 needs to be sharpened and the lc had the fresh factory edge. It cleanly sliced printer paper to start, but the h1 was starting to snag.
The lc200n pac salt is indeed a super slicer, and in this yardwork application it absolutely sailed through saplings, vines, honeysuckle and mulberry bushes. I actually managed to bend the tip because I expected to need way more pressure cutting through a sapling than I actually did, so I knocked the tip straight into a landscaping rock when I came through the cut. My mistake, and I'm sure the H1 would've bent under the same circumstances. After about an hour of frequent use in the yard, the edge definitely snags on printer paper.
So, my initial thoughts: the ffg grand does seem slicier than the sabre grind, but I will say that the sabre grind inspires more confidence when torquing on the blade at all. That being said, I didn't hold back at all on the lc200n, and it's obvious still in one piece. I think the SE H1 did just as well with pull cuts through fibrous materials where the serrations do all the work, but the ffg did seem to make push or sawing-type cuts more easily.
Here's a pic to compare the serrations and grind.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:18 am
I decided to enlist the new pac salt in the perpetual battle against my jungle of a backyard. I used my seasoned vet (the H1 pac salt 2) for the front/side yard, then the new recruit (the lc200n pac salt) for the back. Full disclosure: it wasn't a completely fair comparison because the h1 needs to be sharpened and the lc had the fresh factory edge. It cleanly sliced printer paper to start, but the h1 was starting to snag.
The lc200n pac salt is indeed a super slicer, and in this yardwork application it absolutely sailed through saplings, vines, honeysuckle and mulberry bushes. I actually managed to bend the tip because I expected to need way more pressure cutting through a sapling than I actually did, so I knocked the tip straight into a landscaping rock when I came through the cut. My mistake, and I'm sure the H1 would've bent under the same circumstances. After about an hour of frequent use in the yard, the edge definitely snags on printer paper.
So, my initial thoughts: the ffg grand does seem slicier than the sabre grind, but I will say that the sabre grind inspires more confidence when torquing on the blade at all. That being said, I didn't hold back at all on the lc200n, and it's obvious still in one piece. I think the SE H1 did just as well with pull cuts through fibrous materials where the serrations do all the work, but the ffg did seem to make push or sawing-type cuts more easily.

Thanks for the review, Julia!

What is that black and green stuff in the background of the third photo?

Interestingly, the SE on your LC Pac Salt looks more aggressive than the SE I’ve seen in product photos.

Edit:

Oops! The black and green is your glove! :o

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

James Y wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:28 am
JuPaul wrote:
I decided to enlist the new pac salt in the perpetual battle against my jungle of a backyard. I used my seasoned vet (the H1 pac salt 2) for the front/side yard, then the new recruit (the lc200n pac salt) for the back. Full disclosure: it wasn't a completely fair comparison because the h1 needs to be sharpened and the lc had the fresh factory edge. It cleanly sliced printer paper to start, but the h1 was starting to
The lc200n pac salt is indeed a super slicer, and in this yardwork application it absolutely sailed through saplings, vines, honeysuckle and mulberry bushes. I actually managed to bend the tip because I expected to need way more pressure cutting through a sapling than I actually did, so I knocked the tip straight into a landscaping rock when I came through the cut. My mistake, and I'm sure the H1 would've bent under the same circumstances. After about an hour of frequent use in the yard, the edge definitely snags on printer

Interestingly, the SE on your LC Pac Salt looks more aggressive than the SE I’ve seen in product photos.

Jim
That's just the palm of my gardening gloves.
- Julia

James Y

Post by James Y »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:36 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:28 am
JuPaul wrote:
I decided to enlist the new pac salt in the perpetual battle against my jungle of a backyard. I used my seasoned vet (the H1 pac salt 2) for the front/side yard, then the new recruit (the lc200n pac salt) for the back. Full disclosure: it wasn't a completely fair comparison because the h1 needs to be sharpened and the lc had the fresh factory edge. It cleanly sliced printer paper to start, but the h1 was starting to
The lc200n pac salt is indeed a super slicer, and in this yardwork application it absolutely sailed through saplings, vines, honeysuckle and mulberry bushes. I actually managed to bend the tip because I expected to need way more pressure cutting through a sapling than I actually did, so I knocked the tip straight into a landscaping rock when I came through the cut. My mistake, and I'm sure the H1 would've bent under the same circumstances. After about an hour of frequent use in the yard, the edge definitely snags on printer

Jim
That's just the palm of my gardening gloves.

Yes, I just noticed that myself! :o :D

Jim
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice! Now we need a black blade against that green handle!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:48 am
I totally agree. :cool:
- Julia

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
I decided to enlist the new pac salt in the perpetual battle against my jungle of a backyard. I used my seasoned vet (the H1 pac salt 2) for the front/side yard, then the new recruit (the lc200n pac salt) for the back.

Thanks, Julia, this review and comparison is much appreciated! :)

Especially the pic comparing the serration patterns: As I expected anyway, the ffg Pac Salt has the shallower grind (less deep scallops) than the H1 version (as it should be: Obviously the sabre grind H1 version will have a more obtuse primary angle than the ffg, so when applying a secondary angle of the same degree (lets say 20 incl.) on this chisel grind blades it has to go higher up on the sabre grind blade)
The ffg serrations look very "endela-ish" (maybe a bit more aggressive) and that´s a good thing for me.

On the bent tip: This in my experience is a typical SE/chisel grind thing: The much more acute angle of the chisel grind (compared to a V grind) continues into the tip of course, and makes it more pointy (a plus), but also less robust (a minus).
I managed to bent /dull the tips of both my Endela SE and Pac Salt SE (in H1) pretty immidiately... :o

/ Anyway: Hope this green beauty will hit European stores soon!!!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:13 pm
JuPaul wrote:
I decided to enlist the new pac salt in the perpetual battle against my jungle of a backyard. I used my seasoned vet (the H1 pac salt 2) for the front/side yard, then the new recruit (the lc200n pac salt) for the back.

Thanks, Julia, this review and comparison is much appreciated! :)

Especially the pic comparing the serration patterns: As I expected anyway, the ffg Pac Salt has the shallower grind (less deep scallops) than the H1 version (as it should be: Obviously the sabre grind H1 version will have a more obtuse primary angle than the ffg, so when applying a secondary angle of the same degree (lets say 20 incl.) on this chisel grind blades it has to go higher up on the sabre grind blade)
The ffg serrations look very "endela-ish" (maybe a bit more aggressive) and that´s a good thing for me.

On the bent tip: This in my experience is a typical SE/chisel grind thing: The much more acute angle of the chisel grind (compared to a V grind) continues into the tip of course, and makes it more pointy (a plus), but also less robust (a minus).
I managed to bent /dull the tips of both my Endela SE and Pac Salt SE (in H1) pretty immidiately... :o

/ Anyway: Hope this green beauty will hit European stores soon!!!! :)
You are going to love this one! I see now why it has been one of your grail knives. :)
- Julia

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:13 pm
JuPaul wrote:
You are going to love this one! I see now why it has been one of your grail knives. :)
Yes, I will! So glad that an ffg Endura style model in full SE finally came true! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benben

Post by benben »

Thanks Julia, especially for the side by side pic! Now we just need a green handled LC200N Rockjumper! ;) :D
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:55 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
So... buy an all black pacific salt 2 in SE H1 and a PC2 LC200N In PE or SE... swap blades for a green and black PC2 H1 SE and a black and satin LC200N. Really need a good sale to make that happen!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:10 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:55 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
So... buy an all black pacific salt 2 in SE H1 and a PC2 LC200N In PE or SE... swap blades for a green and black PC2 H1 SE and a black and satin LC200N. Really need a good sale to make that happen!
I've done the black blade swap before, and it wasn't too costly since I did end up selling the resulting satin/black one. But I like keeping the green with the LC since the whole line will have this green. I'm just gonna cross my fingers for a black blade model in the future!
- Julia

bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

JuPaul wrote:
A 10.00 pair of Fiskar's pruners would work better, and much easier :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bouhunter wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:38 am
[quote=JuPaul post_id=1463594 time=1603559899 user_id=1002710
[/quote]

Au contraire! Like most people I used pruners and nippers for years, until I got a Pac Salt. I absolutely prefer using the SE knife for most jobs. Obviously I'm not going to trim whole hedges with a knife, but for cutting back vines and random woody weeds I think it's way quicker to rip through them with the knife in my pocket or waistband rather than carring around a pair of shears. Certainly there are times when pruners make more sense, but cleaning up my yard the other day I never missed them.
- Julia

FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Same here. I have found SE H1 knives to be better than any pruners/shears. For cutting brush, thinner branches, vines, etc. I prefer to use the Pac Salt and Tasman Salt.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:22 am
bouhunter wrote:
Au contraire! Like most people I used pruners and nippers for years, until I got a Pac Salt. I absolutely prefer using the SE knife for most jobs. Obviously I'm not going to trim whole hedges with a knife, but for cutting back vines and random woody weeds I think it's way quicker to rip through them with the knife in my pocket or waistband rather than carring around a pair of shears. Certainly there are times when pruners make more sense, but cleaning up my yard the other day I never missed them.
[/quote]

Je suis d'accord avec toi ! :D
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:39 am
Same here. I have found SE H1 knives to be better than any pruners/shears. For cutting brush, thinner branches, vines, etc. I prefer to use the Pac Salt and Tasman Salt.
I don´t know a lot about pruners, so can´t weigh in on those.

BUT: One of the reasons my H1 Pac Salt SE makes for such a great mountain knife: It cuts dwarf mountain pines amazingly well:
These plants grow above the actual tree line, but (obviously) below the line where no real vegetation can exist anymore. They come in form of a very matted thicket, can be from like knee-high to over head high, and are extremly hard to get through. So sometimes you actually have to cut your way through, or, in case of an unplanned overnighter high up on the mountains, cut some of their branches for a makeshift matress...

Even the best PE Spyderco would have a hard time cutting this tough, resilient twigs - not so the Pac Salt SE ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:40 am
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:22 am
bouhunter wrote:
Je suis d'accord avec toi ! :D
[/quote]

:) :) :)
- Julia

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

You bunch of enablers forced my hands. SE inbound, so this will be my 1st SE Spydie that isn't a hawkbill :)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049