Pac salt green frn lc200n shipping to dealers!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: Pac salt green frn lc200n shipping to dealers!

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:07 am
vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:55 pm
Try for example a plastic bottle without using the tip of the knife: Much easier with SE, while PE will almost slide of the material
Try it with a PE knife sharpened on a 200 grit diamond plate :D

https://streamable.com/fxz3tz

Notice how there's zero sliding, just like with a sharp SE.

This edge is like a cross between SE and more polished PE. I've fallen in love. I had to go to my lowest grit stone to finally get that aggressive feel SE offers on a PE knife, but I finally got the cutting action I was after.
Thanks, Vivi, that´s impressive!! :eek:

But: Am I right that you can achieve that easily or even still better with an ffg SE knife, that STILL ALSO has a polished edge (so the spikes of the serrations ensure the penetration and "not sliding off" the material, while the scallops can still be sharpened for lets say optimal phone book paper slicing)?

So in a word: SE can offer the best of both worlds, but with PE one has to decide either for a coarse edge with all its pros and cons or a more polished edge with all the pros and cons there?

/ Anyway, I´ll try a really coarse edge on a PE knife - as a matter of fact I am in the process of really thoroughly reprofiling a Stretch 1 (PE of course) to a consistent 30 degree incl. bevel on my CBN rods. That´s the coarsest I can go with my limited equipment, and so I´ll have a 30 degree coarse bevel (before I´ll continue with the brown rods)
Do you happen to know what would be the equivalent grit to the CBN rods on a diamond plate?
Approximately 400 from my experience. It seems fairly close to my Atoma 400 grit diamond plate.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Approximately 400 from my experience. It seems fairly close to my Atoma 400 grit diamond plate.

Thanks! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Try for example a plastic bottle without using the tip of the knife: Much easier with SE, while PE will almost slide of the material
Try it with a PE knife sharpened on a 200 grit diamond plate :D

https://streamable.com/fxz3tz

Notice how there's zero sliding, just like with a sharp SE.

This edge is like a cross between SE and more polished PE. I've fallen in love. I had to go to my lowest grit stone to finally get that aggressive feel SE offers on a PE knife, but I finally got the cutting action I was after.
Thanks, Vivi, that´s impressive!! :eek:

But: Am I right that you can achieve that easily or even still better with an ffg SE knife, that STILL ALSO has a polished edge (so the spikes of the serrations ensure the penetration and "not sliding off" the material, while the scallops can still be sharpened for lets say optimal phone book paper slicing)?

So in a word: SE can offer the best of both worlds, but with PE one has to decide either for a coarse edge with all its pros and cons or a more polished edge with all the pros and cons there?

/ Anyway, I´ll try a really coarse edge on a PE knife - as a matter of fact I am in the process of really thoroughly reprofiling a Stretch 1 (PE of course) to a consistent 30 degree incl. bevel on my CBN rods. That´s the coarsest I can go with my limited equipment, and so I´ll have a 30 degree coarse bevel (before I´ll continue with the brown rods)
Do you happen to know what would be the equivalent grit to the CBN rods on a diamond plate?
I think the diamond / cbn rods are in the 325-400 grit range. They can certainly leave a toothy edge.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p1460503

There's me shaving with that 200 grit finished Aqua Salt. You don't have to completely give up push cutting ability. Will it be as versatile as a SE knife with a polished edge? Maybe, maybe not....probably depends on your uses.

Might not be a bad idea to move this talk to that thread :)
:unicorn
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Edit
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Thanks for the links. Mine arrived today, fast shipping. I ordered around midnight Friday, it shipped Saturday at noon and arrived today.

I like the green and black combo, but I also like the yellow.

Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 pm
Thanks for the links. Mine arrived today, fast shipping. I ordered around midnight Friday, it shipped Saturday at noon and arrived today.

I like the green and black combo, but I also like the yellow.

Excellent!.. I love that green!
•• Beau
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’m really liking this new Pacific Salt!

Ordered it from Knifeworks on Friday and it arrived today.
6AA42A1E-DBFF-4F2D-A644-75A2765C677A.jpeg
It’s sooo lightweight and much more balanced in hand compared to the H1 version.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Got mine today too. The green is great. Got mine in pe but will get the atlantic in serrated. I hope to see this in dfly and para3lw as well.
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

Looks like the PE are shipping first.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

PE out of stock at my favorite online store. Is this a regular stock item and be back for sale eventually?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

z4vdBt wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 am
PE out of stock at my favorite online store. Is this a regular stock item and be back for sale eventually?
Yes. They'll get more.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So, I can't decide if this will become a beater like my H1 pac salt, or if it'll be more of an edc. Either way, I can tell it's gonna be a great knife. I agree that it feels more balanced that the heavy-bladed H1 version, and I love the green. I am curious to see how it'll hold up to abuse compared to the H1, though. We'll find out!
- Julia

SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:48 am
So, I can't decide if this will become a beater like my H1 pac salt, or if it'll be more of an edc. Either way, I can tell it's gonna be a great knife. I agree that it feels more balanced that the heavy-bladed H1 version, and I love the green. I am curious to see how it'll hold up to abuse compared to the H1, though. We'll find out!
[img]https://i.imgur.com/DmXzixA.jpg[/img
That green is awesome!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Beware: both pivot screws in the SE and PE were almost completely out of the knife when I opened the box.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I tightened the pivot on mine to reduce side to side play but the up and down play was the worst I've seen on a new Spyderco lockback. Was it a fluke? I returned it.
I had an H-1 Pac Salt with very minimal up and down play. I had a sprint run Superhawk with very minimal play. Enduras, Delicas, Dragonflies, none were like this.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

^^^Yikes, guys! There's only the tiniest bit of side to side play on mine, which goes away when I tighten the pivot (about 1/4 turn tighter than I like it). Same on my h1 pac salt. I figured it was a linerless model thing, since my linered delicas/enduras are rock solid.
- Julia

ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm bummed out because I'm afraid to buy another. I'm not super picky about up and down on a lockback. I know what to expect but this was worse than normal. I would have been curious to open it up.
Still considering getting a RockJumper or Endura Wharnie. I don't have a serrated Spydie and I'm itching for one.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Received my SE Version a few minutes ago. Extremely impressed with this piece. The only minor concern was the pivot screw which was lose (as others have stated). A speck of Blue (Locktite), and a tweak of the screw is all I had to do. (See what I did there?) Great job Mr. S.Glesser, Mr. E. Glesser, and the Spyderco Crew!!! :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:21 am
z4vdBt wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 am

Yes. They'll get more.

Sure enough - got a PE on the way to complement the SE. The pivot on my SE was / is just fine.