Spyderco’s best kept secret

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Spyderco’s best kept secret

Post by elena86 »

From time to time I try my luck and hope to finally find out which is Sal’s fav edc, the ONE. All we know(or at least all I know) so far is that he likes to carry a Manbug from time to time and that the Stretch is his beloved pet project. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine but.... who knows, maybe the Man himself decides to throw us a bone... or not :rolleyes:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Albatross

Re: Spyderco’s best kept secret

Post by Albatross »

He carries a Police quite a bit.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

He designed the G-10 Police 4 around his own personal preferences, I believe.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:15 am
He designed the G-10 Police 4 around his own personal preferences, I believe.

IIRC, he also said the same about the Police 4 Lightweight.

Jim
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

From what I have gathered during my time here is that he favors the Military, Stretch, Manbug and for a fixed blade the Temperance2.

Maybe he has some newer favorites though like the Police4 or Rockjumper?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sounds like you are fishing for a Sal's Casual Bombshell for a possible new model lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I started this thread just because exactly 11 years ago I purchased my first Spydie. It's still in my collection, an old foliage green G10, UKPK in S30V. I shall never depart that one. Awesome slipit, timeless Sal Glesser design. The man is a genius, mark my words.

P.S BTW, we need more UKPK's. What about a salt one in LC steel with lime green FRN handle ? Quite off topic but I am allowed to derail my own thread, I guess...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

He has given his definitive answer: How do you pick your favorite child?

Sal has designed a lot of knives for his personal needs/tastes. We are very lucky that he is generous enough to share them with us.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

One benefit of running a knife company, I would guess, is that you don’t need to figure out which ones you like best. You’re going to end up carrying dozens of knives a year.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I think he carries mostly prototypes...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marius,

To tell you the truth, I was a little intimidated to open the thread. Oh uh, what does Marius know?

Thanx for the kind words. Passion is a good thing.

As far as what I like? I do enjoy the using of the tool. You can't "know" the spirit of the design without using it. It also gives me the opportunity to see if it can be improved. I generally prefer larger knives, (3" or over). I'l also commonly carry a small blade, Manbug or other. Right now I've been adding the Roadie because of some requests for a larger version, and it's a slippie.

About half of the time I'm carrying a proto or first article seeking improvement. Maybe 3 days to a week to put it through its paces. The rest of the time, I'll look over the spread of knives in my office and pick one. I've been carrying the SPITS (as it is know in the UK). Great design and excellent build quality. And then I ask myself during the using time, do we want to make another run? I have the job of creating and testing, designs, steels, and any oddball blade that we or some of you come up with. I'm currently testing a unique design by a Japanese custom maker. Very bright blade maker. It's a rough job, but someone has to do it. :)

So Marius, I hope that serves your curiosity for now?

sal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Passion is the spice in the spirit that makes excellence possible".
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

*oops, wrong thread :)
Last edited by nerdlock on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

*deleted
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Nate

Post by Nate »

Crazy reading Sal’s post... Have been carrying my PITS a lot lately and was musing earlier today about how great it is. How I kind of wish I had picked up another and that maybe it was just a bit ahead of its time.

Will admit it was out of my price range at the original msrp and I only bought one once they were discontinued and on sale, but now that I have it another run would be sweet.
:spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:35 pm
Hi Marius,

To tell you the truth, I was a little intimidated to open the thread. Oh uh, what does Marius know?

As far as what I like? I do enjoy the using of the tool. You can't "know" the spirit of the design without using it. It also gives me the opportunity to see if it can be improved. I generally prefer larger knives, (3" or over). I'l also commonly carry a small blade, Manbug or other. Right now I've been adding the Roadie because of some requests for a larger version, and it's a slippie.

About half of the time I'm carrying a proto or first article seeking improvement. Maybe 3 days to a week to put it through its paces. The rest of the time, I'll look over the spread of knives in my office and pick one. I've been carrying the SPITS (as it is know in the UK). Great design and excellent build quality. And then I ask myself during the using time, do we want to make another run? I have the job of creating and testing, designs, steels, and any oddball blade that we or some of you come up with. I'm currently testing a unique design by a Japanese custom maker. Very bright blade maker. It's a rough job, but someone has to do it. :)

sal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious what exactly do you find to cut with all the knives you have to test? Do you have any preferred materials you like to cut up? I've been thinking about putting together a sort of "material cutting gauntlet" that I can test out knives on with common things that people cut up but also some harder things that can push a knife so you really get a feel for ergonomics and hot spots and slicing ability and such. I know that just breaking down boxes will tell you one story but if you take the same knife out to do some hard whittling or carving it can change real quick.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sal wrote:
Hi Marius,

sal

I just want to say YES to another run of the PITS. I missed It during its original availability due to finances and have kicking myself ever since. I almost bought one on EBay recently. So please a sprint would be much appreciated.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I was carrying the PITS over the weekend. A special design, for sure. I would like to see the next run in a different colored anodize.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:00 am

P.S BTW, we need more UKPK's. What about a salt one in LC steel with lime green FRN handle ? Quite off topic but I am allowed to derail my own thread, I guess...
YES! we need more UKPK's. Why don't you start a new thread on this topic?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sal, I remember years ago that you said you carried a Manbug nearly every day? Is that still true? Has the new wharncliffe model booted your old one out of your pocket? Was the old one a G10 or FRN?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Hi Marius,

sal

Thank you Sal for your awesome disclosure. Looking forward to your next bombshells :)
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )