Shaman: Primal instincts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Shaman: Primal instincts?

Post by Albatross »

My carry experiment with a Rosewood Shaman has reminded me of a few things: the handle is fantastic, I like the feel of "Rosewood", the blade is heavy, and somehow the Shaman feels better (to me) in the pocket than a Para 3. The knife had been sidelined for a while, so it felt good to give the it some pocket time once again.

One slightly (very) odd thing that I find enjoyable about the Shaman is the decreased cutting efficiency. Yeah, that's right, I like it. Weird huh? Or maybe not...

I've found that the thick blade stock takes more effort to cut through materials than something like a Manix. The knife practically begs to be used with reckless abandon, and there's a sort of primal satisfaction I get from that. Maybe it's just Testosterone getting it's way, who knows? When I use the knife more aggressively, it suddenly cuts like a thinner blade. With enough force, the cuts go from difficult and slightly unpleasant, to silky and enjoyable.

An odd thing happens when using this knife more aggressively: suddenly it doesn't feel like I'm using any more effort than a more efficient (thin) blade, even though I actually am.

Am I alone in this odd appreciation and realization, or are there other weirdos out there? :D
Tucson Tom

Re: Shaman: Primal instincts?

Post by Tucson Tom »

I find all this quite interesting. The Shaman is one of my all time favorite knives, and the Rosewood Shaman is a particular favorite knife of mine, perhaps my best loved Shaman.

I also have an appreciation for the "stout" blade of the Shaman. There are those who will complain that it is "not a good slicer", but I don't do much slicing with my folding knives (I have an 8 inch chef knife for slicing). I use the Shaman for things like opening bags, cutting zip ties, and things of that sort where a thick blade is just the ticket. Stripping insulation off of big cable is another use where a blade like this is great. For jobs like these, the big stout Shaman just inspires confidence.

I can't say that I have experienced the phenomenon you are describing, but I'll start carrying that knife again and pay attention.
blues

Post by blues »

Clearly, Albatross, you are under the witch doctor's spell. :eek:

(I'm looking forward to another Shaman. Especially Cru-Wear, so we can really play with abandon. :cool: )
- Retired from the chase -
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I've thinned the edges a little bit on my 4v and Cruwear Shamans, but I think they absolutely rip through materials like thick cardboard, plastic ties, etc. And that beefy blade means I'm not afraid to really put a lot of force into a cut, as you said, or to tork and twist on the blade a bit. Shamans are a bit too beefy for my everyday needs in the city, but I LOVE the model for big cardboard days at home, and for general carry in the woods and around our property.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Got the St. Nicks and the Tree Rex model. Beefy begins to describe it. I absolutely love the 4v, and have used it clearing out brush. I maaay have said it before, but if spyderco released a fixed blade version, Slab scales, my wallet would beg for mercy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dunno man I sorta have the opposite experience usually. I have a ZT that's built like a tank and it slices like a tank too...as in not well at all. The whole overbuilt folder concept is an unusual concept because what makes it stronger and able to withstand abuse also usually makes it suck as a cutting tool. I think if I used a Shaman more than I do I'd have one reground a tad thinner at the edge or maybe even convex it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think the shaman definitely hits the sweet spot combining great performance doing what it is supposed to do and great durability doing what it's not supposed to do :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I find the Shaman does everything pretty well. I don't have the factoryedge on my s30 model anymore, it's slightly convex, and slices almost as well as a PM2. I have more confidence in it when doing heavy work though because of the extra thickness. I think it has the best of both worlds, and is one reason why I love it so much. Spyderco also puts an awesome factory edge on it. I know evil d said that his zt cuts like a tank, and I've found zt and Kershaw usually put a much more obtuse angle than is necessary at the edge. My 0562cf is pretty thick, but actually slices well thanks to me taking the edge angle down quite a bit. I think the only one I haven't had to touch has been my 0456cf because it already had a really good (15 dps or close) edge on it.

I also have to say my Shaman actually feels that it is as tough as my Hinderer, and still retains my number 1 spot! I really love the xm-18, but the Shaman still does it for me. It's just perfect!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Julia,

Do you know how much thinner it is %?

I usually thin out most of my blades for personal use. We use good enough steels to handle it.

Just as a bit of a tease; I mentioned earlier that there are two more versions based on th Shaman pattern. One is thinner stock and a lighter handle and the other is a "sans finger choil".

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I can imagine the thinner stock one as perfect for summer use....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:58 pm
Hi Julia,

I usually thin out most of my blades for personal use. We use good enough steels to handle it.

Just as a bit of a tease; I mentioned earlier that there are two more versions based on th Shaman pattern. One is thinner stock and a lighter handle and the other is a "sans finger choil".

sal
Be still, my heart! A choil-less Shaman would be spectacular!
anycal

Post by anycal »

sal wrote:
Hi Julia,

sal

Based on the Shaman, as in different models, and Golden made?
Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

Reminds me of my Manix Observations thread where I compared the CBBL XL to the lockback C95.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85577

A lot of people were confused why I, an edge junky, would be so excited about a 4mm thick blade stock folder.

The C95 and Shaman both have broad blades with full flat grinds...or close to it. They both come to a thin edge bevel. They both cut well for how beefy they are.

Like Albatross, while I like thin blades, a lot of the things I cut don't demand them. Opening mail and packages, cutting rope, making feather sticks, trimming threads, slicing pallet straps, slicing the plastic twist ties on kids toys....these are things that basically just require a sharp apex.

There's something to be said for the inertia of a heavier knife. While I don't EDC one anymore, I enjoyed this about the Buck 110. The weight of the knife lets it do most the work for you on many cutting tasks.

I love my sub 4oz lightweights, but sometimes a beefier knife is a better choice.
:unicorn
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:
Hi Julia,

sal

Wow, a Shaman LW! Great stuff Sal, something to look forward to!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

sal wrote:
Hi Julia,

sal
About 17dps. Nothing extreme. IIRC they were around 20dps from the factory. I'm very interested to see both of these other versions! I would definitely carry a thinner, lighter Shaman as more of an edc knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
fixall

Post by fixall »

I'm curious to see if the choiless Shaman was given the Rockjumper treatment as far as the "handle forward" design goes.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I’m really looking forward to a Shaman LW. I love my Shaman but find it a bit bulky for EDC. I usually like to EDC lightweight models. My current favorite is my Goddard LW. So I’m glad a Shaman LW is in the works.
sal

Post by sal »

The lighter Shaman is not FRN.

sal
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:05 pm
The lighter Shaman is not FRN.

sal
Eh well, even a lighter version in G10 will be welcome. But I’d love to see one in FRN someday :)
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

Shaman skinny will be awesome! :)