Wildland Firefighters Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: Wildland Firefighters Knife

Post by Fireman »

I am grateful for all your support, especially Sal. This will be an exciting knife. Sal, I will email you the dimensions I was thinking of. I am going to take a grinding wheel to one of my knives to make the notch this coming shift and play with some barbed wire fences.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Hi everyone! I have an update for all those following this thread. I made a prototype of the wire breaker and it worked better than I expected. In initial tests it worked in as little as 2 seconds. Not to reveal any details, but It is a modified notch. I hope the emails of the vids made it through to Sal. If you do not receive the emails, I will try to find another way to get them to you.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

driftingfir wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 am
The new Pacific salt 2 in lc200n may be of interest to you
That's what I kind of thought when I read your opening post. Yeah a specialty knife for firefighters would be ideal for the "Salt Series". Especially with all the potential abuse that firefighters or any other first responder would put a knife through.

I'm kind of thinking that a fixed blade might be better than a folder being the blade would most often be used in an emergency situation. We had a great firefighter here on the forum but I haven't seen him in quite a while. His forum name is "Tonydahose". It seemed like he spoke a lot about folders from what I can remember. But again I would be more inclined to go with a fixed blade if I were in that line of work.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

After a demonstration of the notch at work the other firefighters got excited about the project and expressed the desire to have one. They immediately got the importance and advantage that it could give in the needed scenarios. One of the Helitack guys was so into it he asked me to make a notch in his knife and add a knife on his gear. They especially understood the need to have a solution and to be light and fool proof. These guys are the real high speed low drag of Wildland firefighting and do whatever they can to carry minimal or light gear so they can carry more water because you can’t do anything without water and they are a bit obsessed about their flight weights. (their weight with all their gear that goes on the helicopter.)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

May sound a bit odd, but I feel honored to just be able to watch this thread and process work out. Really can't remember when I've seen something like this if it comes to fruition and I really hope it will. Heck may buy one just to support the cause.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

This thread had me watch "Only the brave" a few days back, when I had some spare time to spend in front of the TV.
As far as I can tell, it is a well made movie that provides a somewhat realistic insight into a very special occupation. And manage not ruin it trying to make it more "entertaining" by spicing it up with too much exaggerations and side stories, which is a temptation many movies and TV shows falls victim of. Well worth my time, and I might have missed it entirely if it wasn't for this thread.
Now, even if it seemed to hold back on the worst over the top Hollywood drama, there is obviously still a difference between real life and movies, but nonetheless, this line of work is obviously hard work, and I have no problem understanding why weight is such a big concern.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for your input. Fixed vs folder is a personal decision but I will tell you that very few use a fixed blade. Most wildland FFs have either a folder or a multi tool or both. The multi tool has some significant issues and the ability to cut barbed wire is feable at best.
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:20 am
driftingfir wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:30 am
The new Pacific salt 2 in lc200n may be of interest to you
That's what I kind of thought when I read your opening post. Yeah a specialty knife for firefighters would be ideal for the "Salt Series". Especially with all the potential abuse that firefighters or any other first responder would put a knife through.

I'm kind of thinking that a fixed blade might be better than a folder being the blade would most often be used in an emergency situation. We had a great firefighter here on the forum but I haven't seen him in quite a while. His forum name is "Tonydahose". It seemed like he spoke a lot about folders from what I can remember. But again I would be more inclined to go with a fixed blade if I were in that line of work.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I share your sentiments. I would want it to be useful for many people even though it would be a specialty knife. Look at how many people use the Military even though they may not be in the military.
Bemo wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:33 pm
May sound a bit odd, but I feel honored to just be able to watch this thread and process work out. Really can't remember when I've seen something like this if it comes to fruition and I really hope it will. Heck may buy one just to support the cause.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I think most people only have a rough idea about what goes into being a wildland Firefighter. It was probably a year before even my wife knew that I was not wearing a SCBA on the fires lol. There is a reason why we are referred to as Smoke Chokers. I think a lot of people got their first glimpse into Wildland firefighting through that movie. You only get so much watching the news. There are different agencies federal, state and local as well as private contractors involved in the field with such a wide variety of specialty jobs but the majority being boots on the ground cutting line, putting in hose and protecting life and property. The movie is a good reminder about the price that some have paid to do this exciting and fulfilling job.
aicolainen wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:47 am
This thread had me watch "Only the brave" a few days back, when I had some spare time to spend in front of the TV.
As far as I can tell, it is a well made movie that provides a somewhat realistic insight into a very special occupation. And manage not ruin it trying to make it more "entertaining" by spicing it up with too much exaggerations and side stories, which is a temptation many movies and TV shows falls victim of. Well worth my time, and I might have missed it entirely if it wasn't for this thread.
Now, even if it seemed to hold back on the worst over the top Hollywood drama, there is obviously still a difference between real life and movies, but nonetheless, this line of work is obviously hard work, and I have no problem understanding why weight is such a big concern.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Fireman,

I got your emails. I could only open one, with the file and barbed wire. Can you send those dimensions to me so I can make one here. I like to do my own testing.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:47 am

I fully agree, what I liked most about the movie is that it seemed to hold back on "Michael Bay-esque" moments of unrealistic action sequences. And that it also painted those Hot Shots as normal people with flaws and problems and all. It's not for everyone but for forumers who are also watching this thread, I give it my recommendation to watch the movie if they have no idea how terribly hard it is to be a Wildland Firefighter.

Fireman wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:43 pm
I think most people only have a rough idea about what goes into being a wildland Firefighter. It was probably a year before even my wife knew that I was not wearing a SCBA on the fires lol. There is a reason why we are referred to as Smoke Chokers. I think a lot of people got their first glimpse into Wildland firefighting through that movie. You only get so much watching the news. There are different agencies federal, state and local as well as private contractors involved in the field with such a wide variety of specialty jobs but the majority being boots on the ground cutting line, putting in hose and protecting life and property. The movie is a good reminder about the price that some have paid to do this exciting and fulfilling job.

I don't think the movie shows the whole scope and breadth of your profession, but for what its worth, even getting a glimpse at what you guys do every season, gave me a new appreciation for what you have been doing and as to why this thread is evolving to what it is now. I agree with Sal - there were several questions to be answered after the tragedy and one of them "could" be a failure of equipment. We will never know, but at least moving forward, we can use that tragedy as a basis for making more better and reliable equipment that will help you guys survive the fires that you face in the wild.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
sal

Post by sal »

Well said Nerdlock,

Appreciation is a very critical value. One we all could use more of. Especially for the Save & Serve members of out communities.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Hi Sal. I sent you dimensions and now working on another way to get you the videos.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Just curious, are y'all testing on tightly strung barbwire, or loose pieces?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

olywa wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:21 pm
Just curious, are y'all testing on tightly strung barbwire, or loose pieces?
I did testing on new and old barbed wire as well as tight and lose.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Fireman.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:38 pm
Thanx Fireman.

sal
No problem!
Did you see the vids?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

My apologies for not reading the whole thread, it may have already been mentioned and/or you may already be aware of these but I’m going to post it here anyways!

https://channellock.com/product/87/
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 am
My apologies for not reading the whole thread, it may have already been mentioned and/or you may already be aware of these but I’m going to post it here anyways!

I hope the thread is a good read. It is getting long now I guess. Yes, these are good and I am aware of these. These are a good tool for structural firefighters but this is will be a wildland firefighter specific knife.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:52 am
prndltech wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 am

I hope the thread is a good read. It is getting long now I guess. Yes, these are good and I am aware of these. These are a good tool for structural firefighters but this is will be a wildland firefighter specific knife.
Cool. Sounds interesting, I’ll read through it in pieces!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006