Any interest in the return of models like the pingo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Any interest in the return of models like the pingo?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I got a chance to handle a standard frn pingo a few months back, and I immediately fell in love with the design. Full length backspring with a defined halfstop. Slight forward choil like on the watu, to help keep the blade in place. Extremely ergonomic, especially with the well placed wire clip. Non-intimidating shape, but still cuts just as well as any other spydie.

With the popularity of the Ti ukpk and damasteel ukpk threads I know there’s still interest in simple slip joints with premium materials. And the pingo is, in my eyes at least, the ideal “everywhere legal” slip-it in the lineup. I just want to see spyderco’s more reserved offerings expand further, to fill the fancier holes in my collection with spydercos. And I think bringing more models like the pingo, or even the ikuchi, into this new “fancy knaf” lineup would help spread spydies even further across the globe.

Just imagine a Pingo in grey micarta, polished backspring and hardware, and a damasteel blade. Or an ikuchi with cocobolo scales and a 20cv blade...

Mostly posting this to gauge intrest. Since I’m not even sure I’d actually use the knives in this theoretical line, since I spend most of my “knife time” beating my spydiechef senseless. But still, everyone needs a dinner party knife. Right?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
jdw

Re: Any interest in the return of models like the pingo?

Post by jdw »

I had a K390 Pingo that I still regret letting go. It's really a well designed knife with highly functional blade for a variety of tasks. I would buy a 'fancy' upgraded model and I agree that it's a platform just waiting for an upgrade.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I would definitely be down for a CF/Damasteel Pingo.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

There is a Pingo with Ti scales and ELMAX steel that's been tempting me for weeks. I would be okay with them bringing it back.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Put a lock on it and even a usable thumb hole and I'd buy a Pingo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

It was designed to meet the knife laws in Denmark so slip joint, two-handed open, and 2.3" blade.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:26 pm
you can fit an aftermarket thumbstud in the hole and the partial forward choil holds the blade open. There you go :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:42 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:26 pm
you can fit an aftermarket thumbstud in the hole and the partial forward choil holds the blade open. There you go :D

Eh, not a big thumb stud fan. It's the biggest reason I refuse to buy anything from CRK.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I just picked to an orange FRN Pingo a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it. I’d be down for any variations.
JMM

Post by JMM »

jdw wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:12 pm
I had a K390 Pingo that I still regret letting go. It's really a well designed knife with highly functional blade for a variety of tasks. I would buy a 'fancy' upgraded model and I agree that it's a platform just waiting for an upgrade.
I've got the Ti Elmax version and I really like it... but I've looked and looked for the K390 version and never found one... :(

If they were to re-release a K390 model with the current K390 FRN colour I'd be all about it for sure.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Pingo is a great little knife for office carry, it's not threatening, deep carry clip makes it invisible + the modified sheepsfot blade is great for opening tape on boxes.

If there were an updated version, I'm hoping for at least twice as slim width of the blade. The existing one is just brutally thick.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I had the K390 Pingo and carried it when travelling in Ireland and the UK.

It is a very thick blade. The thumbstud idea doesn’t really work. The opening arc and stud position needs to be specifically designed for one hand opening, and the hole is just a cosmetic trademark feature.

It’s a socially friendly looking knife, so can be used in a lot of situations.

Mine ended up being lost when my luggage was damaged at Kuala Lumpur airport in Malaysia.

The airline compensated me, and I bought a K390 Urban instead.

When I lost that Urban at work, a year or two after that, I replaced it as soon as I could.

I’ve never really thought to replace that Pingo, or try another in a different steel, to be honest.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

The last time I was in the SFO, (about 10 days ago,) they had a Pingo Ti/Elmax in the clearance display case.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Pingo is my travel knife. Been in my travel bag for a few years. Travel remote and end up making a sandwich or 2 in the hotel most nights for the next day in the field
It’s always good to have a Spyderco

Here is a Dinner pic from a few years ago. Smoked Salmon was delicious ;)

Also this is the most commented on Spyderco I have ever owned. Always gets a comment. It’s like the best public friendly knife ever made in my book.
Last edited by standy99 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I like vox/anso designs (they do sheepsfoot so we'll) and I like the pingo EXCEPT the hook at the end of the handle ruins the grip for me. I guess it's supposed to be a 3 finger only knife? But then my index finger isn't on the "choil"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm very fond of the Pingo. I have the ti/elmax variant and I really like it. I'd love to have the K390 version.

A green LC200N Pingo salt would be a fantastic travel knife.

Another model 'like' the Pingo that I'd love to see sprinted in an upgraded variant is the PITS. PITS in M390 would be fantastic (and I bet it would sell like crazy too).
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:00 pm
A green LC200N Pingo salt would be a fantastic travel knife.
Or with stonewashed Ti handles and blacked out backspring and hardware. The ukpk deserves the same treatment. Mini spydiechefs for all!
Lightly insane.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Tough to find threads dedicated to the Pingo these days! I figured this was a good one as any to post these pics of my current roundup. Thanks to fellow forumites Ted Phillips and Liquid Cobra for the rosewood and rock-patterned Ti scales, respectively. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm in, of course! I've made a couple of threads on this in the past. I love the Pingo, but I want it thinner behind the edge, and a thinner blade would be nice, too.

I love this design and it feels good in my big hands for such a small knife. I can open and close it with one hand without issue. It is a nice pocket knife.

I think Sal said that a new release was not going to happen in the last thread I made on this wonderful knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

"the Pingo was specifically designed to conform to the knife laws of Denmark, which prohibit both lock-blade folding knives and all forms of one-hand-opening knives."

🙄 seriously those law makers should be imprisoned for life for gross negligence and sheer stupidity. What an awful country to live in, law-wise.