Moran in LC200N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Moran in LC200N

Post by JRinFL »

Based on Evil D's thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85045#p1366199

I think it is time for the Moran series of fixed blades to be made in LC200N. Then, get them into the hands of several hunters via giveaways, etc. and watch the sales. It just might be the greatest lightweight hunting knife. It's also a great all-rounder.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Abyss_Fish

Re: Moran in LC200N

Post by Abyss_Fish »

did someone say lc200n?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would jump on a Moran fixed blade with LC200N in a heartbeat. I've had a couple of the MORAN models over the years but I traded them because I always liked the TEMPERANCE 1 model better. But a MORAN with LC200N and make them available in SE & PE both and I would get one of each.

That is an excellent idea for a new Sprint Run. I've been wondering about a possible Sprint Run for one of the fixed blades and this might be perfect for this time. But we do need more fixed blades in SE and LC200N would do good in both edge types IMO.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Will it be used around the ocean? Is VG10 not stainless enough? Can Moki work with LC200N?

I would prefer to see something with more edge retention for a hunting knife. We have seen Moki work with ZDP and HAP40. I would probably buy a Moran in Hap40 with an orange handle. I would definitely buy a Moran in 10V or S110V.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:45 pm
Will it be used around the ocean? Is VG10 not stainless enough? Can Moki work with LC200N?

I would prefer to see something with more edge retention for a hunting knife. We have seen Moki work with ZDP and HAP40. I would probably buy a Moran in Hap40 with an orange handle. I would definitely buy a Moran in 10V or S110V.
You make a great point but I could still love a Moran with LC200N in SE. Because it seems like those Nitrogen based steels do well in full SE. And then have the plain edged couterpart in 10V, M390 or K390 or any other nice steel. I've heard guys say that 10V is a great blade steel for fixed blades several times on this forum and other forums too.

But I do like the idea of taking these older/classic models and improving them. But I still want more fixed blades in full SE and the LC200N would be great for a full SE version of the MORAN.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Considering the shear number of hunting knives made in 1095, O1, A2, etc. I think LC200N would be a big improvement over those, and from what I am reading it should take a nice thin, but stable edge. Hunters would also not need to worry about rust, or rust dulling. Heck, It could be Salt model as well with just a color change. LC200N in Japan might be a non-starter, however.

I guess to get traction these days, it'd have to be Vanax SC or REX 121.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vanax
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:25 pm
Vanax
600$ Moran
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'd rather see one with HAP40 or K390.
--Jeremy
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The goal was a lightweight, affordable GP/hunting knife with incredibly low maintenance requirements. It was not meant as an expensive shelf sitter or safe queen only trotted out for IG flexing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
M.N.O.S.D. 0001