Vivi's M4 Manix XL DLC Corrosion Log

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Vivi's M4 Manix XL DLC Corrosion Log

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 pm
Interesting thread, Vivi...

I perhaps should start a similar one about my (of course uncoated) REX 45 Manix LW - the very first Spyderco I seem to be able to corrode myself, at least a bit :p
(But for that it takes cutting all kinds of food, IWB carry, letting it sit in wet pockets or packs for quite some time and so on..)
I've been watching your Rex45 Manix photos with interest. I've been curious to see how it holds up to your lifestyle. Have you been carrying it IWB on your hikes?

I carried my M4 Manix IWB on some rainy hikes today. Wiped it off good at the summit and cut some apples up, rinsed it off then clipped it back. Here it is prior to any cleaning:

Bit of rust on the bevel near the tip. Maybe I didn't wipe that part of the edge off as well.

:unicorn
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:52 pm

I've been watching your Rex45 Manix photos with interest. I've been curious to see how it holds up to your lifestyle. Have you been carrying it IWB on your hikes?

I carried my M4 Manix IWB on some rainy hikes today. Wiped it off good at the summit and cut some apples up, rinsed it off then clipped it back. Here it is prior to any cleaning:

i have been watching both of yours and reading them completely. i do agree that dlc helps resist corrosion even if it is s small amount.
now we just need someone to test k390 and i would be all set.

thank you gentlemen.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Well, it holds up pretty well! (You may also want to look at this post: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1463797)

- I did carry it IWB several times, but just on shorter runs (but then I did sweat a lot of course), not on longer hikes (there it rides either RFP or in an on-the-go accessible front pocket of my pack)
- In my work life I am a lot "on the road" and often not in a car, but on my bicycle or on foot, still sweat a bit or get wet by rain and snow, and carried the Manix RFP all day (so occasionally even in a wet and damp pants pocket)
- I cut all kinds of stuff with my EDC knife, including food (and that including fruits) and (sometimes wet) wood/branches and so on
- I often don´t bother to thoroughly wipe of the blade, but of course try to do so after cutting food (with any knife, not only the REX 45 Manix)
- I never oiled the blade (just the very pivot area, that is hidden behind the scales)

Though the REX 45 Manix is the first knife I actually CAN corrode (edited to add: I mean the first Spyderco, of course 1095 or O1 fixed blades did corrode in my use)), it is still not severe by any means: A slight patina, some specs, both red and black. Hard to show on pics, if I don´t hold the knife in the right angle under the right light one can´t see any corrosion at all (see pic below, this pretty much is the best I can do to even show corrosion)

Vivi, for me the corroding-blades (or not)-thing remains one of the biggest knife-mysteries out there, especially if you look on the difference between you and me concerning that... :confused:
It must be some complicated combination of differing "body chemistry" and climate one lives in I guess... honestly, for me rusting S30V or VG10 is practically impossible, despite I probably have a pretty similar life style to yours and despite I live in a pretty wet (but not salty) climate with a lot of rain and snow... while on the other hand you´d probably color a REX 45 blade in rusty red in just one day hike when carried IWB, right? :)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks for the break down, Wartstein.

One thing to consider is where I'm at, it's currently 30 degrees F warmer. Latitude is around 34 VS your nearly 48. Furthest North I've lived was around 41.5 with no elevation.

So if I went hiking today it'd be in running shorts and a T shirt or even tank top, while other members are posting knife photos with snow.

One day of summer IWB carry and I can make VG10 look like that.

I didn't have this issue nearly as much up north, but it still happened during active days in the summer. Spotted Leatherman Micras keeping them in my pocket on hikes, spotted a ZDP Endura during a landscaping gig, etc.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:28 am
Thanks for the break down, Wartstein.

One thing to consider is where I'm at, it's currently 30 degrees F warmer. Latitude is around 34 VS your nearly 48. Furthest North I've lived was around 41.5 with no elevation.

So if I went hiking today it'd be in running shorts and a T shirt or even tank top, while other members are posting knife photos with snow.

One day of summer IWB carry and I can make VG10 look like that.

I didn't have this issue nearly as much up north, but it still happened during active days in the summer. Spotted Leatherman Micras keeping them in my pocket on hikes, spotted a ZDP Endura during a landscaping gig, etc.
Don´t want to derail your spefific-M4-thread too much, guess I´ll better start a dedicated kind-of-"the mystery of rusting knives or not" -thread ;)

So just on a quick note: It CAN get pretty hot were I live indeed (quite some summer days with around 30 degree celsius / 86 Fahrenheit), and I still can´t rust steels like S30V or even HAP 40, even when I carry folders IWB...

/ And just cause it happens to fit your highlighted statement so well:
We crazy (silly.. :rolleyes: ) Austrians don´t stop wearing running shorts in the mountains just cause of a little snow... though this does not always end without some scars, especially if the surface of the snow is hard and frozen :D
(pics: Me on a hike last Sunday...;))

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Ouch! Time for some rubbing alcohol. It feels good.
vivi

Post by vivi »

November 11th update.

No new corrosion despite getting caught in a rainstorm today.

For comparison here's my Leatherman Squirt:

Most the other tools show more rust than the blade.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Giving everything a cleaning as I prep for a scale swap. This was the only corrosion I found anywhere on the knife. Three tiny specks on the uncoated tang.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

necropost alert!

vivi, any updates on the dlc m4 experience?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:04 pm
necropost alert!

vivi, any updates on the dlc m4 experience?
nope. it hasn't corroded any more, it's stayed about the same as last update. I still carry it from time to time even though Salts dominate my rotation. It's my favorite Manix I own.