Would like suggestions on Spyderco's to look at next

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tomcatt1

Would like suggestions on Spyderco's to look at next

Post by tomcatt1 »

I have a SpydieChef that lives in my right front pocket. I also have a Shaman that lives in my left rear pocket.

I bought a Smock after I got the Chef. It stays on my desk, it's a great fidget knife, but it didn't run the SpydieChef out of my pocket. The guy I bought the Chef from warned me that it may be one of the best EDC knives out there, and I tend to agree with him on that.

I bought a Kapara, and it just wasn't for me, shipping it to a friend that wanted it. It was great, very smooth action right out of the box, just didn't feel like a knife I would use, and I've made that a rule, it has to be a knife I will use.

I have had Sypderco's for years. My first one was what I believe to be a Pro-Hunter with the Zytel handle. I added a Seki CIty Meerkat sometime along the way, but not a big fan of small knives. I also added a Tenacious with the black combo blade. I determined that I wasn't a fan of either the black blades or the combo edge. I did add another Tenacious with the plain edge.

THEN, the knife bug bit me again. I slowly started looking at higher end knives, bought a Benchmade Griptilian with the 'spidey hole'. Wasn't a fan. SO, back to Spydercos and the list I started this thread with.

I'm wondering if there is someone out there with similar tastes in knives that can throw me a suggestion or two. I love the Ti framelock, but I'm not going to limit myself there. I have the Shaman, so the PM2 really isn't an interesting piece for me. (Please do not string me up for saying that!)

OK, so that's that. plus a little introduction of me, since I believe this is my 2nd or 3rd post on here :)

Thanks!
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
Cycletroll

Re: Would like suggestions on Spyderco's to look at next

Post by Cycletroll »

I think you might really appreciate a Military.
If you can find a CF/ Ti s90v variant then you will have my favorite EDC.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

G10 Manix sounds like a good fit. Not a huge knife, but definitely not a small knife. A different kind of lock, with a similar feel to the axis lock from Benchmade that you are already familiar with. The cbbl is a rare find on Spyderco's. Also, you can get a Manix in some of the same premium steels as other knives from the Golden lineup, but they are always cheaper than an offering from a similar sized PM2.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:59 am
Yeah get a C-36 Military model with one of the Supersteels. I've been EDCing my M390 Military for about 4 years now and it's still my "prime time EDC". Oh I'm sure some day I'll work my way up to another C-36 Military with another supersteel at some point. But I'll never get rid of my M390 Military model ever. We've just been through too much together :cool:

Now if blade length is a problem depending on where you live you could ratchet down to the Para2 model which is also available in several of the Supersteels as well. Let us know what you decide.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome to the forum tomcat! How about a SE Caribbean in LC200N or the upcoming Pacific Salt 2 in same steel? Do you have any objections to fixed blades? MuleTeam #28 is coming up soon.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:07 am
G10 Manix sounds like a good fit. Not a huge knife, but definitely not a small knife. A different kind of lock, with a similar feel to the axis lock from Benchmade that you are already familiar with. The cbbl is a rare find on Spyderco's. Also, you can get a Manix in some of the same premium steels as other knives from the Golden lineup, but they are always cheaper than an offering from a similar sized PM2.
This is probably the best option. It's roughly the same length as the Chef and Shaman. Compared to the Shaman, the handle isn't so different. Sure, it's less contoured, less flowing, thinner, and has a fair bit of jimping, but the feel isn't as different as people might think.

I don't own a Chef, so I cant draw comparisons to it (other than measurements).
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

If you like the ti framelocks, have you seen the new Swayback? I haven't held one myself, but they sure are pretty. And it's designed by the same man who designed the Spydiechef.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:18 am
If you like the ti framelocks, have you seen the new Swayback? I haven't held one myself, but they sure are pretty. And it's designed by the same man who designed the Spydiechef.
How dare you try to sway someone another direction from our beloved Manix!! :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Everybody needs a PM2 and/or a Manix.

But indeed, the CF/Ti military is unique and special if you are focused on framelocks and can track one down.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Manix 2 xl. A perfect companion to a Shaman!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:23 am
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:18 am
How dare you try to sway someone another direction from our beloved Manix!! :p
Can you ever forgive my heresy??!! Obviously I'd pick a Manix first! If the OP needs any indication of my personal preferences: I own 5 g10 Manixes, but 0 Swaybacks! ;) ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
vivi

Post by vivi »

You have a very well rounded collection so far.

I'll echo the others in suggesting you look at the Manix line. The regular Manix is a bit smaller than the Shaman but very close in size. The XL, which I personally prefer, has a little more cutting edge and a more secure grip because of the pinky hook.

My favorite folder is the Police 4 Lightweight. It's very slim and light while offering a very long, slender blade. I think anyone that enjoys a larger folder will appreciate one.

If you like fixed blades I'd check out the Waterway and Street Beat. The Waterway is a nice rust proof design and the Street Beat is a little lighter and more compact, making it nice for daily carry and use.
:unicorn
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Seems like you like larger knives. Have you tried the native chief? If the base s30v/g10 doesn't interest you, the upcoming s90v carbon fiber Sprint might.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Native chief
Military
Manix
Caribbean
Siren
Police 4 lightweight
Endura 4
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Canis
Sliverax
Drunken
Gayle Bradley
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Vivi's suggestion of a Manix XL is a good one. There are still (depending on your budget) BladeHQ Exclusives (M4 steel) available readily. Makes a super hard use secure beast of a knife!
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:59 am
Thanks for the suggestion. I tend to think the Millie has a thin tip, afraid I'd break it, though I don't generally do any 'hard use' with a knife, and certainly would not be using it to pry with, unless it's an emergency!
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:07 am
I did have the Manix on my list at one time, not sure why I let it slip off.

According to my tally, the Manix, in some variation, was the most suggested knife for me. I will definitely be looking out for one.
Tommy

tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

Thanks for that one! It is a Spyderco I was not aware of and it really looks like a nice one.
Tommy