Would like suggestions on Spyderco's to look at next

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tomcatt1

Re: Would like suggestions on Spyderco's to look at next

Post by tomcatt1 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:43 am
Welcome to the forum tomcat! How about a SE Caribbean in LC200N or the upcoming Pacific Salt 2 in same steel? Do you have any objections to fixed blades? MuleTeam #28 is coming up soon.
I had noticed the Caribbean, and really like the blade shape, but I haven't got past the scales yet. I have not seen one in person, so perhaps it's different than the pictures I've seen, but I'm not sure. As I look around at the knives I have, most are black or tan scales, except for the Chef of course.
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:25 am
Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:59 am
I think you might really appreciate a Military.
If you can find a CF/ Ti s90v variant then you will have my favorite EDC.
Yeah get a C-36 Military model with one of the Supersteels. I've been EDCing my M390 Military for about 4 years now and it's still my "prime time EDC". Oh I'm sure some day I'll work my way up to another C-36 Military with another supersteel at some point. But I'll never get rid of my M390 Military model ever. We've just been through too much together :cool:

Now if blade length is a problem depending on where you live you could ratchet down to the Para2 model which is also available in several of the Supersteels as well. Let us know what you decide.
Blade length isn't an issue. I live in South Carolina and most places it's not an issue. The State laws are ok, just 2 or 3 cities that like to be more restrictive.
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:18 am
If you like the ti framelocks, have you seen the new Swayback? I haven't held one myself, but they sure are pretty. And it's designed by the same man who designed the Spydiechef.
I have seen the Swayback, but I'm not sure on that one yet. Funny coming from a guy who likes the SpydieChef, I know. :) But the blade looks like it's sharpened on the wrong side, at least to me. I'd probably have to hold one to get a good idea as to whether it would work for me or not.
Tommy

tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:54 pm
You have a very well rounded collection so far.

I'll echo the others in suggesting you look at the Manix line. The regular Manix is a bit smaller than the Shaman but very close in size. The XL, which I personally prefer, has a little more cutting edge and a more secure grip because of the pinky hook.

My favorite folder is the Police 4 Lightweight. It's very slim and light while offering a very long, slender blade. I think anyone that enjoys a larger folder will appreciate one.

If you like fixed blades I'd check out the Waterway and Street Beat. The Waterway is a nice rust proof design and the Street Beat is a little lighter and more compact, making it nice for daily carry and use.
I meant to address the fixed blade question that someone else posed earlier. I have a few fixed blades, though none Spyderco, and can't see myself regularly carrying one for EDC.

I'm definitely going to have to look at the Manix :)
Tommy

embry386

Post by embry386 »

Looks like you enjoy larger knives with broader blades. In that case, everyone's suggestion of the Manix XL is probably a good one, although I can't speak to it myself because the handle ergonomics just don't mesh with my smaller hands.

The Amalgam is an excellent knife with a cool backstory, and is one of my personal favorites. It might be a bit too similar to the Shaman for your tastes, but the flat grind is a nice upgrade (IMO) and I find the less pointy blade more useful, and the overall shape more pleasing.

If you're open to trying fully serrated blades, take a look at the Rescue, the Atlantic Salt, and the Autonomy 1. They're sheepsfoot knives, which you also might like, because you enjoy the Chef. And a good fully serrated knife is perfect for a lot of "hard use" tasks involving fibrous or tough materials -- rope, zip ties, plastic or rubbery materials (like tires or the soles of shoes), carpeting, weeding/yardwork, etc. I've got an old Rescue that's similar to the modern Atlantic Salt, and it's super useful.

If you don't care about pointy vs. broad blades and you just want to go big, the Police is a big knife that's great at slicing through cardboard because it's flat-ground and super thin, got that nice distal taper. I've heard good things about the Military but have no experience with it, my impression is that it's a beefed-up Police.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:08 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:23 am
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:18 am
If you like the ti framelocks, have you seen the new Swayback? I haven't held one myself, but they sure are pretty. And it's designed by the same man who designed the Spydiechef.
How dare you try to sway someone another direction from our beloved Manix!! :p
Can you ever forgive my heresy??!! Obviously I'd pick a Manix first! If the OP needs any indication of my personal preferences: I own 5 g10 Manixes, but 0 Swaybacks! ;) ;)
Where's the "like" button when I need it? I agree with this. The Manix rocks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:40 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Welcome to the forum tomcat! How about a SE Caribbean in LC200N or the upcoming Pacific Salt 2 in same steel? Do you have any objections to fixed blades? MuleTeam #28 is coming up soon.
I had noticed the Caribbean, and really like the blade shape, but I haven't got past the scales yet. I have not seen one in person, so perhaps it's different than the pictures I've seen, but I'm not sure. As I look around at the knives I have, most are black or tan scales, except for the Chef of course.
Rit Dye (around $2) may be a rout you could take, but you may have aversions to modifying a new knife.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:06 pm
Seems like you like larger knives. Have you tried the native chief? If the base s30v/g10 doesn't interest you, the upcoming s90v carbon fiber Sprint might.
The Native Chief is at the lower end of my desired blade length. I tend to prefer 3.25 - 3.75. Also the backlock isn't my favorite. I only have my very old Pro-Hunter as a comparison though. I love the button compression lock on my Smock. I'm getting used to the compression lock on the Shaman, slowly building the necessary callous on my right forefinger. :)
I do like the design of the Native Chief though.
Tommy

tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:57 am
tomcatt1 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:40 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Rit Dye (around $2) may be a rout you could take, but you may have aversions to modifying a new knife.
Rit dye is something I just recently learned about when I started exploring after the knife bug bit again. I do think this is something I'd like to try, so you are correct, that is one way to change scale colors that we aren't crazy about :)
Tommy

tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:45 pm
Canis
Sliverax
Drunken
Gayle Bradley
The Canis is interesting. The Silverax has an interesting handle design, I'd like to try that one some time. The Drunken is a tad more than I wanna pay right now. I did research the GB, but don't think that one is for me.

I appreciate all the suggestions that everyone is giving!
Tommy

FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Manix 2/Manix 2 XL
Caribbean
Gayle Bradley 2
Military
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:41 am
[/quote]

Rit dye is something I just recently learned about when I started exploring after the knife bug bit again. I do think this is something I'd like to try, so you are correct, that is one way to change scale colors that we aren't crazy about :)
[/quote]

Have a look at what David aka Evil D did to his Caribbean! His is blacked out as well.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85045
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:16 am
tomcatt1 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:41 am
[/quote]

Have a look at what David aka Evil D did to his Caribbean! His is blacked out as well.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85045
[/quote]

Oh, I saw his escapades (and noticed the scales) after I said something about the Caribbean scales. His looks really neat, and a very interesting thread as well :)
Tommy

tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

So, I did a thing. Found a Manix 2 in Rex45 and it's on the way to me. I also remembered why I may have taken the Manix off my list. Apparently some are riveted and some have screws? Not sure on that one, but some of the pictures I have seen appear that way.

Nonethless, I have the old Pro-Grip (Venator/Hunter, whatever it is) and the Meerkat, and they both still work fine after all these years.

I'll try and update when it arrives to let y'all know what i think. Thanks again to everyone who responded to this thread. Just because I chose to get the Manix first doesn't mean I won't look at the others!
Tommy

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:21 pm
So, I did a thing. Found a Manix 2 in Rex45 and it's on the way to me. I also remembered why I may have taken the Manix off my list. Apparently some are riveted and some have screws? Not sure on that one, but some of the pictures I have seen appear that way.

Nonethless, I have the old Pro-Grip (Venator/Hunter, whatever it is) and the Meerkat, and they both still work fine after all these years.

I'll try and update when it arrives to let y'all know what i think. Thanks again to everyone who responded to this thread. Just because I chose to get the Manix first doesn't mean I won't look at the others!
Great choice!
The Lightweight, FRCP handled Manix's are riveted or pinned. The G-10 models are screwed.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:30 pm
tomcatt1 wrote:

Great choice!
The Lightweight, FRCP handled Manix's are riveted or pinned. The G-10 models are screwed.
An additional nuance as I understand... the earliest M2 LWs also had riveted pivots. This had a fairly early CQI to a screwed pivot. Currently it has a 2-screw pivot. Not sure if they ever used a 1 screw pivot.
vivi

Post by vivi »

tomcatt1 wrote:

Very nice choice.
:unicorn
kobold

Post by kobold »

I also liked the Chef, so i bought the Swayback. The Gayle Bradley is also great. Others i have and like: Caribbean SE, Para 3 Maxamet, PM2, a Sage, and a few Natives and Chaparrals. I placed an order for a Shaman and two Millies as well. But beyond that I am not sure what else would i need, except maybe a Native Chief in Rex45 and the CBN stone.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

The Manix 2 LW Rex45 arrived today. I like it. I'm not sure I like it enough for it to replace the SpydieChef in my right front pocket, but it may alternate with the Shaman for left back left pocket.

It appears to be very new, so not broken in good yet. Almost drop shut with the Ball Bearing Lock, which I agree, is very similar to the BM Axis lock, and I rather like. Deployment is very smooth and snappy.

This is my first blade of Rex45. I understand it will stain and I should keep it clean and oiled. Recommendations for an oil, or will my Diawa Reel Oil sufice?

I do wish it had the deep carry wire clip. I did some research and it looks like the wire clip off the Foundry fits. Is that still the consensus?

Thanks again for the suggestions. I think this one is a good fit. Now to begin the search for the next one, after I get some more funds.... :)
Tommy

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:50 pm
The Manix 2 LW Rex45 arrived today. I like it. I'm not sure I like it enough for it to replace the SpydieChef in my right front pocket, but it may alternate with the Shaman for left back left pocket.

It appears to be very new, so not broken in good yet. Almost drop shut with the Ball Bearing Lock, which I agree, is very similar to the BM Axis lock, and I rather like. Deployment is very smooth and snappy.

This is my first blade of Rex45. I understand it will stain and I should keep it clean and oiled. Recommendations for an oil, or will my Diawa Reel Oil sufice?

I do wish it had the deep carry wire clip. I did some research and it looks like the wire clip off the Foundry fits. Is that still the consensus?

Thanks again for the suggestions. I think this one is a good fit. Now to begin the search for the next one, after I get some more funds.... :)
Lynch also makes a deep carry clip that fits the Manix lightweight.
https://www.lynchnw.com/clips/spyderco- ... ement-clip

I use a very light coat of mineral oil on my blades.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.