Jimping poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Jimping preference poll

Jimping
67%
No jimping
12%
No preference
21%

Total votes: 85

araneae

Jimping poll

Post by araneae »

Another one to see where this shakes out. What do you prefer?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Re: Jimping poll

Post by Evil D »

I think if I had to choose I'd rather it was there, because like other features we've debated recently I can easily smooth them down a little if I find they're too aggressive, but adding them myself is more difficult.

Honestly though this whole thing (along with the Boye dent) could not be lower on my priority list for choosing a knife. I'd sooner be concerned about scale color than either of these because neither one really has a big impact on my uses. Jimping is something I had spent my entire life without and had never even thought of before buying my first Spyderco and I got by pretty ok without it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:05 am
I think if I had to choose I'd rather it was there, because like other features we've debated recently I can easily smooth them down a little if I find they're too aggressive, but adding them myself is more difficult.

Honestly though this whole thing (along with the Boye dent) could not be lower on my priority list for choosing a knife. I'd sooner be concerned about scale color than either of these because neither one really has a big impact on my uses. Jimping is something I had spent my entire life without and had never even thought of before buying my first Spyderco and I got by pretty ok without it.
I guess I run opposite to you on this. I find that Spyderco does jimping better than anyone. There are so many companies that add it in the wrong place, or make it overly aggressive, or just barely there or just in a completely useless location. Spyderco jimping has the perfect amount of grip, it doesn't tear up your thumb and it increases traction and safety in use. It has been refined and is always thoughtfully done. It's basically perfect IMO. When it isn't there, especially on a work knife, I miss it. I use my work knives outdoors, in the dirt, mud, in and around streams, in winter and rain; I'll take any extra grip I can get to be certain I have that knife locked into my hand. I also have sweaty hands so even in optimal conditions, I like the extra security.

On a piece of pocket jewelry or something like a Bug knife, I can see skipping it. For me, no one does jimping better than Spyderco, so for it to not be there, the knife is missing a great finishing touch that Spyderco has mastered.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:16 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:05 am

I guess I run opposite to you on this. I find that Spyderco does jimping better than anyone. There are so many companies that add it in the wrong place, or make it overly aggressive, or just barely there or just in a completely useless location. Spyderco jimping has the perfect amount of grip, it doesn't tear up your thumb and it increases traction and safety in use. It has been refined and is always thoughtfully done. It's basically perfect IMO. When it isn't there, especially on a work knife, I miss it. I use my work knives outdoors, in the dirt, mud, in and around streams, in winter and rain; I'll take any extra grip I can get to be certain I have that knife locked into my hand. I also have sweaty hands so even in optimal conditions, I like the extra security.

On a piece of pocket jewelry or something like a Bug knife, I can see skipping it. For me, no one does jimping better than Spyderco, so for it to not be there, the knife is missing a great finishing touch that Spyderco has mastered.

Well yes and no...I did vote yes in the poll and I'd rather have it than not have it, I'm just saying not having it isn't going to stop me from buying a knife if all the other boxes are checked for me. It's a detail I'm more willing to compromise on than things like handle grip points not fitting my fingers, grip being too far from the edge or strongly upswept blades with too much belly. I also sorta believe that the perfect grip design may not need jimping at all if it's design locks your hand in place, so for example a Kiwi 4 isn't going to benefit much by adding jimping.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Just like my undying passion for the Boye Dent on my Seki backlocks, jimping is also a must. It can absolutely be a deal breaker for me. The Rock Jumper is a great example. I don't have a Delica Wharnie at the moment, and I would probably choose the Rock Jumper over a Delica Wharnie based on the handle, but the lack of jimping and lack of a boye dent are a deal breaker for me so I will end up getting a Delica Wharnie. If the Rock Jumper has jimping and a boye dent I would 100% buy it, regardless of the handle color. It could be the ugliest shade of green, brown, yellow, whatever. Color for me will never be a deal breaker if I like everything else.

The Lil Native, Spyderhawk, Spyopera, and Worker are 4 models that I have owned and ended up selling, and all of them I felt needed jimping. I definitely think Sal and Eric should include jimping on the upcoming Lil Native LW, and well as any new Spyderhawk and Worker knives. The SpyOpera I get being a gentlemans knife, but I buy my knives to use so jimping is a must for me. The Chap is also a gentlemans knife and has spine and choil jimping, so I don't think is needs to be left off just because it is a gentlemen's knife either.

I have a couple of fixies from BRK and LT Wright that I am probably going to send in to have jimping added. I wish Spyderco would offer this service for knives like the Spyderhawk.

Here is my collection of users after my recent purge. ALL have great jimping. I doubt I will buy another knife without it.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I tend toward liking it if it is done well (grippy but not uncomfortable), but it really doesn't matter that much to me. I've found that I don't like the way BRKT does it on their fixed blades so in this case it is a deal killer. I don't have any Spydercos I find objectionable. My vote went no preference.

CG
Last edited by cycleguy on Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It depends on the knife. On some I like it and on others I don’t. It also needs to be done right. I definitely do not like the excessive jimping on the Manix.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted "no preference" because it's never been a deal maker or deal breaker either one for me. Now I do own quite a few Spyderco ( and other brands) knives that have jimping. But there are not all that many cutting jobs I've had where I thought that "jimping" was necessary.

Oh they can help with some cutting jobs I won't argue that for a second. I find that the grip factor on the handle itself has given me more help than most any jimping ever did.

But I'm finding this a very interesting thread and I hope to learn more from it.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:46 am
I definitely do not like the excessive jimping on the Manix.
This. I've never quite been able to put into words why the Manix just doesn't do it for me (don't get me wrong, it's a cool knife, just not for me), but you've made me realize this is one reason.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:46 am
It depends on the knife. On some I like it and on others I don’t. It also needs to be done right. I definitely do not like the excessive jimping on the Manix.

Agreed. Depends on the knife, the style of jimping, and its placement. For me, that means the style on right, placed only on the thumb ramp (and perhaps in the blade portion of a 50/50 choil on knives that have them), and only on a knife with a distinct thumb ramp.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It depends on the model for me as well but I would generally prefer no jimping.

The Lil Native is one model where no jimping really excels, in my opinion.
-Nick :bug-red
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Voted no preference.. as others have mentioned, it largely depends on the model for me. I think jimping can really assist in getting a good purchase on some knives and prefer it in certain models, especially small knives like the Manbug or DF2. On other more hand-filling knives and especially ergonomic designs (Manix 2), a little bit is fine, but excess jimping almost seems redundant.

The lack of jimping on the Rockjumper seems to be causing some controversy.. with regard to that particular model, I feel that the neutral handle fits my hand so well that jimping on the blade is entirely unnecessary. I probably wouldn't be upset if it was added to the blade somewhere down the line, but what jimping exists on the handle itself is sufficient, imo.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I voted no preference on this one too

I used to be firmly in the jimping camp. I now have a few Spyderco models and several from other brands that don't have any jimping. I don't miss at all on those models. In fact, I kind of like the smooth feel, especially on the spine when it's crowned. I like the clean look too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I voted no preference, but - as The Deacon and bearfacedkiller have already written - it's really dependent on the model, the style of jimping, and where it is on the knife.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I for one dislike jimping all together and prefer smooth everything. My hardest use knife is the Province and I’ve never wished there was jimping. I would love a jimpless Manix 2 and PM2.

IMO, Great ergos don’t need jimping!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Love the jimping! Feels just right on the Para and PM2, one of the best features.
Im pimpin for Spyderco jimpin.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:38 am
I for one dislike jimping all together and prefer smooth everything. My hardest use knife is the Province and I’ve never wished there was jimping. I would love a jimpless Manix 2 and PM2.

IMO, Great ergos don’t need jimping!
Dremel tool?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't care strongly either way. I've never had issues with my thumb slipping on knives with no jimping, even if they have no thumb ramp like the Siren.
:unicorn
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I like it, but if it's not there, it is presumably not needed. See: Siren, Rock Jumper, Rock Lobster, Nilakka and Lil Nilakka, Rhino.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Me like jimping.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."