Jimping poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Jimping preference poll

Jimping
67%
No jimping
12%
No preference
21%

Total votes: 85

JRinFL

Re: Jimping poll

Post by JRinFL »

No preference. Like others, it depends on the knife, location, type, and expected use for the knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i wouldn't not buy the rockjumper or lil native over the lack of jimping, but i consider it on the list of negatives for me on both models.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I like jimping, aggressive or soft. Traction is traction

But, not having it isn't a dealbreaker.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

When jumping is concerned, I generally prefer having it. That being said, designs that do not utilize it such as the Catcherman or Caly Jr don't feel like they are missing it when I put them to use.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, actually when it comes to Spydercos I did not own and don´t have a lot of experience with knives that do NOT offer any jimping - in a trice I can just recall the Kapara. And yes,on that particular model and in my use I would have liked to have some jimping.
But then, the Kapara is - though feeling very nice in hand - generally not a knife that feels also overly secure in hand when conditions get wet and muddy, and fingers get cold. Not a strong point of the very smooth/slick and narrow cf handle, the minimal guard and the just shallow choil.

I most likely would not need jimping on a knife like the biderectional textured FRN Endura (given that I don´t use the thumb ramp often anyway), but it does not bother me at all either.

The Manix got mentioned here already: I have a lot of experience with now three lightweight models but admittedly just could HANDLE, but never really use G10 variants. That being said: The Lightweight feels perfectly secure in hand in any condition (snow, rain, mud, sweat, cold...) and it has jimping both on the ramp and in the choil (and a bit on the back of the FRCP handle) anyway.
I don´t see how one would need the excessive jimping on the G10 version. But again, since I never actually owned a G10 Manix, there might be some value in that high amount of jimping that can just be experienced in real use
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I do own a Manix2 in G-10, and I found the "jimping" on the handle so obnoxious that I took a belt sander to it. Those teeth sticking out everywhere are the sole reason I never purchased the Manix XL, and never will.

A little jimping, in the proper places, can be a good feature, but I don't recall a single instance where it saved me from injury or from losing control of a knife. In all the times I have lost control of knives, I don't recall a single instance where jimping would have prevented it from happening.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Also looking overwhelmingly in favor of pro jimping or no preference.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:34 am
Well, I do own a Manix2 in G-10, and I found the "jimping" on the handle so obnoxious that I took a belt sander to it. Those teeth sticking out everywhere are the sole reason I never purchased the Manix XL, and never will.

A little jimping, in the proper places, can be a good feature, but I don't recall a single instance where it saved me from injury or from losing control of a knife. In all the times I have lost control of knives, I don't recall a single instance where jimping would have prevented it from happening.
Can't sayI'm a fan either. Sold my first XL for that reason. The handle jimping is a little softer feeling on DLC versions.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Araneae,

Thanx for the polls.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I voted “no preference”, it being the closest to “it depends”.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now I'm going to backtrack just a bit. I was sharpening one of my TEMPERANCE 1 models and I will say that I do like the Jimping on that particular model. And I tend to like it better on fixed blades that I do on folders for the most part.

It just depends on the overall blade design and how the handle is situated. I do feel a little more confident with jimping on fixed bladed models.
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:49 pm
Hi Araneae,

Thanx for the polls.

sal
You're very welcome Sal.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I've never seen a pole with jimping.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I will say I tend to be more against jimping in fixed blades despite being pretty neutral on folders. FB's tend to be used harder and with more force, ans jimping can cause hot spots pretty quickly.

Same story with scale texture really. I like the bi-directional FRN on an EDC folder but not so much on my fixed blades. I'd rather have micarta, or even smoother FRN like my Street Beat.

While the Waterway and Aqua Salt are two of my favorite Spyderco fixed blades, its in spite of their handle texture.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting reasons for and against jimping. From a designers point of view, it's valuable information. I believe that "ideas" can evolve like natural things. I'm pretty Hegelian in; Thesis, antithesis, synthesis. So I always try to find the optimal solution to the problem at the time.

sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

Not a deal breaker for me either way. I generally prefer it, but I like some knives without it, like my SS Police models, for example.

Jim
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I prefer jimping. In fact all my users in EDC rotation have it. After 20+ years carrrying Spyders I'm kinda use to it.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i do like jimping quite a bit and have asked for it on a few knives like the lil native. do i think they can go overboard yes (think manix 2) but do i think they need some instead of none yes. the perfect amount of jimping would be the chap, soft and only where needed.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9