Boye dent poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Boye preference

Boye dent
54%
No dent
12%
No preference
34%

Total votes: 128

araneae

Boye dent poll

Post by araneae »

Just curious since it's been coming up lately. What do you prefer?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Re: Boye dent poll

Post by Evil D »

I gotta say I'm no preference on this one. I like aspects of both having and not having it.

How about we put some jimping on the lock bar for indexing? I just feel for the lock well in the back of the handle so indexing hasn't been an issue even with gloves on.
Last edited by Evil D on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I prefer it, but can live without it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t pay much attention. I am sure that on some of my knives I cannot even remember if they have one or not.

That said, last I knew it added cost to the knife due to added production costs and a small royalty to Boye. If it adds $5 to the cost of the knife then my vote would be a no since I don’t really care if it is there anyway.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

For me it is a must, especially on the Seki knives. I won't repeat everything I said in the Boye Dent thread (linked below), but the lack of a dent on the Police LW and Rock Jumper have left them out of my collection. If they CQI them back in to these models along with jimping on the RJ, I will pick them up in a hearbeat.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87760
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

No preference here
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

No preference. I transition from the boye dent Pacific 2 to the Police 4 with no dent without a second thought.

I'm surprised there are people that won't buy models that lack boye dents, considering how easy they are to add. Takes less time than reprofiling the edge or taking the knife a part to polish the pivot, two commonly done mods to new knives.
Last edited by vivi on Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

No preference either, judging from all backlocks I had so far. Though I had many more WITH the dent and - I think - just two without (Native 5 LW and Chap FRN), but on those two I do/did not even really notice the lack of the dent.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Another no preference vote here.

I like the Boye dent aesthetically.. I do think they look cool. It would also make sense from a logical standpoint that they may be slightly safer than back-locks without dents. That said, I can't think of a single non-Boye back-lock SPYDERCO knife that I've felt unsafe using.. ultimately, I don't think they are necessary from a safety standpoint. In use, I find dent vs no-dent equally easy to operate. Overall, I just don't feel that the Boye dent offers a distinct functional advantage over no-dent.. thus the no preference vote..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted for the "Boye Dent". I've got so many folders with it and the backlocks that have a Boye Dent seem to work really well.

I'm all for any type of safety devices and features. And the "Boye Dent" does indeed seem to live up to it's billing.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pro Dent! I used to be a no-preference guy, but after buying a Siren I am firmly in the pro dent group. I’m disappointed to see form over function poking its nose under the Spyderco tent.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:03 am
No preference. I transition from the boye dent Pacific 2 to the Police 4 with no dent without a second thought.

I'm surprised there are people that won't buy models that lack boye dents, considering how easy they are to add. Takes less time than reprofiling the edge or taking the knife a part to polish the pivot, two commonly done mods to new knives.
It would void the warranty and likely reduce resell value. Not that I’ve ever sold a knife, but it could happen...nah.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I prefer the dent but it's not a deal breaker.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I like it. It's a nice feature.
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:03 am

Depends on the knife. I added a small one to my Siren, due to the concerns discussed above. Good thing I checked by reassembling before going any further. The tiny dent I put in "bottoms out" on the back of the handle, only allowing the lock to disengage by the tiniest little bit. Like thousanths. And the lock bar still gets partially depressed during use. Adding a full size dent would make the knife unusable.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I voted no preference. And I guess that is the truth. I'll take whatever the knife designer thinks is right.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm a no preference and it is probably one of the last features I observe when handling a new knife.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Not being a knife fighter, the dent has always struck me as an answer looking for a problem. I'd rather let those that want one add their own than fob it off on those who find it as pointless as I do.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I like the Boye dent. Comparing knives with them to those without them, like the Chap and P4, the dented Seki knives are more comfortable to release and intuitively find the lock when not looking at the knife. Also, they seem better to operate with gloves on.

For me it’s more about the indexing point and comfort of lock release, rather than being concerned about accidental unlocking while gripping the knife tightly.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Interesting results so far which would lean towards having the dent.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal