FRN/Lightweights: I just can’t get into them

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: FRN/Lightweights: I just can’t get into them

Post by Sharp Guy »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm
...is there a suggested method for getting the Rex45 one to close more like the G10 one?
Loosen the pivot a touch. It usually doesn't take much. Maybe a 1/8 of a turn, 1/4 turn max. Just don't loosen it so much you end up with blade play
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

I can take the pivot screws out and it still won't drop shut :)

If the Rex45 had screws instead of pins, I know what I'd do, I've tightened the pivot screws back up and loosened just a bit, just before blade play starts. Blew out with compressed air and oiled again. Hopefully it will loosen. The G10 is super smooth, the Rex45 takes a little flick to get started and then still sometimes doesn't seem to want to fully close without help. Seems like the ball may be keeping more pressure on the Rex one, and not on the G10, just how it seems to me .....
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Even with the pivot screws removed, it likely isnt dropping shut because of the pinned screws above it just behind the jimping on the blade (drawing a major brain fart as to what those are) are keeping it held tight. Over time, it will loosen up. I had a LW model once...but now have (5) G10 models, if that tells you anything on my own preferences for the Manix.

I've dismantled and scale swapped every Manix I have, I'm willing to bet it's those screws/pins that are the issue with getting it dialed in. In the G10 models, those screws sometimes effect the action more than the pivot screws if they are too tight, in my experience when putting it back together after a scale or blade/hardware swap. The LW model is just...eehhhhhh, no tinkering makes TKO a dull boy :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:56 pm
Even with the pivot screws removed, it likely isnt dropping shut because of the pinned screws above it just behind the jimping on the blade (drawing a major brain fart as to what those are) are keeping it held tight. Over time, it will loosen up. I had a LW model once...but now have (5) G10 models, if that tells you anything on my own preferences for the Manix.

I've dismantled and scale swapped every Manix I have, I'm willing to bet it's those screws/pins that are the issue with getting it dialed in. In the G10 models, those screws sometimes effect the action more than the pivot screws if they are too tight, in my experience when putting it back together after a scale or blade/hardware swap. The LW model is just...eehhhhhh, no tinkering makes TKO a dull boy :p
That makes a lot of sense. I do like the action on the G10 (seems like a pocket shredder though), but I like the weight reduction on the LW, and it's Rex45, which is supposed to be good, not that S30V isn't good as well :) . I just haven't used the Rex45 enough to tell. I did find a tiny chip close to the tip, which I sharpened out.

I've learned a lot about these knifes in the past few months, since the bug bit again, but know I have lots more to learn.
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 pm

If the Rex45 had screws instead of pins, I know what I'd do, I've tightened the pivot screws back up and loosened just a bit, just before blade play starts. Blew out with compressed air and oiled again. Hopefully it will loosen. The G10 is super smooth, the Rex45 takes a little flick to get started and then still sometimes doesn't seem to want to fully close without help. Seems like the ball may be keeping more pressure on the Rex one, and not on the G10, just how it seems to me .....
Yep, I had this issue with the s90v lightweight. And with the pinned construction you can't do much to change it. It's not ideal, imo. But I will say the action on mine improved a lot with use - I think everything loosens up and breaks in. But this is definitely one reason I prefer the g10 Manix.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
kobold

Post by kobold »

What I think about pinned folders is that "If you can't fix it, you don't really own it".
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The find the lightweight FRN models to be very functional and durable. They make good work knives. For EDC though I agree with the OP, and I prefer Ti or CF or G10.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’m quite the opposite, it seems I can’t get out of them! :p I feel like I’m always looking at getting a nice blacked out G10 Manix or a G10 Native, but then as I ponder I realize the G10 won’t do anything the FRN can’t, and if I buy the FRN, I’ll have more money left over for more knives! In addition to being less expensive, they are lighter and usually more visually interesting with the FRN texture, so I’ve pretty much resigned myself to an eternity of FRN if it’s an option, it’s everything I need in my daily life.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
archangel

Post by archangel »

mad german wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:20 am
Hi guys,
I picked up a Para 3 lightweight the other day. After getting home and really looking at the knife and playing with it a bit, I had to return it. I just can’t get into the FRN models.

Is there anyone else who feels the same? I love all my Spydies (G10 and CF scales), and really wanted to like the lightweight Para 3, but it seemed like an “imposter” of the “real deal” Para 3.

Just curious if I’m the odd man out in this train of thought.

Cheers!
MG

Nono, don‘t worry, I‘m 100% with you. I take G10 or CF or best Titanium over FRN LW wherever possible. I don‘t get the hype for super slim and lightweight knives at all. I‘m a big guy, I can carry some extra weight in my pocket no problem.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I had a general bias against both FRN and lockbacks for a long while. Not a heavy bias, but in general I’d be more likely to dig slab construction—whether G10, CF, or titanium—and compression locks.

But the Rockjumper has supplanted the PM2 as my favorite Spydie over the past few days. So it’s important not to let one’s general proclivities harden into rules.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm
I have 2 Manix 2's, one in G10, which I just got, and the other is a Rex45 LW, I've had it for a few weeks and have used it a bit. The thing I noticed is that the G10 falls shut when the lock is released, the Rex45 one, not so much even after a few weeks of use.

Is that inherent to the different knives, or is there a suggested method for getting the Rex45 one to close more like the G10 one?
No, it is certainly not "inherent"
I am not a Manix-expert by any means, but have/had three LW models so far and handled two (or three?) G10 variants.
Out of those both (all three?) G10 models did fall shut, but the smoothest and most drop-shutty is my Rex 45 Manix LW right out of the box, without adjusting anything and still no bladeplay at all.
My previous BD1 LW was almost as good, my current BD1N LW is the stiffest and does not fall shut (this does not bother me at all and so I never even tried to adjust it)

Though reading through the forum and watching reviews, there seem to be a lot of variation concerning "drop shuttyness" among the lightweights (but as far as I saw not so much among the G10 versions)

But again, a LW CAN be buttersmooth out of the box (like two out of three of mine), so a stiffer action can´t be a 100% consequence of the construction.
Here is a vid comparing the G10 and the LW, this guy actually prefers the LW partly because of the smoother action it has... (see at around 08:00) https://youtu.be/vFL6MHQw4xw
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:49 pm
tomcatt1 wrote:

Yep, I had this issue with the s90v lightweight. And with the pinned construction you can't do much to change it. It's not ideal, imo. But I will say the action on mine improved a lot with use - I think everything loosens up and breaks in. But this is definitely one reason I prefer the g10 Manix.
How is your REX 45 LW in that regard? As said in my post above (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87769&start=60#p1463418) mine was butter smooth right out of the box.

But actually, through yours and Ricks post here, I can see that pinned construction can be a real disadvantage indeed: So ordering a Manix LW seems to be a bit of a gamble if one really likes a knife to drop shut smoothly (since if it does not out of the box, there are less ways to adjust that than on a G10 Manix)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:34 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:49 pm
tomcatt1 wrote:

How is your REX 45 LW in that regard? As said in my post above (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87769&start=60#p1463418) mine was butter smooth right out of the box.

But actually, through yours and Ricks post here, I can see that pinned construction can be a real disadvantage indeed: So ordering a Manix LW seems to be a bit of a gamble if one really likes a knife to drop shut smoothly (since if it does not out of the box, there are less ways to adjust that than on a G10 Manix)
My rex45 is much better. While it was stiff out of the box, after breaking it in a bit I was able to adjust the pivot and dial in very smooth action with no blade play. It seems like the majority of the lightweights are fine, but when you do get one that's off from the factory it's not easy to fix. You just have to use it a bunch and hope that it improves.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mad german wrote:
Hi guys,
I picked up a Para 3 lightweight the other day. After getting home and really looking at the knife and playing with it a bit, I had to return it. I just can’t get into the FRN models.

Is there anyone else who feels the same? I love all my Spydies (G10 and CF scales), and really wanted to like the lightweight Para 3, but it seemed like an “imposter” of the “real deal” Para 3.

I see what you're saying and I tend to agree with you whole heartedly ;) . Now I do own and use a few Spyderco FRN folders such as the Spyderhawk, TASMAN, Endura ect. And most of them are in my "beater/user" rotation. But if I had my way about it all of those would have either G-10, Micarta, Stainless and/or Titanium handles. I like the feel of a solid tool in my hand. I've never ever had a problem with any of Spyderco's folders being too heavy.

And when you put the Para3 up for an example all I can say is that model would never end up in my user rotation with only a very few exceptions>> I would take the G-10 GOLDEN made models anytime. The one big selling point I like with most of the GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models I like is the feel of a real, well made tool in my hand.

Now I don't hate FRN but if given an option I would take a G-10 handled unit any day of the week.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:39 am
mad german wrote:
Hi guys,

I see what you're saying and I tend to agree with you whole heartedly ;) . Now I do own and use a few Spyderco FRN folders such as the Spyderhawk, TASMAN, Endura ect. And most of them are in my "beater/user" rotation. But if I had my way about it all of those would have either G-10, Micarta, Stainless and/or Titanium handles. I like the feel of a solid tool in my hand. I've never ever had a problem with any of Spyderco's folders being too heavy....
JD, have you ever tried out a CRK Sebenza?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to share my similar experiences. My first Spyderco was the Para 3 lightweight. I have owned and carried knives my whole life, but never more expensive than a SOG from the local Outdoor Retailer. I discovered Spyderco and per the Google decided to get a Para 3 LW. I was impressed with the design, but the feel was not right. It wasn't the lack of weight. Maybe the balance was too much towards the blade like a kitchen knife. Felt slippery when opening. Not when holding.

Any ways, I decided it was not for me and went on to another maker. I decided to try another the PM 2 and it completely changed my mind. I was hooked. I bought some highly recommended higher end Spydercos with upgraded steels. Beautiful designs and really great for different reasons.

I decided to try out the Endela with K390. What blew me away was not the steel, although great. It was the feel in hand, the slim and light carry in pocket, and the smoothness of the mid back lock and ease of one handed use. I thought the compression lock was the last lock for me. Well, until my beloved Watu ripped a pair of pants.

Well a few more Seki City models and a Taiwan in the rotation and now the FRN dominates my pocket. I will point to other higher end Spydercos as great designs and some of my favorites, but if favorites are determined by pocket time, I would say FRN wins out for me personally.
Attachments
PXL_20210827_211559760~2.jpg
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
z1r

Post by z1r »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Or, you could have the problem like my G10 version that is SOOOO drop shutty that the blade will bounce back before I can let the ball detent forward. My Rex45 is perfect in that regard, flicks open easily with the wrist, shuts easily. My FRN 20cv, I either spydie flick it or use two hands. Easy of opening has never stopped me from using it!
z1r

Post by z1r »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:19 pm
I know this is an older thread, but wanted to share my similar experiences. My first Spyderco was the Para 3 lightweight. I have owned and carried knives my whole life, but never more expensive than a SOG from the local Outdoor Retailer. I discovered Spyderco and per the Google decided to get a Para 3 LW. I was impressed with the design, but the feel was not right. It wasn't the lack of weight. Maybe the balance was too much towards the blade like a kitchen knife. Felt slippery when opening. Not when holding.

Any ways, I decided it was not for me and went on to another maker. I decided to try another the PM 2 and it completely changed my mind. I was hooked. I bought some highly recommended higher end Spydercos with upgraded steels. Beautiful designs and really great for different reasons.

I decided to try out the Endela with K390. What blew me away was not the steel, although great. It was the feel in hand, the slim and light carry in pocket, and the smoothness of the mid back lock and ease of one handed use. I thought the compression lock was the last lock for me. Well, until my beloved Watu ripped a pair of pants.

Well a few more Seki City models and a Taiwan in the rotation and now the FRN dominates my pocket. I will point to other higher end Spydercos as great designs and some of my favorites, but if favorites are determined by pocket time, I would say FRN wins out for me personally.
Dude, I hear you. The Endela K390 became my favorite after the first day I took it home and used it. I love it so much, I bought another.

I cut up two 8'x4' boxes a shed came in and it was still paper slicing sharp afterward. The pic doesn't do justice to the amount of carboard the knife cut up. The second pic shows a 55 gallon recycle bin nearly full.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It just melts in the hand and feels great. I typically rotate between the Endela, the Rock Jumper , and my Endura (Saber Ground). I bought the Endura for projects indoors and out thinking I needed something a little more robust. The Endela proved me wrong on that. It has been through some renovations jobs with me and that thin FFG was plenty robust. Hoping to snag a Pacific Salt 2 FFG next. I never thought that I would be someone hyping some FRN. But if it is a heavy user, it just works so well.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I can't get enough FRN. I vowed to ONLY buy lightweight knives this year, and I think I broke my own rule just once (for that silly purple G-10 CruWear Manix).

I find I can carry a bigger knife with FRN...I can size up without the "chunk in my pocket" penalty...