FRN/Lightweights: I just can’t get into them

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Re: FRN/Lightweights: I just can’t get into them

Post by carrot »

I love titanium, but it's expensive.

I love stainless, but it's slippery and heavy.

I love G-10, but it smooths out rather quickly while shredding pockets.

I love FRN, it's inexpensive and grippy and lightweight and lasts forever.

I didn't love the Para 3 until the Para 3 Lightweight came out. Meanwhile, I just got CF scales for my Delica and am absolutely loving it, but some days I still slip an FRN Delica into my pocket. It just feels right, and it's not going to scuff against other pocket toys.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

So I am wondering if people are reacting to the FRN itself or other factors? These would be: the difference between a stainless steel liner and no stainless steel liner (in terms of weight/heft and sound absorption/deadening), the contouring of the edges of the handle as one is more rounded and provides a different feel, and the sticky edge of the bi-directional texture as one seems a hair more rounded than the other and softens the touch ever so slightly; or maybe visual cues (boxy Manix vs curves Delica) make our brain react in certain ways we don't consciously realize.

In other words, if you were handed two rectangular slabs of FRN same size and thickness and texture and color from different countries, could you really tell a difference between them?

I'm thinking no and that other factors are at work here...

My .02,

CG
Attachments
FRN.jpg
So many knives - so little funds!!!
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

I have a question that might sound a little strange. How does the FRN (or any of the LW for that matter) sound when the blade is popped open. I ask as that was one of the things that turned me off on the Benchmade Griptilian, the sound it made when opened.
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:59 pm
I have a question that might sound a little strange. How does the FRN (or any of the LW for that matter) sound when the blade is popped open. I ask as that was one of the things that turned me off on the Benchmade Griptilian, the sound it made when opened.
The Seki knives (excluding the Salts because I don't have one) seem to have a muted lock engagement sound, compared to their G10 counterparts. The Golden LW models I've owned all sound similar to their G10 counterparts, but some might be more muted as well. Neither factory is putting out knives (based on what I've handled) that sound cheap.

I really disliked the sounds made by the Griptilian as well, but no Spyderco has come close to it, so none have been an issue.
carrot

Post by carrot »

tomcatt1 wrote:
The Griptilian is a very special case because it has tiny partial liners and huge hollow handles that reverberate quite loud. This is not the case on any Spyderco, even the Grip's closest analogue, the Manix 2 Lightweight. The other most often compared Spyderco is the Endura, which sounds positively glorious during lockup.

(Even the Mini-Grip doesn't sound this nasty.)
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

The P3LW feels probably the furthest from the G10 models. The lack of liners, contoured handles and overall smallness make it extremely light and small-feeling in the hand. Liner models like the Sage and Delica, and especially the chunky Native 5 are a different breed of animal. All good knives for sure!
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:01 am
tomcatt1 wrote:
The Seki knives (excluding the Salts because I don't have one) seem to have a muted lock engagement sound, compared to their G10 counterparts. The Golden LW models I've owned all sound similar to their G10 counterparts, but some might be more muted as well. Neither factory is putting out knives (based on what I've handled) that sound cheap.

I really disliked the sounds made by the Griptilian as well, but no Spyderco has come close to it, so none have been an issue.
Thanks for the confirmation. Glad it wasn't just me!
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

carrot wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:28 am
tomcatt1 wrote:
The Griptilian is a very special case because it has tiny partial liners and huge hollow handles that reverberate quite loud. This is not the case on any Spyderco, even the Grip's closest analogue, the Manix 2 Lightweight. The other most often compared Spyderco is the Endura, which sounds positively glorious during lockup.

Nasty is a good descriptive term for the sound it makes. I could not deal with it and not sure why they didn't do something differently.
Tommy

kobold

Post by kobold »

The Chaparral was also the icebreaker for me. After that i bought two FRN Natives. I used and abused one for weeks and it's still fine.

But you are not alone.. my personal no-go is black G10. I don't have a single knife and I don't think I would buy any sprint runs if not for the colors. Black G10 is the perfect carry in a sensory deprivation tank. :p
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like black because it matches everything else I carry. Keys, wallet, flashlight, pocket multitool, even my shoes :D
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

tomcatt1 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:13 am
carrot wrote:
tomcatt1 wrote:

Nasty is a good descriptive term for the sound it makes. I could not deal with it and not sure why they didn't do something differently.
Do something differently? Because someone might not like the sound it makes when it's opened? That's hilarious!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:42 pm

Do something differently? Because someone might not like the sound it makes when it's opened? That's hilarious!
Fair enough :)

Guess I should have expounded a bit. The sound of my full sized Grip with the glass-filled nylon scales had a hollow and cheap sound to me when I snapped it open. I could have got the Grip with the G10 and might have liked it more, but I seem to like Spyderco's more, so .......... :)
Tommy

carrot

Post by carrot »

Sharp Guy wrote:
tomcatt1 wrote:
carrot wrote:
tomcatt1 wrote:

All of the luxury car companies engineer their cars to sound good. It’s not unreasonable to expect a “luxury” knife company to do the same. That said, the Pardue designs are the only Butterflies I admire and the sound has nothing to do with the quality.

For what it’s worth, the similarly hollow Para3 LW has a wonderful precision click and does not sound hollow at all.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

carrot wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:25 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
tomcatt1 wrote:
carrot wrote:

All of the luxury car companies engineer their cars to sound good. It’s not unreasonable to expect a “luxury” knife company to do the same. That said, the Pardue designs are the only Butterflies I admire and the sound has nothing to do with the quality.

For what it’s worth, the similarly hollow Para3 LW has a wonderful precision click and does not sound hollow at all.
These are $100 knives not luxury cars that cost many thousands of dollars. I do get what you guys are saying. I was just teasing you guys. Anyway, I'm not trying to defend Benchmade. I got rid of my plastic Mini-Grip when I upgraded to the G10 version. But I honestly don't remember the plastic version sounding or feeling any "cheaper" than any of Spyderco's FRN knives. But we all have different levels of what's acceptable I guess
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Good! That leaves more for us that do like it!

Has anyone mentioned that FRN seems to retain body heat better?! seems like in winter Lightweights and unlined g10 are better at staying warm in the pocket so when you grab it without a glove on it’s not a freezing cold knife.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

No worries! :)

I may end up grabbing another Grip, or Mini Grip, in G10 or the plastic (and getting custom scales). I did like the sheepsfoot with the spidey hole :)
Tommy

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I like FRN especially the Seki ones.

I don't like it when they get scuffed. The scuffmarks leave a lighter color from the displaced and marred FRN and is quite hard to buff out.

I wish the Golden FRN/LW models like the Native and Manix could be redesigned like the Para 3 LW and Delica/Endura with countoured edges. It makes a world of difference with handling comfort and I am pretty sure that such a minor change would bring in more people on the edge about the FRN/FRCP/LW models.

I feel G10 is more premium feeling, but the lack of texturing/design have slightly bothered me especially with the increasing costs. I have always maintained that to add more value, some texturing on the G10 would be nice. The s45vn sprints have captivated me not just because of the steel, but the new textured G10. Some hate it but I love it and I haven't found it to be any more pocket-shreddy than the standard fresh peel ply G10, but YMMV.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:28 pm
So I am wondering if people are reacting to the FRN itself or other factors? These would be: the difference between a stainless steel liner and no stainless steel liner (in terms of weight/heft and sound absorption/deadening), the contouring of the edges of the handle as one is more rounded and provides a different feel, and the sticky edge of the bi-directional texture as one seems a hair more rounded than the other and softens the touch ever so slightly; or maybe visual cues (boxy Manix vs curves Delica) make our brain react in certain ways we don't consciously realize.

In other words, if you were handed two rectangular slabs of FRN same size and thickness and texture and color from different countries, could you really tell a difference between them?

I'm thinking no and that other factors are at work here...

My .02,

CG
Interesting .02 on the topic.

If you look at the differences from a bit different perspective, most of the popular and noted designs in this thread are accredited to either Sal via the Seki offerings with the Delica et. al. line-up, or Eric with the Golden made Native, Manix, along with being the co-conspirator behind the Para 3 for the lightweight reference. I'm thinking the design "soul" has a bit more to do with the transcended feeling of FRN in-hand, being Sal vs. Eric, in the matter if you look at it in contrast to the actual material country of manufacture.

Nonetheless, I'll stand by my statements of feeling an actual difference between the two iterations of FRN and FRCP and say if I was to get two unmarked, identically dimensioned pieces of material from the manufacturers out of Seki and Golden, that I would be able to tell a difference between the two.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

I have 2 Manix 2's, one in G10, which I just got, and the other is a Rex45 LW, I've had it for a few weeks and have used it a bit. The thing I noticed is that the G10 falls shut when the lock is released, the Rex45 one, not so much even after a few weeks of use.

Is that inherent to the different knives, or is there a suggested method for getting the Rex45 one to close more like the G10 one?
Tommy

vivi

Post by vivi »

Keep the pivot clean and oiled, and eventually it should break in to free drop. Either version has the same blade weight and screwed pivot.
:unicorn