Sharpmaker and S110v?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MDNY102

Sharpmaker and S110v?

Post by MDNY102 »

Is the sharpmaker (with default stones) essentially useless on S110v? Thanks.
TazKristi

Re: Sharpmaker and S110v?

Post by TazKristi »

MDNY102 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:55 am
Is the sharpmaker (with default stones) essentially useless on S110v? Thanks.
Hi, MDNY102:
Absolutely not. The Tri-Angle Sharpmaker can handle CPM S110V. That's what I use for mine.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The diamond or CBN rods will also come in handy for those high carbide steels.

I only have the UKPK in S110V, but I use the brown rods for resharpening the microbevel.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

No issues with sharpening up my s110v para 3. Actually just did it again this afternoon, works great!
carrot

Post by carrot »

I touch up my S110V PM2 all the time. Works great.

Don’t plan to reprofile it on the brown stones, though!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Why do you assume the Sharpmaker could be "useless" on S110V or similar high hrc steels?

The default sharpmaker rods (brown and white) are both harder than metal and will remove it, it just will take the longer the less abrasive the surface of a rod is.

I am by no means a mastersharpener and I never had S110V, but on folders in the harder steels I personally have experience with keeping the blades sharp on the brown rods is no problem at all.

As others have said: Reprofiling or repairing larger chips would take a long time though with the browns, but I got the CBN rods for that.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

You don’t need diamond rods or CBN rods. But they are helpful in that they speed up the process.

It all depends on how much time and patience you have.

If your just touching it up or microbeveling then it’s fine just the way it is.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The ceramics used in these rods are harder than any steel, so yes they will work. It will take more passes and more time simply because of the nature of the steel. This isn't a downfall of the sharpener, it's just a fact with steels like this. You can drop down to lower grit rods and cut steel faster, and other sharpening systems allow you to make "scrubbing passes" which basically double your efforts, and wider stones will take that even further. You can making scrubbing passes on the Sharpmaker too if you're able to hold the blade steady at 90 degrees.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MDNY102

Post by MDNY102 »

Thanks for all the input. A fairly dumb question on my part.....
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I don't know if there is a big difference between s90v and s110v but s90v doesn't take that long to sharpen on Sharpmaker rods and I sharpen the whole bevel freehand. Not perfectly but that's on me and not the stones. Medium-fine-ultra fine-strop.

/ David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You will need the diamond stones to reprofile it but you should probably be using them to reprofile any steel. The ceramics will debur/touch up/microbevel S110V adequately.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

MDNY102 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:06 am
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. This forum exists for discussion, and that includes questions and answers.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MDNY102 wrote:
Not at all. Welcome to the forum, by the way!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
James Y

Post by James Y »

MDNY102 wrote:
Welcome!

It’s not a dumb question at all. Also, many other people (who may or may not be members here) will also read this thread and learn much from it.

Jim
MDNY102

Post by MDNY102 »

Somehow in scouring the multiple legacy threads on similar topics, I initially came away with the impression that it was essential to have diamond stones/rods to get anywhere. Sounds like not so much... Thanks.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:24 pm
MDNY102 wrote:
Welcome!

It’s not a dumb question at all. Also, many other people (who may or may not be members here) will also read this thread and learn much from it.

Jim

+1

Actually your question will most likely have sparked valuable Information for readers here who are thinking 'bout getting a sharpmaker.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have to be honest, I struggle to touch up S110V on the Sharpmaker. I'll do a few light passes on the CBN rods and then go to the mediums. Just can't get that sticky sharp feeling like I get off my Hapstone. I have no issues touching up any other steels on the SM including Maxamet. S110V gets sharp enough to cut cardboard fairly well but barely shaves arm hair
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The Spyderco Brown and White Tri-Angle Stones that come with the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker work just fine with steels used on knives... the trick is keeping the edge maintained so that it doesn't get really dull. Once the edge gets really dull, then the Spyderco Tri-Angle Diamond Stones really come in handy to restore the edge to the point where the Brown and White Stones can fine tune and finish the edge.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:10 pm
I have to be honest, I struggle to touch up S110V on the Sharpmaker. I'll do a few light passes on the CBN rods and then go to the mediums. Just can't get that sticky sharp feeling like I get off my Hapstone. I have no issues touching up any other steels on the SM including Maxamet. S110V gets sharp enough to cut cardboard fairly well but barely shaves arm hair
I find S110V to be the hardest to get to “sticky” sharp. I find Maxamet, K390, 10V and S90V all easier.

Once I mastered sharpening S110V I knew that I could sharpen anything. It can be a stubborn steel. ;)

OP, I don’t mean to discourage you with this. You will get it sharp without issues. It is just that reaching that next level of sharpness with S110V is a little tricky. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

MDNY102 wrote:
Not a "dumb question" at all!
There is lots of internet lore espousing this idea. It's not surprising you had this thought.
You've come to the right place though. There are lots of skilled experienced sharpeners here on the forum.
I know Ankerson uses traditional abrasives on high carbide steels. CBN or diamond will make short work of reprofile work but are not absolutely necessary for touch ups.
I can attest that Sharpmaker CBN rods work great for reprofiling the likes of zdp 189, k390, M4, s90v, etc.