EDC vs WEDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

EDC vs WEDC

Post by skeeg11 »

I know for many there would be considerable overlap, but for newbies does anyone consider it beneficial to differentiate between plain ole regular EDC's and Work EDC's (WEDC's)?
Peter1960

Re: EDC vs WEDC

Post by Peter1960 »

LOL, when I read the headline my first thought was WEDC stands for weekend every day carry. :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:16 am
LOL, when I read the headline my first thought was WEDC stands for weekend every day carry. :D
That was my immediate thought as well.

On the actual question, if I factor in the commute, my “work” EDC usually accounts for 9-12 hours of my week days. That’s by far the larger part of my awake hours, so for all practical purposes I refer to my work EDC as my main EDC.

The need to differentiate work and after work EDC is very subjective and totally depends on the needs that tend to emerge in each setting.
I work in a mixed office / tech. research and manufacturing environment, and my primary needs for work is something compact that doesn’t clutter my pockets or get in my way, while still being potent enough to cut the things I need to cut during the day. While not being a crucial factor, I also weigh in how people friendly it is.

After work I could go on to carry the same knife for the rest of the day, or change it up if I’m doing something specific where I would benefit from using a different type of knife. I really don’t put a lot of energy into it.

Since weekend EDC (all though not technically EDC) was mentioned, that’s probably where I change it up the most. I try to do totally different things in the weekends than I do during the week, which often means a lot less tech and whole lot more fresh air, forest and mountain, and under these settings, my needs are often wildly different from my Work EDC. This is probably where I like to nerd out the most and live out my knife hobby. I actually spend quite some time to find the best tool for the different use cases I have identified.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I’m more of a ODC lately

One Day Carry

Keep a few knives out (In a fruit bowl on table) and grab a different one each day

Funny as when I ask the Mrs to bring a knife it’s always “which one” followed by “they all cut”

I could explain that I want the yellow salt for cutting salt bags for the pool. Green Delica for yard work. Camo Para 3 for most other things. But that would last a month until I change the fruit bowl for another 5-6 knives.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my old job had restrictions for the size of knife that could be carried, so i'd have to carry knives that were smaller than i'd find useful for everyday cutting tasks. as soon as i left work, i'd switch to my larger edc knives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Only time I ever had to do that was when I was working "in population" in a prison. Rule there was a 2" blade limit and your SSN had to be engraved on the blade. That was long before I discovered Spyderco, my "normal" EDC was either a Buck 110 or Prince and, like most of the folks who worked there, my "work" EDC was the Schrade LB1 shown below. Not a surprising choice, given the prison's proximity to Ellenville. By the time I discovered Spyderco, I had an office job where I could carry larger knives, so didn't need a dedicated work knife and am retired now so the only distinction for me is between "yard work" carry and EDC. :D

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am too busy and too lazy to switch my carry after work. I have also always worked where I could carry whatever I want so i have never had to downsize my blade for work.

I used to rotate daily but at this point I just carry the same knife for weeks at a time. Most of the time it is some flavor of Military.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

If I'm working, there's a Caribbean in my pocket.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I prefer my Manix's and Shaman's for work, though I will cycle through and use other models as well, but they are definitely my favorite 2 when it comes to actual work.

If I'm just putzing around, or going to lunch or the store or something like that then I'll typically carry my UKPK/Dragonfly/Watu because they are lighter and smaller knives. Plus, I probably wouldn't get much use out of them otherwise!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

No difference for me. I grab a different knife every day or two, but rarely use them at work. My job just doesnt involve much cutting. And when it does, its not much different than what I do outside of work.

My flashlight, on the other hand, gets used frequently at work, and at home too. But I carry the same one day in and day out.

Now that I think about it though, there is one thing that I do switch out just for work. My pen. I carry a Siphon2 outside of work. I have a diabetic daughter so I am constantly righting down carb counts and insulin figures. I like that the space pen cartridge always works and I prefer blue ink. But at work I carry an f701 modified with an ultra fine Jetsteam refill. Works great for writing in the little boxes on the paperwork I deal with, and they insist on black ink.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I used to have this kind of rotation, where I had knives that I felt more comfortable abusing (or I guess I cared less about) and then I'd maybe carry something fancier when I'm not at work. I've also had jobs where discretion was important and I had knives that stayed under the radar better or blended in better or even seemed less intimidating when I did have them out. I do still have knives that are nicer and fancier that I won't have out in my back yard cutting up weeds with, but for the most part I carry the same knife for work and play these days. A big part of that has been because I want to use my knives in all situations and see how they perform for even mundane tasks. I think for the whole last year I've basically been testing a Caribbean so it has been my go-to knife for literally everything that needs cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I work for a company that has a blade limit of no more than 3.5 inches. (~8.9 cm) This is generally in line with the Colorado state limit. Anywhere outside of work I'll typically carry something with a blade ~3"-3.5" (~7.6 cm - 8.9 cm). I'll carry that 3"-3.5" model to work, but leave it in the car and switch to something more socially acceptable with a high "Wow!" factor, like a CF or Raffir Noble Chaparral.

Generally, the farther I am from civilization the longer the blade, though. The CE PM 2 I picked up at the SFO is a current favorite.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Peter1960 wrote:
And my first thought was "Wireless" :rolleyes:
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:29 pm
I know for many there would be considerable overlap, but for newbies does anyone consider it beneficial to differentiate between plain ole regular EDC's and Work EDC's (WEDC's)?
Absolutely! While I like all my knives to be as sharp as possible, sometimes a work knife can get a little tougher treatment, so I like another to be razor sharp for after hours. Also, a work knife might be used in a less-than-hygenic environment. An after-hours knife might get used for slicing sushi or sharing toasted cheese sandwiches. A work knife needs to be of a larger size. The size of an after-hours knife varies with the wardrobe. Summertime in Socal means warm weather. Warm weather equals less clothing equals smaller knives.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Absolutely, my work carry is entirely different.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For years now I've pretty much EDCed the same blades ( mostly folders) for work as I do for all my other activities. But there are times when I find it necessary to carry knives that are more specialized for the work or play I might be doing at any given time. For instance whenever I go hunting, fishing or backpacking I always and I do mean ALWAYS carry two of my old fixed blade TEMPERANCE 1 models ( PE & SE ). Because when I'm outdoors I always have at least two fixed blades on me at all times. But in literal "every day carry" I most usually have one full sized PE blade and one full SE blade ( folders, full sized).

I carry a folder and a companion folder every day. Unless I've got business in a courthouse or other government building there are not hardly any times I don't have a knife handy.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Peter1960 wrote:
Me too. The week carry is already the work carry.
One year ago I changed job and my EDC changed as well: I swapped from the Salt 2 on week days and Dragonfly on weekends to the opposite.
jdw

Post by jdw »

If I need to really work with a folder it is inevitability my 52100 Millie or my GB1. For light tasks and general edc I like my Cat but I have increased my carry of a Native quite a bit lately. For gentleman's carry it is usually my Air, even with the crazy weak detent.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I used to carry different knives for work and for EDC but lately I've been carrying the same knives at and outside of work. I think there might be some benefit with regards to muscle memory if I use the same knives (in terms of ergonomics) all the time.

My knife preferences for work are fairly specific, due to the types of cutting tasks I do & the materials I cut, as well as the work environment. I prefer wharncliffes, but I'm also okay with using serrated or combo edge leaf blade or drop point blades. I also find that blades in the 2.5" to 3.5" range work best for me—long enough to do real work & have reasonable reach, but not so long that I can't use them in cramped, confined spaces.

The Yojimbo 2 and the Delica 4 (in either plain edge wharncliffe or combo edge drop point) have been my most carried and most used knives this year so far as they're the knives I own that best fit those criteria. The Li'l Temperance 3 comes in third—it's neither a wharncliffe nor is it serrated, but I just like how it handles so much that I'm willing to overlook those features just to use it as much as I reasonably can.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

My Work EDC rotates between my Spyderco Rhino & Chaparral LW, sometimes a Benchmade Bugout. I work in Admissions & Registration for a Hospital. My work EDC mostly gets used to open boxes & envelopes. We have a "No-Weapons" policy, so I have to keep that in mind in what I carry. Carrying my Matriarch would make too many people nervous - and be a bit of overkill for my needs. Granted I have brought in different Spydercos as one of our radiologists is a new knife-nut & he's wanted to check them out. So far he's gotten a Para 3 in S35VN & a Chaparral LW.

Outside of work it varies widely & depends on mood & what I'm doing. Sitting at the computer - maybe a Spyderco Roadie or my new Hiroaki Ohta friction folder. Out doing yardwork, possibly my Delica. Heading to town to run errands - sky's the limit. Heading to the big city for errands or a night out, Matriarch or Lil'Temp 3.