Very early dedicated Possible-Rock-Jumper-variants thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Very early dedicated Possible-Rock-Jumper-variants thread

Post by Wartstein »

I don´t even have a Rock Jumper yet (not dropped in Europe so far), but I know already I´ll absolutely love this model (for me in SE). It is a design obviously many (me included) really have been waiting for.

Thought it could be a good thing to concentrate and collect all wishes (many already voiced elsewhere) concerning further variants of the RJ or models based on this design in a dedicated thread, before they get "buried" among posts in other threads.
So here are my proposals:

1.) Bright colored handle: Almost a must have in a climbing or mountain-rescue knife (which the RJ would be perfect for) - bright orange would be great.

2Linerless version: Nothing I would need, but I know some climbers and mountaineers are really concerned with weight

3.) (Killing two birds with one stone): Green handled, linerless Salt version (like the LC200N Pac Salt): Though not as good as orange, bright green is not bad either when it comes to visibility. I know, Sal has already mentioned that it is Erics plan to make Salt versions of most successfull models, but maybe it would be good to give the RockJumper some priority (again, especially concerning the bright color)

4.) XL version: Mentioned quite often already: A Rock Jumper XL would basically give us a backlock Caribbean... for me then probably the perfect general EDC knife. And while I prefer the wharnie blade in the current RJ, in an XL version a leaf shaped blade would be nice to have.

Any further ideas? Concerning steel, blade shape, color, other "edge all the way to the handle" lockback-knives based on the RJ?
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Re: Very early dedicated Possible-Rock-Jumper-variants thread

Post by vivi »

I'll buy a Rockjumper XL the day they're released if it happens. I like everything about the design besides the size.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:40 am
I'll buy a Rockjumper XL the day they're released if it happens. I like everything about the design besides the size.

Yes, this just has to happen.. :rolleyes:

I find the current RJ size to be absolutely perfect for it´s most intended use as an aggressive, smaller, utility cutting tool that is brought for climbing for example.

But the perfect pair for me would be (in fact all I ever needed): The wharnie SE Rockjumper as a clmbing / utility knife, plus a leaf shaped Rockjumper SE XL as a general EDC (for me around 3.5" of blade, and keep in mind: With the RJ design most of that blade would also be actual cutting edge...).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:51 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:40 am

Yes, this just has to happen.. :rolleyes:

I find the current RJ size to be absolutely perfect for it´s most intended use as an aggressive, smaller, utility cutting tool that is brought for climbing for example.

But the perfect pair for me would be (in fact all I ever needed): The wharnie SE Rockjumper as a clmbing / utility knife, plus a leaf shaped Rockjumper SE XL as a general EDC (for me around 3.5" of blade, and keep in mind: With the RJ design most of that blade would also be actual cutting edge...).
Couldn't agree more. The rockjumper serves its purpose very well from what I can see. But for a general purpose EDC I like a little more cutting edge.
:unicorn
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Since I'm not much into climbing any more, the basic RJ is probably not for me. But I like the new handle design, so;
- a leaf shaped RJ XL Salt FFG LC200N would definitely get my attention. And make it Yellow, just to change things up a little
- Since I'm more into mountain SAR than mountain climbing these days, a regular sized RJ Salt, with sheepsfoot/rescue style blade, FFG SE LC200N and Yellow or orange handle would also be hard not to consider.

My fixation on Salt's is probably exaggerated and not required for all the applications I use them in, but that combination of light weight, resilience against the elements and bright colors just wins me over, every time.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Rockjumper XXL. 5" blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ABX2011 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:12 am
Rockjumper XXL. 5" blade.

Totally yes. Actually there should be backlock knives in any size category using that minimal-Ricasso design.. (except maybe very small models where a choil in the blade is mandatory to achieve a four finger grip)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ugh, linerless is the bane of my existence in the knife world. Just, no.

STOP FAT SHAMING MY KNIVES!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Personally, I would make a Delica/Endela/Endura 5 series, integrating the Handle Forward design cues.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a little baffled that this didn't come in as a linerless Salt model as the standard version. Maybe those kinds of molds are more expensive than linered knives? Having a rust proof almost zero maintenance knife is useful to more people than just those who play in the ocean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'll buy a jimped and dented variant. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:34 am
1.) Bright colored handle: Almost a must have in a climbing or mountain-rescue knife (which the RJ would be perfect for) - bright orange would be great.
I would add Glow-in-the-dark as I see this as being just as useful for Caving (spelunking) as rock climbing! I don't go as often as I use to but I'd love to have one clipped to my pack.

Would probably want LC200N due to all the water, mud and grit that it will undoubtedly be mired in. :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:14 am

Buy the current one and see if the lack of jimping and dent really bothers you in that particular model! :D

I am pretty sure I personally will not miss that features in the RJ... but can't weigh in yet, still has not dropped in Europe.. :(
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
I would add Glow-in-the-dark as I see this as being just as useful for Caving (spelunking) as rock climbing! I don't go as often as I use to but I'd love to have one clipped to my pack.

Would probably want LC200N due to all the water, mud and grit that it will undoubtedly be mired in. :D

Cool idea!! :)

I do occasional caving too... we have lots of really huge ones here, including the largest ice cave in the world (at least the largest that has been discovered yet...)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:42 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:45 am
Wartstein wrote:

Cool idea!! :)

I do occasional caving too... we have lots of really huge ones here, including the largest ice cave in the world (at least the largest that has been discovered yet...)
"Eisriesenwelt" [world of ice giants] Maybe that could be your next Rex45 photo shoot gernot! hehe, those caves look amazing!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Brightly colored linerless handles and an LC200N blade would get my vote, and my dollars.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
TJB

Post by TJB »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:47 am
steelcity16 wrote:

Buy the current one and see if the lack of jimping and dent really bothers you in that particular model! :D

I am pretty sure I personally will not miss that features in the RJ... but can't weigh in yet, still has not dropped in Europe.. :(

Still waiting in Canada as well
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Another variation that would make a lot of sense particularly for the Rock Jumper: Combo-edge.

While I would not want a comboedge in my main EDC (but rather full SE with that 3 to 5 mm or so PE towards the tip), I certainly can see its value in some roles that the Rock Jumper can fill perfectly:

- (Mountain-) rescue people often like comboedges
- My own current climbing knife is a Delica comboedge and it works pretty well in that capacity: Just enough SE for cutting the usually not too thick cordage used in climbing (10 mm / 0.4" and thinner), while the PE part is good for scraping jobs (like scraping off resin of dwarf mountain pines from the hands)

My ideal CE Rock Jumper would offer like 2/3 of SE and 1/3 of PE.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

It will definitely bother me. I have had most of the popular Golden and Seki models at one time or another, and the lack of jimping and/or dent bothered me on all of them. The Lil Native, SpyOpera, Spyderhawk (no jimping), Worker (no jimping) to name a few.

I mean the Worker implies in its name that it is meant to work! :)
Jimping seems a must. Off topic a little but I'd love to see a new Worker 2 LW and/or Worker-fly with jimping and dents. H1 Salts would be awesome. It's such a shame that this iconic blade shape is nowhere in the lineup.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:39 am
Wartstein wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

It will definitely bother me. I have had most of the popular Golden and Seki models at one time or another, and the lack of jimping and/or dent bothered me on all of them. The Lil Native, SpyOpera, Spyderhawk (no jimping), Worker (no jimping) to name a few.

I mean the Worker implies in its name that it is meant to work! :)
Jimping seems a must. Off topic a little but I'd love to see a new Worker 2 LW and/or Worker-fly with jimping and dents. H1 Salts would be awesome. It's such a shame that this iconic blade shape is nowhere in the lineup.

Ok, I see :) !

Not sure if I ever had a Spydie without any jimping, but since I rarely put my thumb on the ramp anyway (but rather to the side of the blade or further forward on the spine) and the RJ has no choil (that can be jimped or not on other models) I figure that the lack of jimping is not an issue for me personally.
Additionally, even if one uses the thumb ramp as such, the steepness of it and the handfilling wide handle should be good enough to keep the RJ securely in the hand?!
I´ll see as soon as I get my hands on a Rock Jumper myself! :)

As for the boye dent: I can recall only my Native 5 having none and of course my Chap does not have one either. I personally don´t miss it, but that´s just me.