Which Spydercos Are In Your EDC Rotation?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Which Spydercos Are In Your EDC Rotation?

Post by vivi »

Post your EDC rotation, and maybe share a bit about why you like those models.

I have two Police folders, a Manix XL, two salts and a Street Beat in my EDC drawer.

The Police is my favorite model. Really great ergonomics, carries very well for the size, and offers very high performance cutting. The K390 / G10 Police offers the best edge retention out of any knife I own, while the lightweight version sheds some grams, while offering enhanced ergos due to the thicker handle, and of course better corrosion resistance due to the stainless blade and liners hidden beneath the FRN scales.

The Manix XL sprint is the newest addition, but I have about 5 years of experience with the Manix XL in other forms. Nice tank of a folder with an incredibly secure grip and an efficiently ground tall full flat grind blade.

Salts are my bread and butter. They're my general EDC's half the year, and work knives year round. I like the Pacific for its extreme light weight and fully serrated edge. I like the Siren for its nice full flat grind, excellent blade shape and compared to the Pacific, a more palm filling handle.

Lastly, the Street Beat. Exceptional ergonomics comfortable in any grip and a nice pointy tip are two of my favorite aspects of the design. It's very light and the coated VG10 is pretty close to rust proof for my applications.

What do you choose from each day?
:unicorn
aicolainen

Re: Which Spydercos Are In Your EDC Rotation?

Post by aicolainen »

I’m not exclusivly using Spyderco knives, but their ability to make diverse, performance oriented knives for all kinds of real life use, does mean I give them more attention than some others brands, and they are certainly over represented in my collection. I'm actually a bit surprised they are so well represented in the EDC role, as I mostly turn to Spyderco for more niche applications rather than general purpose.

Manbug salt: My office EDC since I got it quite recently and maybe the only real EDC knife if we interpret the abbreviation literally. A real gem in ugly duckling clothes, that has really opened my eyes to serrated edges.

Dragonfly 2: My shorts / work out clothes / light and fast carry. My narrow hand gets a full four finger grip on the DF2. Excellent control and slicing performance in a minimal package. I can see now, taking the pics for this post, that it should have been a salt, but it was one of the first folders I bought after I got interested in knives, and I was probably still testing the waters rather than thinking too far ahead.

Native 5 Salt: My general outdoor knife. This one lives in my outdoor pants, and a I generally take part in some kind of outdoor activity every day. It might be replaced by something more suitable on a case to case basis, but this is my default. I must admit I don’t particularly like all aspects of it, but it seems to strike a better balance for general outdoor use than the alternatives I have to choose from, so this is what tends to work best, most of the time.

Salt 2: My SAR folder. I guess this is stretching the EDC definition, but SAR is an integral part of my daily life. Always ready to respond, and very regular training means that this knife is with me on a very regular basis. I do love it for its usability and performance ratios, but I bought it before I learned about the wonders of serrated edges. Might upgrade to a LC200N FFG SE down the line, but it will still be a Salt 2 for this application.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

This is my current edc rotation, which is subject to change at any time. My P4 will rejoin the group soon, it's been a while.

Lately I've had an appreciation for the 3.5" (ish) blades, but still really enjoy the 3.7-4.4" blade length range.

These 3 models all work very well for me. The Shaman is the knife I use if I think damage might occur, because Rex 45 is impressive and laughs at danger. Unrelated to this thread; I thinned out the edge on my Para 3 Rex 45 to 13.5 dps, and it cuts for a ridiculous amount of time. The fun thing with any Rex 45 knife, is the ability to use different sharpening techniques and stone types, for really crazy edges. It does well with whatever you throw at it.

The Manix has my favorite stainless steel, S90V and it's a model I've owned, in one form or another, longer than any other Spyderco model. S90V, being a high carbide steel, is a joy to cut with, similar to K390, with it's agressive edges. I really do think the CBBL is the best lock Spyderco offers. The overall design of the knife is great for just about anything you need a knife for. I just put a 600 grit freehand edge on it, then stropped with 1 micron diamond spray on leather. Going low grit, with 1, .5, and .25 micron strops after, is my favorite edge to put on a high carbide steel. It gives a lot of slicing power, but the stropping leaves the nice coarse edge, while polishing the high spots, making it also push cut extremely well.

The K390 PM2 is a very versatile edc knife. The blade shape is great, and the way the handle and choil are designed, it's very comfortable, so long as I'm choked up and using a pinch grip. Fortunately, that's my preferred grip. The way K390 cuts, the way it sharpens, and the way it retains it's edge is great.

The M390 PM2 is my "highly stainless, but not quite rust proof steel", that holds an edge well, sharpens easily, and has been tough enough for anything I've needed it for. M390 is also somewhat fun to sharpen, because it polishes so easily and takes a very fine edge. Maybe not as fine as Rex 45, but they both feel very similar when I feel the edge with my fingers: smooth, crisp, and very sharp.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

If you saw my "collection rules" thread you would know I am going through another cycle of refining my collection and way of collecting. I have a few shipping out today and a few more on the chopping block that I didn't include in the photo. This is what I am left with in my EDC rotation for now. All are users. I do have a few backups of the Cruwear models though. There are definitely gaps in there and I think my final end game after I pick up all of the current and upcoming models I want will probably be about triple this size. I need to add back in a new Military and Z-wear Shaman, the new Pacific Salts, upcoming S35VN Tenacious LW, Manbug Wharnie, and I still have to try the Endela and Police LW. Plus there are others like the Spyderhawk that I need to track down again after regrettably selling mine in my last purge. And I want to add a few more Endura and Delica variants. And a few others. :D Oh, and that Cruwear SSSXL will be in there on day one of its release!

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:22 am

The M390 PM2 is my "highly stainless, but not quite rust proof steel", that holds an edge well, sharpens easily, and has been tough enough for anything I've needed it for.
Do you find M390 to be more stainless than S90V? Or maybe it’s just the way you wrote this that makes it seem so.

Looking at data from Knife Steel Nerds, it would seem like S90V, at least in theory, is equally- or even slightly more stainless than M390
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:54 am
Albatross wrote:

The M390 PM2 is my "highly stainless, but not quite rust proof steel", that holds an edge well, sharpens easily, and has been tough enough for anything I've needed it for.
Do you find M390 to be more stainless than S90V? Or maybe it’s just the way you wrote this that makes it seem so.

Looking at data from Knife Steel Nerds, it would seem like S90V, at least in theory, is equally- or even slightly more stainless than M390
I do. I believe you're referring to S110V.

Taken from the Knife Steel Nerds website...

Last edited by Albatross on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:02 am
aicolainen wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:54 am
Albatross wrote:

I do. I believe you're referring to S110V.

Taken from the Knife Steel Nerds website...

Alright, I was looking at an older table from a different article. Thanks

anycal

Post by anycal »

Don't mind the ash on the table, as my state is on fire...

PM2 is almost always on me. It's just a matter of which model. Although 10V has been it for over a month, the K390 is my favorite - steel, color, action, the whole package.

The Native 5 is my go to small knife. Since I have a few, it comes down which is the sharpest. I do prefer the G10.

Military is my go to large folder. Usually always on me during the weekend, or anything outdoors. Well, expcept for mountain biking; PM2 for that.

GB2 is the sub for a PM2. What a great knife!

Peter
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2 (4v, Maxamet, and lately Rex 45, but also occasionally s110v or s90v, and a smattering of others from time to time).
Canis (first s30v I've EDC'd in a while, and I'm really liking this knife. I'd love to see it with a CBBL.
Chaparral (the CF variant, but that's not important to me)
Police 4
Whatever the latest thing I want to try out is (so maybe the Canis fits that slot right now)

It's a whole lot of Manix 2 for me, mostly, with others depending on the specific day planned or a specific knife I want to mess with.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Mostly I am carrying the Rex45 Manix 2 LW these days. I am trying to wear it out. Ha ha!

My "rosewood" Shaman is a runner up and standing by at the ready.
It is also Rex45, but I hadn't thought about that until just now.

In general, I am usually carrying a Manix 2, Shaman, or PM2 and rotate among the various copies of each of those that I have.

Every now and then I get in a "big knife" mood and then the Police 4 or one of my Military will come out.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I tend to do it by the day of the week but almost all of mine get carried at some point. At night I usually have the Dragonfly, Chap LW, or Para3 LW. My Tenacious and Ambitious don't get pocket time anymore.

Monday: Manix 2 in some flavor with the Dragonfly
Tuesday: PM2 in some flavor with the Chap LW or Delica
Wednesday: Junction with Para3 SPY27/S35VN (I usually swap out to the Shaman, Manix, or PM2 for cardboard duties)
Thursday: Kapara or SpydieChef with Mantra 2
Friday: Anything goes and I usually change it through the day
Saturday: Something Salt (PS or Caribbean) for yard work or projects but always the Tasman Salt is along for the ride.
Sunday: Usually the Shaman or Caribbean along with the Chap LW

I will grab a different knife depending on the task or occasion too. I like to use all of them.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:42 am

I knew I´d like your "user-collection"! :)

Not too keen on PM2 and DFly (though both nice!), but the whole "rest" is just perfect for me in their size categories...

/ Will post my current in-rotation-knives later
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Some of my salts arent edc, but they are regular carry. Ill try to post a pic later.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It changes every few months but currently.....

Police4 K390
P'Kal
Lil Native 4V
Manix 4V
Shaman S30V
Chief S30V
Wharndelica Hap40
Para3 Rex45 with full Ti handles/hardware
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:44 pm

I knew I´d like your "user-collection"! :)

Not too keen on PM2 and DFly (though both nice!), but the whole "rest" is just perfect for me in their size categories...

We definitely have similar tastes I think. I will say the only reason I have a PM2 is I couldn't pass on that combo being the Cruwear fan-boy I am. And that shade of purple is really nice, especially with the black hardware. And the Dfly Salt is really my board shorts carry, so I guess not really part of my "EDC". :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

Everything in my sig gets carried at least once a week. They're all used the same but it's usually office tasks, boxes, loose uniform strings. The PM2(S35VN) was my first Spydie so it has sentimental value but none of them have really been bought for a special task or anything other than maybe the Chef to test the corrosion resistance of LC200N. I love the solid feeling and the tool steels of my Manix 2 XL(M4) and Shaman(Rex 45) but they're babied compared to what a lot of you guys put them through. I've only had the Kapara since Monday and I love how it disappears in the pocket and the smooth carbon fiber scales feel great.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My EDC is pretty simple- PM2 and Manix2. Well I have several versions of each-
PM2 CF M4
PM2 S110V
PM2 K390
Manix2 LW S110V
Manix2 LW Rex45
Manix2 XL M4
I have more but considering that for the past 6 months I've been working from home my EDC has been disrupted and I'm not carrying as many.
I've been using a G10 Manix2 M4 as a work knife but now I'm using the Rex45 version for that. I have a Military Jade M4 that I carry out of the house sometimes- note EDC but occasional carry.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks for the replies, its fun seeing what everyone is carrying. Seems a lot of us find a model we like enough to buy multiple variations of!
:unicorn
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I carry all the knives I own, though I have multiples of the Native 5, Manix 2, Para 3, and Yojimbo 2.
Attachments
thingamabobs_twenty_v2.jpg