What happened with the mantra?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

What happened with the mantra?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

When I first saw the mantra I thought it was a really interesting concept. Taking a beloved design (the delica) and fully decking it out. The original mantra fully embodied this, the delica's handle and blade profile upgraded with a ti framelock (with an insert), a full length edge, deep carry clip, M4 steel, and a flipper. A fully modern and premium interpretation of a very old design, while being different enough to fill a separate role.

When the Mantra 2 came around, it was a little odd. But sure, still the same frame just with a slicey-er blade and a smaller less functional hole. The spine is more in line with the back of the handle so maybe people who don't like the hump but like the delica's handle would be into it. Same great knife, new different blade. They probably could've kept both in production and they both would've sold well.

And now we've got the mantra 3. Wider handle profile made from Taichungs peel ply laminated cf. Downgraded to s30v steel. Smaller flipper tab. Blade similar to the first mantra but now with a recurve. And swapped from a framelock to a comp lock. Now I could be way off base here, but WAT. What happened here? Why did a premium upgrade to a beloved model turn into a cut and paste taichung comp lock? The only upgrades in this model is the re-inclusion of the opening hole and the smaller tab.

Again, could be way off base here. And, I've never owned any of these models. But just looking at the specs I'm nothing but confused.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
carrot

Re: What happened with the mantra?

Post by carrot »

Unfortunately they were fabulous designs that got caught up in the bearing flipper controversy. I think most of this controversy was overblown by the sorts of gear experts who believe they should dismantle and clean their knives daily like guns. Though a handful of real users did see real issues with Spyderco's first bearing flippers.

I have a Domino with the same lockup and action and it is wildly fantastic. Both the Mantra and Mantra 2 were fantastic designs, but as a longtime Spyderfan I still enjoy best the slow roll with circular opening hole. Worth snagging for sure, if you ever see one on secondary, you won't regret it.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I greatly preferred my Mantra 3 to my Mantra 1. The Mantra 1 and 2 never recovered from those disparaging youtube videos I'm guessing.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have the 1&2, can't speak for the 3.

The original is one of my all time favorites. Fantastic knife, awesome steel and great handle. It's really the "perfect" Delica.

I've been thinking of deleting the flipper tab.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The Mantra and Mantra2 were released at the same time... which seemed like an experiment in blade shape preference in a Spyderco flipper.

Unfortunately, the bearing setup wasn't on the same level as the expectations for some, and the detent ball wore down for others on the grind lines of the M4 blade surface. This was a time when ceramic bearings and detent balls were on the rise, and the thin washers and detent drag led to disappointment for some people who had certain expectations for a ball bearing flipper.

They were both great designs and I'm surprised they didn't get the CQI bearing setup.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My Mantra is great! One of my all time favorite knives. The detent was a little weak but I eventually fixed that. I think they were really good for most people but not everyone had a good experience. I think eventually Spyderco just decided to move on. There were probably other factors involved too but they were discontinued none-the-less. I really wish they would've waited and just CQI'd it with the new bearing system.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69758&hilit=Mantra+bearings

Mantra 3 does have the new bearing system and it was one of the first comp lock flippers (right after the Sliverax). I'm sure the Mantra 3 is a great knife but, since I already have the Mantra and Sliverax, I decided to pass on it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I've handled the Mantra 3 at my local B&M, and my impression of it is that it's a solidly-executed knife, definitely a folder that most Delica 4 fans (of which I am one) would at the very least like, if not outright love. I really, really liked how it felt in hand.

Ultimately though, the value just wasn't there for me. The flipper-opening mechanic, upgraded steel, compression lock & peel-ply CF scales just weren't worth the significantly higher cost over a standard Delica to me. I suppose if I didn't already have a Delica 4 & a Para 3 Lightweight I would have gotten the Mantra 3 as a sort of in-between model, but as it stood, the Mantra 3 almost cost as much as both of those knives put together.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

It's too bad Spyderco didn't release a washer conversion kit for the Mantra 1 & 2, because I've seen fixes for the detent issues, but nothing for converting to washers. I remember reading that someone had measured the thickness needed for a washer conversion, bought some pb washers, but couldn't get it to work.

My Mantra 2 was a weak flipper, but changing my technique, and adjusting the handle screws, made it into a solid flipper. It flips as well as any ZT I've ever owned.

The 3 is... disappointing for sure, but there are people out there who prefer it. Perspective is an interesting thing.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I think it’s a little disappointing as well. I am one of those weirdos who likes S30V, but there’s no arguing that it’s a downgrade from M4, so that took one selling point away from the knife because now it shares the blade steel with every other “base” Spyderco knife. I can understand why they went to the peel-ply carbon/G-10 scales (which I also don’t mind) because they needed liners to pull off the compression lock at that point, but that change also made it blend in with the rest of the “normal” Taichung produced knives that have essentially the same construction. And I personally dislike the recurve. So you went from a really compelling knife that had a high end steel, TI construction and a look everyone loves to a knife that just blends into the Spyderco line in just about every way. I do hope they make a Mantra 4, because a mantra is meant to be repeated, but if they do I hope they make it something unique again instead of something that gets lost in the catalog. Bring back M4 steel, maybe go with a different steel like K390, CruWear, S110V, S45VN and change up the handle, maybe a unique scale material, or even an integral TI Compression lock which they’ve been able to accomplish now. Maybe integral TI compression lock on one side and solid carbon for the other scale, just throwing stuff out there.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Been looking out for a good condition Mantra 1 to add fo my Taichung titanium collection for a while now but haven't been able to find one at a decent price and in a condition that I would like. I think it matches well with the Sage 2 and personally, I love m4. I also wondered why they did not CQI it at all. I think it would have sold great if only they CQI'd the issues presented by the users.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal said they had a lot of requests for a stainless version. I would prefer M4 but not everybody would.

Also, many folks including myself don’t prefer metal handles.

Between those two things I am sure that for somebody out there this was an improvement.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I bought the last of the original Mantras at the SFO when they were clearanced out. I liked it so much I bought another from an online retailer and switched the clip to the left side. Then, I read about some of the issues they had. Neither of these two have any issues; I’m guessing they’re the latest rev. I’m carrying one today.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I picked up a Mantra 2 during the discontinued sales. I'm not a big Delica fan due to the grip size but I like the Mantra 2. I like the different blade shape. The flipper action isn't great but not terrible either. Mine has never had lock stick and it is a nice office knife. Of course, the M4 is great on a small Ti folder. It even has more blade edge than a PM2. I'm not into the Mantra 3 at all but we'll see if any other Mantras come out down the road.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I wanted to love the Mantra 1 when it first came out. A Delica-plus with edge all the way to the handle! Then I looked closer. I didn’t trust the ball bearing pivot, wanted a stainless blade, didn’t really want a metal handle, or a flipper. So I waited. Eventually the leaf Caribbean scratched that itch, albeit in a larger size. A smaller version (Mantra sized) of that basic design would interest me.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The mantra 2 is a rare super compact Spyderco. Love the blade shape too. Wish they refined it and came out with a mantra 2.1
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It just didn't work out for the Mantra. Gen 1 had bearing issues and the Mantra 3 has that ugly recurve. So none of them reached their potential.
I bought the Mantra 2 on closeout and reground it so now it slices well. Action isn't terrible. Lockup is very late but solid. It carries beautifully. I like the knife.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:22 am
The mantra 2 is a rare super compact Spyderco. Love the blade shape too. Wish they refined it and came out with a mantra 2.1
I would be down for that. I actually think the Mantra 2 is my favorite Spyderco EDC knife.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Finds the most time in my pocket for good reason. The most compact and stout 3.2" bladed folder in my collection. Since it isn't as tall as the Mantra 1, it isn't as slicey due to a more obtuse primary grind, but because of that it is more stout and ready to tackle more hard use applications should they arise while still being slick and svelte enough be a gentleman's knife should you encounter a tough piece of meat while out on the town. No other EDC carries as well as the Mantra 2 in my collection.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Aside from the early issues with the bearings, it seems like the Mantra 1/2 just did not appeal to Spyderco enthusiasts very broadly. I’m sure to a few people here It was just what was missing in their lives. But there doesn’t seem be the level of excitement over flippers in general and Spyderco-designer flippers in particular here as compared to, say, the Rock Jumper or a new Stretch model etc.

I like flippers but these came out at a time when I wouldn’t buy anything but SE. Even now, if I were to buy a flipper it would be the Sliverax, not an in-house design.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I like and admire the design of the Mantra 1 enough to keep it in my collection even though I rarely carry it anymore (all-metal handles just aren't my favorite). It doesn't have the most amazing flipping action, but it works just fine for me, plus there's a fully functional spydie hole as an alternative. To me it's a flipper version of the Delica I love so much. The blade shape and lack of spydie hole on the 2 didn't click with me, so I sold mine, and the carbon fiber and recurve on the 3 aren't my favorite, so I've never owned one. It'd be interesting to see a Mantra 4 with the same design as the original but add on a single g10 scale in a color like the Brouwer (or make it fully g10 with a liner lock) and address the whole bearing issue. Might be pricey, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.