Next SE Sprint Run Desired?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hambone56rx

Re: Next SE Sprint Run Desired?

Post by hambone56rx »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:43 am
SE K390 Wharny Delica and Dragonfly for me. ;)

Also, let’s see some Cruwear with teeth!
Cambertree,

Have you tried a Cruwear SE??? I had asked in a separate thread if people thought it would perform well? Based off what I’ve gathered from the sharpening community here, a tough steel that’s easy to sharpen makes for a good SE knife. That should make Cruwear good?

Hamilton
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:00 pm
Cambertree,

Have you tried a Cruwear SE??? I had asked in a separate thread if people thought it would perform well? Based off what I’ve gathered from the sharpening community here, a tough steel that’s easy to sharpen makes for a good SE knife. That should make Cruwear good?

Hamilton
Hey Hamilton :) ,

No I haven’t tried any Cruwear in SE.

Yes I think it should perform quite well in SE or CE, with that balance of decent toughness and good strength at around the 61-62 HRc level that Spyderco run it at.

I’ve been enjoying using a 52100 CE PM2 for the last few months, and the serrated portion has been great. From tests of other Spydie 52100 knives, they seem to be in that 62 HRc range as well.

Resistance to edge rolling in those thin SE grinds has been excellent, and I haven’t experienced any chipping at all.

The easy ‘sharpenability’ is great for maintaining those SE edges that can cleanly slice through receipt paper.

I would expect Cruwear to behave quite similarly, with the bonus of better corrosion and wear resistance. I’m actually quite surprised we haven’t seen it in SE yet.

So, what knife would be your first pick to feature SE Cruwear?

I think a Cruwear Endura or Wharny Delica with teeth would be pretty amazing. :cool: ;)
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:51 pm
hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:00 pm
Cambertree,

Hamilton
Hey Hamilton :) ,

No I haven’t tried any Cruwear in SE.

Yes I think it should perform quite well in SE or CE, with that balance of decent toughness and good strength at around the 61-62 HRc level that Spyderco run it at.

I’ve been enjoying using a 52100 CE PM2 for the last few months, and the serrated portion has been great. From tests of other Spydie 52100 knives, they seem to be in that 62 HRc range as well.

Resistance to edge rolling in those thin SE grinds has been excellent, and I haven’t experienced any chipping at all.

The easy ‘sharpenability’ is great for maintaining those SE edges that can cleanly slice through receipt paper.

I would expect Cruwear to behave quite similarly, with the bonus of better corrosion and wear resistance. I’m actually quite surprised we haven’t seen it in SE yet.

So, what knife would be your first pick to feature SE Cruwear?

I think a Cruwear Endura or Wharny Delica with teeth would be pretty amazing. :cool: ;)
Cambertree,

EXCELLENT!

RockJumper?

Hamilton
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

hambone56rx wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:01 am
Cambertree,

EXCELLENT!

RockJumper?

Hamilton
Aww yeah!! I like the way you think! :cool:

A Rockjumper in SE is on my list. A Cruwear SE version would be fantastic! :cool: :)

I guess Spyderco are very busy with all the current exclusives they are producing, on top of their standard production lines. But I could see a place in future for exclusive collaborations with companies outside the usual knife retailers and distributors. Kinda like the Abel Reels lineup. Or the Kahr Arms Delica.

An SE Tasman Salt exclusive with a high end garden or arborist tool distributor?

An SE Cruwear Rockjumper exclusive with a climbing gear company?

An SE LC200N Catcherman exclusive with a quality fishing tackle distributor?

I’m sure you all could think of other great exclusive pairings to spread the love for SE Spydies. :) ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:31 am
hambone56rx wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:01 am
Cambertree,

EXCELLENT!

RockJumper?

Hamilton
Aww yeah!! I like the way you think! :cool:

A Rockjumper in SE is on my list. A Cruwear SE version would be fantastic! :cool: :)

I guess Spyderco are very busy with all the current exclusives they are producing, on top of their standard production lines. But I could see a place in future for exclusive collaborations with companies outside the usual knife retailers and distributors. Kinda like the Abel Reels lineup. Or the Kahr Arms Delica.

An SE Tasman Salt exclusive with a high end garden or arborist tool distributor?

An SE Cruwear Rockjumper exclusive with a climbing gear company?

An SE LC200N Catcherman exclusive with a quality fishing tackle distributor?

I’m sure you all could think of other great exclusive pairings to spread the love for SE Spydies. :) ;)
All on your list are darned good recommendations "Cambertree" :) We've just got to convince them to do a full SE version of the Catcherman>>and the LC200N is not a bad choice for blade steel.

But I also want to see some fixed blade models with teeth. Spyderco has really disappointed me in that area. The following models I would love to see offered in SE: The Streetbeat, The TEMP 2, The Southfork and some type of fixed blade Hawkbill in SE as well.

But right now I've got to give you and xceptnl both a high five>> because a New Catcherman in Full SE is in my top 3 for SE at this time.
kobold

Post by kobold »

A Military Z-wear / 3V SE.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kobold wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:05 am
A Military Z-wear / 3V SE.
Thanks for an excellent suggestion. Because we are way overdue for another full SE C-36 Military model. Being it was one of the best Spyderco SE models I've often wondered why it was ever eliminated from the main line up. But the important thing now is to get it back in the main line up.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:23 pm
All on your list are darned good recommendations "Cambertree" :) We've just got to convince them to do a full SE version of the Catcherman>>and the LC200N is not a bad choice for blade steel.

But I also want to see some fixed blade models with teeth. Spyderco has really disappointed me in that area. The following models I would love to see offered in SE: The Streetbeat, The TEMP 2, The Southfork and some type of fixed blade Hawkbill in SE as well.

But right now I've got to give you and xceptnl both a high five>> because a New Catcherman in Full SE is in my top 3 for SE at this time.
Thanks JD. :)

And thank you also for keeping us alerted to the value of a lot of these classic discontinued models.

The Catcherman sounds like a great knife, and one of the ones I regret not picking up when the last exclusive, the USN version was available. I think it must have nearly the thinnest bladestock of any of the folding Spydies, at least that I can think of.

It’s quite interesting what Sal has said about how in early days of Spyderco pioneering the Spyderedge, that there was a strong market preference towards SE models.

Then over time, and possibly with a lot of poorly designed, or less effective SE designs from other companies flooding the scene, there may have been a gradual backlash against SE in the general knife afi world.

And now, apparently, sales reflect a strong preference for PE models.

I know I had the same preference, before finally deciding to try out SE in one of my favourite models, the Dragonfly, based on you and Vivi’s and Evil D and Lance’s proselytising of that edge configuration. (I’m sure I’ve forgotten to mention some of the other high priests of the cult of SE!)

And now the scales may be starting to tip the other way again, thanks to the tireless work of you all.

Let’s not forget the Waterway too. I think that would be a prime candidate for SE in a fixed blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I need an Autonomy 1 in FFG SE/LC200N, same blade shape, satin blade, and I'm fine with whatever scales.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Stretch SS
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:04 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks JD. :)

And thank you also for keeping us alerted to the value of a lot of these classic discontinued models.

The Catcherman sounds like a great knife, and one of the ones I regret not picking up when the last exclusive, the USN version was available. I think it must have nearly the thinnest bladestock of any of the folding Spydies, at least that I can think of.

It’s quite interesting what Sal has said about how in early days of Spyderco pioneering the Spyderedge, that there was a strong market preference towards SE models.

Then over time, and possibly with a lot of poorly designed, or less effective SE designs from other companies flooding the scene, there may have been a gradual backlash against SE in the general knife afi world.

And now, apparently, sales reflect a strong preference for PE models.

I know I had the same preference, before finally deciding to try out SE in one of my favourite models, the Dragonfly, based on you and Vivi’s and Evil D and Lance’s proselytising of that edge configuration. (I’m sure I’ve forgotten to mention some of the other high priests of the cult of SE!)

And now the scales may be starting to tip the other way again, thanks to the tireless work of you all.

Let’s not forget the Waterway too. I think that would be a prime candidate for SE in a fixed blade.
Actually the older AUS-8 Catcherman has a thicker blade than the MBS-26 or H-1 models did. I've got one of those 2011 Green H-1 Catcherman models but I never use it. I like the AUS-8 and MBS-26 units a lot better.

However if they wanted to make a fully serrated H-1 Catcherman I would jump all over that one. But that AUS-8 model had a pretty stout blade on it in SE and CE both.

The Waterway in SE>> sounds great to me :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:07 pm
I need an Autonomy 1 in FFG SE/LC200N, same blade shape, satin blade, and I'm fine with whatever scales.
I'll tell you one you'll like better than that. And they are getting extremely tough to find>> even though they did a Sprint Run about 4 years ago. I'm speaking of the C-54 big Calypso model. And I believe that was the very first folder made with VG-10 if I remember correctly.

It is a Full Flat Grind. And after you made the observation that FFG blades in SE cut better I immediately remembered how well that bad boy would cut in SE.

I now put the C-54 and the Catcherman as dead even for models I want to see return in SE. And I wouldn't mind seeing your Autonomy in full SE as well. But if you get a full SE C-54 in your hand I think you'll agree.