We’ve got the Military, the Civilian... but would a Spyderco Politician be a good idea?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

We’ve got the Military, the Civilian... but would a Spyderco Politician be a good idea?

Postby ChrisinHove » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:59 am

Absolutely not - It would be the polar opposite of a Spydie!

It wouldn’t be the sharpest tool in the box, it would fold when you didn’t need it to, wouldn’t be what it said on the box, and would almost certainly be a fake!

(I can only talk from a U.K. perspective, of course. I really need to pay less attention to them).

Sumdumguy

Re: We’ve got the Military, the Civilian... but would a Spyderco Politician be a good idea?

Postby Sumdumguy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:13 am

This knife would have to be a saw, because they're all liars. :p

Evil D

Re: We’ve got the Military, the Civilian... but would a Spyderco Politician be a good idea?

Postby Evil D » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:22 am

Blade steel made of aluminum foil but somehow still rusts. Lock designed to deliberately close at the worst possible time. All the screws somehow have red Loctite on them yet also manage to get loose but you can't adjust them. Instead of MAP being 40% off it's 40% over MSRP.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

TkoK83Spy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:24 am

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:22 am
Blade steel made of aluminum foil but somehow still rusts. Lock designed to deliberately close at the worst possible time. All the screws somehow have red Loctite on them yet also manage to get loose but you can't adjust them. Instead of MAP being 40% off it's 40% over MSRP.
Hahaha, sounds about right.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

bearrowland

Postby bearrowland » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:25 am

Exactly!
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:13 am
This knife would have to be a saw, because they're all liars. :p
Barry
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

AlexRus

Postby AlexRus » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:28 am

Spyderco Politician? Nah. I'll pass...
What's the point?
According to the name, it would be a useless, dull, but crazy expensive knife :D

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:41 am

The handle would cut, the blade would be dull.
Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date. :rolleyes: :spyder: Native in 440v was my gateway Spyderco! :spyder: Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:44 am

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:59 am
Absolutely not - It would be the polar opposite of a Spydie!

It wouldn’t be the sharpest tool in the box, it would fold when you didn’t need it to, wouldn’t be what it said on the box, and would almost certainly be a fake!

Well, right, but then: It would not be used for cutting anyway, cause the
actual real work would still have to be done by Military and Police (and, yes, Civilians) ..;)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

bearfacedkiller

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:49 am

You would keep it in the rotation for 45 years but never actually use it because it never meant to actually do anything productive in the first place.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

p_atrick

Postby p_atrick » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:59 am

Why would I want a knife that refuses to help me because I am not rich enough?

jacala

Postby jacala » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:15 am

The top end would need to be small and the bottom end fat.
It would be high priced and fairly useless.
The upkeep would send you broke fast because of high maintenance costs.

legOFwhat?

Postby legOFwhat? » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:32 am

Double the reason to keep away from children!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:53 am

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:22 am
I mean... this sounds good, but unless I have to wait years, (maybe decades?) for an opportunity to pay for an application to (hopefully be able to) buy one, I'm not interested.
sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

...But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark"...

sal

James Y

Postby James Y » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:08 am

Unfortunately, no matter how terrible a knife in every respect the Politician would be, it would still sell like crazy, because people would still “buy into” them and keep believing the hype. Especially the sprints, with different-colored handle scales (red or blue), and different steels, which would promise more and better, but still end up being the same degree of useless. If you’re unhappy with it because it doesn’t function as promised (which you inevitably will be), you’re stuck with it for the next several years, because the return policy for this model doesn’t allow immediate returns. But people keep on buying them anyway. Most of them end up being used as golf course ornaments. :p

Jim

anycal

Postby anycal » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:16 am

Well, you can put it up for a poll. But I have a feeling it would end up being polarizing and divisive.
Peter

curlyhairedboy

Postby curlyhairedboy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:17 am

I'd rather have an Advocate.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

TkoK83Spy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:28 am

How about The Anarchist!
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

bobnikon

Postby bobnikon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:32 am

The great thing is you wouldn't need a clip or a sheath. You store it conveniently "tip in" between your shoulder blades.
Last edited by bobnikon on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

JD Spydo

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:11 am

I'm kind of surprised That TAZKRISTI hasn't censored this thread :rolleyes: You all know how she doesn't like anything that leans toward "politics">> and who can blame her either :rolleyes:

As long as the politicians here in Missouri leave the 4 inch blade limit on folders alone I'll leave them alone. Yep!! if it Ain't Broke Then Don't Try To Fix It :)

TkoK83Spy

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:49 am

No lines being crossed yet is pretty impressive, and lots of hilarious posts!
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”