"Climbing story" in the newest Spyderco Byte

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

"Climbing story" in the newest Spyderco Byte

Post by Wartstein »

Hey climbers,

remember the discussions if one should or should not carry a knife while climbing? A rather heated, but always still respectful and interesting one - see in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=85940&start=40.
(I have not intention though to restart that discussion! :eek: )

One of Spydercos crew member, Hilary, let her climbing story and how she profited from carrying an knife share by Kristi in that very thread.
And now it is in the Byte, related to the introduction of the Rock Jumper! https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... 25e010da72

Pretty cool, I think!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blues

Re: "Climbing story" in the newest Spyderco Byte

Post by blues »

I don't climb anymore, but was active as a rock climber and mountaineer from the 70's through 80's...in the Wind RIver Range, Alaska, Adirondacks, White Mountains, Shawangunks and a bit in Yosemite.

I always had a knife on me...always. And once, on a climb in the Wind Rivers needed to cut and splice a rope that I was rappelling on after rockfall during a lightning storm and minor avalanche cut through a portion. Had I not had a knife it might have been a really bad day. It was harrowing enough up to that point.

Have a knife...always...imho.
- Retired from the chase -
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Had you not brought it up, I was going to offer congratulations on an issue well done. Of course my favorite article was Hilary's adventure in Red Rocks.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Hey, I haven't seen that long thread! I also dabbled in a bit of rock climbing myself many years ago. There are lots of limestone crags and karsts in our country. Only top rope for me though.

That's me toproping a single pitch limestone wall about 9 years ago. Your walls there in Europe and the US must be pretty gnarly. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I used to rock climb and I was an Always-Knifer. Spyderco Rescue.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Cool article and interesting discussion (I guess I'll leave it at that).

I used to climb a lot some years back, mostly indoor though, but this was long before a developed a particular interest for knives, so I can't really recall if a knife used to be part of my kit. It would today, absolutely.
But life got in the way, and when I couldn't do it on a regular basis, my climbing performances went into a gradual decline. After a while it got hard to justify taking time time off from a busy schedule to go practice for something I was only getting worse at. It was time to prioritize, cut down on activities and hope to stay decently good at a few things rather than mediocre at a slew of things.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Always have a knife. It was a rule drilled into me from boyhood, long before Gibbs and his rules.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:51 am
Hey, I haven't seen that long thread! I also dabbled in a bit of rock climbing myself many years ago. There are lots of limestone crags and karsts in our country. Only top rope for me though.

That's me toproping a single pitch limestone wall about 9 years ago. Your walls there in Europe and the US must be pretty gnarly. :)

Cool looking kind of rock... where do you live / where was this?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Think of it as a spare tire. Hope not to need it, but glad you have it if you do. Many climbers carry a small Ladybug.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:12 am
nerdlock wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:51 am

Cool looking kind of rock... where do you live / where was this?

Hi Wartstein, we're in Southeast Asia, due to the karst topography of most of our mountainous regions and the constant rainy season, most crags and walls here are exposed limestone. Pretty soft rock and dangerous shen wet... :D So unlike your rock walls there in Europe... I believe granite? :)

I recall I used some cheap serrated edge knife during those days...9 years ago I still wasn't using Spydercos. The Rockjumper in SE would have been incredibly handy back then not only for emergency rope cutting, but also for removing foliage and hanging vegetation that might block a route.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet