I have SKD

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FullFlatMind

I have SKD

Post by FullFlatMind »

Every year at the start of Fall weather, I start to experience the sudden onset of a set of symptoms. These include a strong desire to carry more than one knife, regularly look at knives on the internet, and impulsive purchases of knives. I spend a lot more time looking at this forum and commenting. I start taking pictures of my knives and posting them online. I research different blade steels, shapes, and what the best sharpening technique is. I have internal debates on the subjects of edge retention vs toughness vs corrosion resistance. Once Spring arrives the symptoms will subside until the next Fall.

I have been diagnosed with Seasonal Knife Disorder (SKD). There is no cure. The only way to treat it is to indulge in it or for my wife to hide my computer and credit cards. If you too have experienced these symptoms, you are not alone. You are in good company and we can get through it together.

If think you might have SKD and feel you need help, just remember that some people have Chronic Knife Disorder (CHD) and there is no help for those people.
Sharp Guy

Re: I have SKD

Post by Sharp Guy »

Apparently, I have SKD during all 4 seasons. It's not just during the fall for me. Sometimes I feel a little better but I think that's just because my SGD (Seasonal Gun Disorder) kicks in and temporarily overrides the SKD. I often vow I'm going to stop buying knives so I can buy that new target rifle I've been considering or a case of that killer match ammo. But then, I look at the Spyderco Forum or IG and see some new exclusive that I can't live without and the SKD is back stronger than ever.

Is there a SKD Hotline I can call for help?

EDIT: I just reread the OP and I think it's actually CKD I have. Forget the hotline, I'm beyond help
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I am mostly cured of SGD but I'm quickly moving towards CKD.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

This is the hot line.

Thanks for sharing. I have SKD too. When I am under stress it turns to MKPD, Monthly Knife Purchase Disorder. With the quality community found on the forum I am able to put things in perspective. I am always searching for balance with knives as a part of a healthy life. I did not want to bomb another post but 100% of us can agree we need cutting tools as part of a healthy life.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I have Chronic Knife Disorder and for the month of October I'll be taking healthy dose of Rex45 for the pain and prevention of Sudden Onset Knife Disorder (SOKD).

I'll relapse once the MT's start shipping I'm sure. Is there any hope?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

(At the local chapter of Anonymous Knifholics)

(Me) - Hi. I am Menipo and have CFD (Chronic Folder Disorder)*
(All attendants sitting in a circle) - Hi Menipo. Welcome Menipo ...

* (Thanks God, my disorder does not extend to fixed blades)
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

My condition is more specifically Seasonal Spyderco Disorder as I stopped buying other brands a while ago. Not that I'm opposed to other brands but Spyderco has too much cool stuff that floats my boat and I have only so much cash.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I'm with Sharp Guy; I don't think there is a season that doesn't affect my SKD.

My Dr. suggested I take two Para 3s and follow up in 3-4 weeks. It might surprise some of you to hear (read) that I had no discernable improvement, even when doubling the dosage. Yes, I know I shouldn't make these decisions on my own, but I was desperate.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm fine!! I can quit anytime I want to!
*sobs while sharpening knives*
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Is this disorder also related to EDC Elbow?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Accumulator's Syndrome is the forgotten disease. :(
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I feel bad for people who have TKD (Terminal knife disorder), 'cause it's like, they're gonna die
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:15 pm
Yeah I went through the denial stage too. Admitting you have problem is the first step toward recovery. Apparently it's only a small step though because I no longer deny it, now I've just accepted it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I actually have OCKPD - that's Obsessive Compulsive Knife Purchase Disorder. Send halp.
--Jeremy
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:26 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:15 pm
Yeah I went through the denial stage too. Admitting you have problem is the first step toward recovery. Apparently it's only a small step though because I no longer deny it, now I've just accepted it
Acceptance is key. Resistance is futile.
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:36 pm
I actually have OCKPD - that's Obsessive Compulsive Knife Purchase Disorder. Send halp.
I think I have this too! I need to join a support group or something.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Blackpearl wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:52 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Oh you already found the support group!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:15 pm
Blackpearl wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:52 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Oh you already found the support group!
We're a bunch of enablers!

If we're the support group...

Uh oh...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

You people will be OK. Most of you have just one or two disorders. That’s great, and should not worry you much at all.
I mostly suffer from chronic disorders, but how they rank in severity is largely seasonal.
This time of year is especially bad, with hunting-, fishing- and hiking season all intersecting at pretty high intensity levels. And at the same time one has to ramp up for skiing-, biathlon- and indoor shooting season. It’s hard, that’s for sure.